MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: Reloading 7.62x39 cast

Reloading 7.62x39 cast

I am thinking about getting into reloading 7.62x39 and want to shoot a cheap cast bullet i am wondering if i can take a 158gr cast 38 special bullet and size it down thru a lee sizer to .311 so i can load it in the 7.62

Boolit Master

sorry, you'll either break whatever press you have or the sizing die itself trying to squeeze the .358 bullet through a .311 sizing die.

Spend the $20-25 dollars and buy a LEE 155gr .311 bullet that was designed for the 7.62x39 cartridge and that works great in SKSs, AKs, and other rifles (I use it in my 7.62x39 chambered Turk small-ring Mauser).

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

thanks that's kinda what i fiqured i was just trying to keep it simple and not have to spend the time casting more calibers

Moderator Emeritus

Lee's 311x155 was made for the 7.62x39.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

I shoot the Lee gas checked .312 160 gr. tumble lube version of the X39 mold in a couple of my SKS rifles with excellent results. Bullet drops close to .314 using WW alloy,gas checks are applied with the Lee .314 push through sizer.

I've pushed it up over 1900 fps. gas checked using two coats of Alox/JPW lube and 2400 powder. I also shoot the same bullet in my Mosin M44 with equal results. Shoots pretty decent in my Sav. 99 in 300 Sav. as well.
    Last edited by res45; 02-03-2012 at 12:56 AM.

where are u guys getting your brass from, the 7.62x39 i keep finding is really expensive and how many times are u reloading the brass

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I'm up to 10x on some of mine. Swaping & selling and through several learning curves it can be formed from other things I've found laying around like (after I swapped it for 357) 6.8 Rem run it through the sizer cut the neck . If your a little bit skilled and really want to work for the free brass you can turn the rim off 30-30/32 Win spcl and cut a new groove run it through your sizer and cut off the neck. The 3030/32 Win trick works for 25/30/32 and 6.8 Remingtons too.

My best successes w/an sks are here leading was a bugger past the gas port.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=122932

Good luck
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

I bought mine local or online either from Graf & Son or people that had it for sale on several different forums in the components trading or selling sections. I currently have six reloads on some of my brass and my SKS rifles don't beat the brass up.

The cast bullet loads especially the 12.5 gr. loads of 2400 that cycle my Chinese SKS ( your results may vary ) don't put much wear and tare on the brass and drop it right at my feet. I use mainly Win. and Prvi Partizan brass which uses LR primers and I have about 100 Rem. cases that use SR primers.

Boolit Master

I bought an initial box or two of Remington 125gr SP to start but the other several hundred cases I have in 7.62x39 have come about through trades or range pickups.

There are a lot of non-reloaders out there who will buy the good boxer brass cartridges but leave them on the range thinking they are cheap mil-surp berdan brass. Its an easy trick to lean over and see if its reloadable. If its good, it goes in the range bag for cleaning and processing later at home. If its berdan or steel/polymer coated than it still gets picked up and thrown in the range trash bin.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master
    I use the Lee .312 155 gn. for my AK-47. You can find range brass or you can purchase un-primed 7.62x39 brass from Midway or other brass specialty sites. Just search on google for 7.62x39 brass for reloading. And you can buy by the 50 count for about $20-$25. Top Brass and Affordable Brass & Bullets come to mind. Winchester, Privi Partisan and Sellor & Belot are cartridges that are boxer primed. Hope this helps. BC
    Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father but by me."

Boolit Buddy
    I've got over 21 reloads on IMI and winchester brass, but I anneal every 5th reload or so, and don't shoot max loads.

After slugging my barrel I use a .314 diameter boolit.
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive".

Boolit Buddy

Is there a way to make these higher powered cast loads not cycle the bolt. In other words, make an SKS into a single shot, bolt action?
    Will Fly For Boolits

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Pretty easy for me , mine has a gas cut-off for the grenade launcher kit. Some guys have reported removing the gas piston from the tube.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Westwindmike View Post
    Is there a way to make these higher powered cast loads not cycle the bolt. In other words, make an SKS into a single shot, bolt action?
    Take the gas piston out?

Larry Gibson

Boolit Buddy

That's what I was thinking. Just wanting to make sure it was safe to do.
    Will Fly For Boolits

Boolit Master

I have a Ruger Mini-30, and it came with 470 chinese steel cased, berdan primed cartridges. I've pulled the boolits from them, and reloaded them with lead boolits, as this rifle looks to be either unfired, or shot very little, and so I'm planning on only feeding this rifle a diet of lead cast boolits. Once these cases are fired, I'm planning on reloading them. I already have the proper berdan primers, an RCBS berdan decapper, and reloading dies as well, so I'm going to reload them at least once, maybe more, depending on how the cases hold up. I also have 200 brass cases I traded for, in case my plans for reloading the steel cases doesn't work. The chicom ammo I have has 2 different style casings, one has a brown color, and are polymer coated, the others have a copper wash on them (both inside the case, and out) that might also have a polymer or possibly laquer coating on them, but if so, it's a very think coating, as it feels like a metallic finish, not a plastic one (such as coated ammo has).
    - MikeS

Want to checkout my feedback? It's here:
    http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...d.php?t=136410