Snyders JerkyWidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who hunts coyotes with a cast bullet

Boolit Bub

Who hunts coyotes with a cast bullet

I have a 7mm-08 and it shoots cast very well, would that be ok for coyotes out to 150 yards. I am thinking that it would not cause much pelt damage

It would be a hard cast bullet at about 1900 fps

Boolit Grand Master
    I think it would work just fine
    it may however act like a FMJ of course depending on alloy
    placement is key just like with any hunting
    so venture out and enjoy the fruits of your labor
    FWIW
    I do not have a rifle that I consider a predator rifle that shoots cast
    the smallest I have is a 30 cal but areas I hunt offer longer shots
    and sometimes coyotes hang up way way out there so I use cooper saboted
    projectiles for predator hunting @ 3000 fps +
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    I use a 7mm TCU with the Lee "soup can" 140 gr RFGC at an MV of 1700 FPS out of a TC carbine and it does a wonderful job out to 250 yards but I haven't done much this winter so far due the positively awful weather. I did get an unusually large doe with it in the fall at 90 yards and that same load plus boolit did a splendid job with her as well.

.44 does pretty good.
    ATTACH=CONFIG]213259[/ATTACH]Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00154.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	213260
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0040.JPG  
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

maybe it is the angle, but that coyote's face looks more dog or wolf-like, as in it has a blunter profile. possible it is a coy-dog, with more coy than dog, or coy wolf?? I know in the south they now have Mexican wolf- coyote hybrids that are causeing problems... they are bolder than the reg. coyotes, quilbilly, I am surprised to hear of your long range success with a wadcutter. I like wadcutters out here to shoot raccoons getting at our chickens, but didn't know they stayed stable past 50-75 yards, is it because of the fast twist you think?
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Master
    While Ive killed a few coyotes and bobcats with cast I've pretty much pulled away from it. Mostly a 311041 HP @ 1800 fps from 3 different calibers. Good shot placement anchors them right there. If shot placement is a little off they do the tail chase dance and scoot into the brush where their difficult to find.

Ive found coyotes to be very difficult to consistently make good shots on. Their rarely still for more than a moment and when the fur is off their not a very big target.
    I went so far as to have Eric make me a deep HP pin hoping the boolit would fragment on coyotes but never gave it a good test run. I just went back to my 223 with jacketed. It works very well until ranges get too long. At 400 yds coyotes tend to chase their tail for a second before scooting off. If possible I shoot in amongst the storm which sometimes works.

However most of my coyotes are shot well inside shotgun range, many much closer. Ive just always been a rifleman instead of a shotgunner.

Guns tested with cast have been 45 colt, 50 cal MZ, 30-30, 30-40 Krag, 30-06, 7x57, 8x57, 338 win mag. All have taken coyotes or bobcats. Some have took several but I've found the stuff going 3000 fps gives you a bigger margin of error.

All my deer hunting is with cast and I often call on stand if I'm bored. I killed 2 bobcats this year with cast while deer hunting. It will certainly work.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Looking forwards to trying out #287308.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	287308.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	213263

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    Last "yote" I perforated was with our lowly M1 Carbine. Yote was playing about in a cut bean field and let me sneek up through the brush and put some 115 grain GC into him.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Grand Master
    Roughly half of the coyotes I have taken got kanked with cast bullets. Many more have been taken with handguns than with rifles, often while bird hunting with a shotgun. Placement matters most, followed by caliber. I don't recall a cast bullet ever being recovered--they all passed through. Lyman #358156 running 1300 FPS at the muzzle is probably the most-used bullet. I did whack a coyote with #311041 at about 115 yards a few years ago. It was cast as a Bruce B Soft Point, and BANGflopped that songdog right now. Velocity was 1800 FPS as it left the barrel.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master

Like wolfer I too have killed several coyotes with the 311041HP out of several 30 cal rifles. I push them at 1950 - 2200 fps depending on rifle/cartridge. They did the job quite well.

