RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: I had a win, 9mm Norinco NP29

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar

I had a win, 9mm Norinco NP29

A young guy at the club is selling all of his pistols and most of his rifles because he just bought a very expensive trike.

I ended up getting this near new pistol, it had fired exactly 150 rounds! It was a very reasonable price, but also included 2000 once fired Winchester brass (looks like new, all tumbled, etc), a new set of Lee dies (like I need another set of them ), 500 commercial cast bullets and about 200 reloads from the club ammo loader (I have to give him the brass when its all fired off).

I have about 2000 civilian used cases and about 3-4 thousand milsup cases already.

I also have a Beretta 92 FS which I am not overly fond of.

I reckon I will sell off my brass and use the new stuff. By my figuring, I will give the commercial bullets to my friend (I owe him $50 for some Black Powder I got off him), sell all my brass and I will pretty much end up with a free pistol and 2000 nice shiny Winchester cases. Then I will hold out for a good price on my 92FS!

The Norinco shoots really well, I was surprised, much tighter groups than the 92FS. I suppose you gotta get a win in occasionally.

As he was leaving my place, he came back and knocked on the door. I went out and he was standing there with 1000 new CCI Small Pistol Primers. He said 'I have no use for these now, I suppose you may as well have them.' I know he shoots a 223 a lot and is planning on getting a 223 F Class rifle. I went in and got him a box of 1000 federal Small Rifle Primers. He was wrapped.

I will oil this baby up and throw about 500 rounds through it in the next week or so (thats how I run autos in). Then I will fix what needs fixing or tuning (maybe open the sights up a bit) and settle down to a whole lot of 9mm brass chucking.

I was going to buy a 9mm Bbl for the Colt 38 Super that I have, but I couldn;t resist a freebeie pistol!

My son in law is Chinese and guns are a big no no over there. I sent him an email tellign him he is now a gun owner (even if it is only for a week or two every couple of years He is over the moon!

Last edited by Four Fingers of Death; 02-06-2010 at 07:26 AM.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

if it is any thing like mine you'll need a fat boolit I've slugged 2 they both went .357"
    I put a set of wooden grips on mine I think it made the pistol look a lot nicer (to me anyway)
    If your after some magazines give Shooter wholesale a ring I got Nickel plated Mecgars for $40 each (Aussie Dollars)
    would you be able to measure the OD of your barrel? just a little curious to see if there is any difference compared to mine

Boolit Master
    I think ya did real good!

Been looking for a 1911 platform in 9mm or 40 S&W and I've heard good things about the Norinco's but those sights have got to go!

By the way if you have access to Alliant's Bluedot try some over 125 grain boolits like the Lee 125 2r rnl!

I used my 38Super MecGar mags, they worked fine.

I've always used 125s and 4Gns of 231 in 9mms. Worked a treat on my first 9mm and has worked a treat on subsequent ones. Next time I reload 9mms, I will grab a bit off a mate who uses it and try it, thanks. 231 is a hard act to follow though.

What have I got to do to be able to insert mags in one push? At present you have to depress the mag release to get them in. I suppose removing metal from the mag release where it blocks them.

I'll measure it when I get a chance and let you know.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Banned

i didn't even know they made a 1911 in 9mm.
    stupid government here, stopped imports from china long time ago.
    i have one in 45 and two of the norinco 9mm's, one nice accurate one and one 10 footer.

good score, nice gun, shame about the hairy legs
    Lead foot;

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Four Fingers of Death View Post
    I used my 38Super MecGar mags, they worked fine.

I've always used 125s and 4Gns of 231 in 9mms. Worked a treat on my first 9mm and has worked a treat on subsequent ones. Next time I reload 9mms, I will grab a bit off a mate who uses it and try it, thanks. 231 is a hard act to follow though.

What have I got to do to be able to insert mags in one push? At present you have to depress the mag release to get them in. I suppose removing metal from the mag release where it blocks them.

I'll measure it when I get a chance and let you know.
    1911's in 9mm are certainly fun, plenty of noise and not a lot of recoil.

Sounds as if the spring in the magazine catch is a little bit too strong, I would check it first.

Robert

Mick, I've been very happy with the two Norinco's I've had. I think you'll like yours.

The mag has to push the mag release to the right in order to seat properly. A little judicious polishing is probably what you need.

Strip the gun to the bare frame. Insert your mags into the stripped frame to see if they bind. If they do, determine what the problem is before proceding. If they move freely in the bare frame but bind in the assembled gun, the problem is in the mag release, the trigger bow or the slide release.

Remove the spring and keeper from the mag release and insert it into the frame. It should slide from side to side under its own weight. Its not unusual to find some burrs that interfere with its travel. Take your stone and knock off anything that doesn't look like a mag release.

On the right side, under the ledge that engages the notch in the mag could use some attention. That's where the mag contacts it to push it out of the way...slick it up a bit.

A reduced power mag catch spring will also help a bunch. Some guys will say the reduced power spring will dump the mag under recoil, but I've used the Wolf springs for years with no problems. I have seen issues with springs clipped to shorter length.

While you're working on the mag release, check to make sure it allows the mags to drop free from the gun without binding. With the spring and keeper in the mag release and a mag inserted gradually apply pressure to the mag release till the mag drops. It should slide out without resistance.

Now, hold the mag in the gun by pushing up on the base and depress the mag release to the limit of its travel. While maintaining pressure on the mag release turn loose of the mag and it should drop without resistance. If it doesn't then the mag release is binding on the left side of the mag...a very common problem. Relieve the left side of the mag release with a round file or stone. You sometimes have to remove quite a bit of metal and it doesn't hurt anything to remove a bit more than necessary.

When you have everything working to your satisfaction in the stripped frame, install the trigger and try the mags again. If there's any binding now, the trigger bow is the culprit.

Alrighty then.....that turned into more than I intended. I kept going back to add more details. I hope I didn't confuse you too much. The mag catch is one of those little things that "don't get no respect" but can cause a lot of grief when they don't work right. A systematic approach to its fit and finish will help understand how it works and how it interacts with the other parts and will help diagnose any problems you may have with it.

Enjoy your new Chi-com toy.

Jerry

Hope I'm not hijacking your thread here is a pic of mine
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_1265.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by smlekid View Post
    Hope I'm not hijacking your thread here is a pic of mine
    No worries about hi-jacking the thread SMLEKid, that gun looks good. What is the brand of the beavertail and did you have to do any work to fit it? The standard one is pretty ordinary and chops into my big hands. I am in the process of getting a bit of work done to the Colt, I probably should do them the same. I sort of like the standard grips, but time will tell. I may have to go to wooden ones for military service pistol competition. I once had a Springfield 1911A1 with brown plastic grips. They sorta looked like wood until you looked close (I never noticed until it was pointed out to me). I got howled down every time I took it to the range, but they were great grips and provide plenty of grip without cutting you up. They looked like sin though.

Thanks for the info KYCaster, that will be a big help. It is only a problem when you are trying to insert the mags, they stop half way and won't go in until you depress the release button. The fly out when you press the button to eject them.
    Last edited by Four Fingers of Death; 02-08-2010 at 08:46 AM.

that is how the pistol came out of the box from new mine had the rubber grips but I replaced those to keep it in class 1 for MRC shooting

Quote Originally Posted by smlekid View Post
    that is how the pistol came out of the box from new mine had the rubber grips but I replaced those to keep it in class 1 for MRC shooting
    Weird, quiet different to mine. Time to get the welder out and build mine up a tad. Probably better off just forking out for the same beavertail on both guns so that I get a consistent grip.