Larry Gibson
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Banned

This one made the mistake of walking in front of my tree stand during the 2009 muzzle loader season. Load was the RCBS 250 grain Keith bullet (.44) and 70 grains of Triple Seven. Pic doesn't really show it, but on the opposite side there was almost more exit hole than coyote. Very destructive, range was about 25 yards.

Name:	Muzzle loader Coyote.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	213279

Boolit Master
    Three with a 44, all cast. One was a flank shot as it turned just as I fired. Did not find that one there was blood.

One with my 357 Marlin but shooting jwords in those days.

The rest were nearly all with jwords sprung from high velocity varmint rifles.

Three44s

I've killed deer & big hogs with cast bullets in .30-30, 45-70 & .44 mag. but the only coyote I ever killed was with a load of #6 shot while pheasant hunting in N. Dakota. He came out of a cattail bog like a swarm of yellow jackets were on his butt & it was an instant kill. I never recovered a cast bullet from any game animal either. I have had them to blow up (fragment). That can happen if you drive hard alloys too fast. With me it was full power loads in the .30-30 with ordinary wheel weight metal. About 2200 fps with 3031 & the 170 gr. Lyman #311041 CB, if memory serves me correctly. I am not sure but I think the load was 30 gr. of 3031. The Lyman 47 th. ed. lists that bullet at 2016 fps out of a 26" bbl. using 27 gr. of 3031. I was shooting a model 94 with 20" bbl.

Boolit Grand Master
    There was a time in years past--before the tree hugger "Fur Is Murder" idiocy took hold and fur prices collapsed--that I did a bit of fur hunting. Most of that was done with the 223s loaded with FMJs to about 1500 FPS in a mostly vain attempt to keep the bullets from transiting through-and-through.......one hole in the pelt instead of two. It did work, once in a while. The Speer Manual still publishes reduced loads for the 22 caliber centerfires--my latest edition (13th) has the data. I never did try castings for fur hunting when I was doing that (mid-1970s through late 1980s). I have listened to the diatribe from the game managers about prey/predator balance, but all that aside--coyote numbers didn't start getting out of control until after the fur market (and fur harvesting) collapsed. I still hunt the things, and blast them when they screw up and show themselves. Buzzards, ravens, and crows gotta eat too.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Banned

I haven't killed a lot of them either, but lately have been feeling that shotguns are probably a lot better predator medicine than most guys seem to think. Even where I live in Kansas which is a good bit more open than where I grew up, it seems like I see them close and moving quickly. I called this one in about a year ago and killed it with a 12 gauge. Hit another one about a week later and based on the blood spray pattern on the leaves where it was standing, it couldn't have lived long, but managed to get away.

Name:	Coyote 1.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	141.1 KB 
ID:	213282

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by quilbilly View Post
    I use a 7mm TCU with the Lee "soup can" 140 gr RFGC at an MV of 1700 FPS out of a TC carbine and it does a wonderful job out to 250 yards but I haven't done much this winter so far due the positively awful weather. I did get an unusually large doe with it in the fall at 90 yards and that same load plus boolit did a splendid job with her as well.
    quilbilly if you don't mind me asking what powder are you using under that soup can? Thanks

Vendor Sponsor
    I got one a couple of summers ago with my 32-20 1894cl marlin and a 115 gr lee 6 cavity group buy boolit. I just happened to notice a skid mark in the dirt and found the boolit nicely mushroomed. He was loping quartering away from me about 30 yds away with a fat ground squirrel hanging out of both sides of his mouth. I just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    Looking forwards to trying out #287308.

Name:	287308.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	213263
    Now that is interesting! A top punch with the HP pin built in. This whole rig looks to be a custom set up. That gives me a few ideas? Did you do this yourself or have it done? Nice!
    Chill Wills

That excellent work was done by Erik at http://www.hollowpointmold.com/standard-hp-molds/

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowa Fox View Post
    quilbilly if you don't mind me asking what powder are you using under that soup can? Thanks
    My carbine likes either 4198 or 4759 (no longer available). My best accuracy has been with the 130 gr RNGC from a Lee mold with 20 gr of 4198. The "Soup can" is not quite as accurate but is a better hunting boolit. Every barrel seems to have a different personality so your results might be different.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast