Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: deriming 22lr cases

deriming 22lr cases

I have 3 large flat rate boxes of 22lr brass. I got all 3boxes run threw the pins and dawn dish soap and lemon shine. that is step one now on to step two deriming them. this step is going to take a while to do. spent most of this afternoon doing that I got about 1 inch in the bottom of a 5 gal bucket done. in the morning I am going to fire up the oven and anneal what I have done today. while I derim some more brass. i will add more later as I get more done on this project D Crockett

Boolit Master
    Take lots of breaks, tennis elbow is real and it doesn’t even require tennis!

Boolit Master

I broke down and got a pneumatic press from btsniper because it was killing my shoulder.

Boolit Master

That sounds like a great winter project.
    Finishing a few bullets before working all that brass, will give you a chance to change the process if you find it needed.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Master
    What kind of press are you using?
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Banned
    I added a little longer handle, and started using both hands. Shoulder and elbow are both screwed.

Boolit Master
    You will find that Federal brass is harder to work than most of the others. Point forming different head stamps can be a challenge. I like to separate the different head stamps for consistency. Just my way of doing things. I know it takes a lot more time, but provides a lot less frustration in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by NoZombies View Post
    What kind of press are you using?
    nozombies I am using a RCBS press that came with my dies I got a good deal from BTsniper I got the dies and a press all in one deal Bryan is a good man to work with D Crockett

Banned
    yep. You can deal with BT with confidence. Takes a sec to respond sometimes, but he always does. The guy has a life, cant hate on him for that.

Boolit Grand Master
    I found it easier if I anneal first.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Master
    Thanks, I was mostly just curious. Back when I was using an RCBS press, I wasn't super happy about how much effort was required. I ended up making up a derimming die and punch set that allows me to derim after an anneal cycle without popping rims off, and it reduced shoulder and elbow strain significantly.

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 454PB View Post
    I found it easier if I anneal first.
    Too many broken cases when I did that.

Boolit Master
    I have a pneumatic and hydraulic press. I prefer the pneumatic press, it's faster and less push thru's. I anneal after I derim.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackoutBuilder View Post
    Too many broken cases when I did that.
    With the improved die, I've only had 2 or possibly 3 (hard to remember exactly) in many thousands with the annealed cases. I had at least as many pop without annealing, so for me it's a non-issue.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by NoZombies View Post
    Thanks, I was mostly just curious. Back when I was using an RCBS press, I wasn't super happy about how much effort was required. I ended up making up a derimming die and punch set that allows me to derim after an anneal cycle without popping rims off, and it reduced shoulder and elbow strain significantly.
    When I read about making a modified die, it arises my curiosity. What did you do to get the desired results from your dies.
    Bill

Boolit Master
    I made the die with a gentle and rounded lead, and the punch with a very nearly round nose. The combination has worked very well for me with annealed jackets

Boolit Master

Thanks

Boolit Master

Intrigued. Would an Ultramag press be advantageous to this operation? Of my presses, that's probably the one I'd use.

Banned
    I dont see why not. I had my dies set too high in the lee press and was having blowouts constantly. Once BT figured out what I was doing wrong, everything started working fine. Try and see.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackoutBuilder View Post
    I added a little longer handle, and started using both hands. Shoulder and elbow are both screwed.
    I too found that a slightly longer handle makes a big difference (especially when you hit Federal brass). On my Lee classic cast, I found that 4" extra makes things quite a bit easier without giving you too much leverage (I broke a few lever sleeves when I went longer than 4"). I also gets your hand just above the bar on BT Sniper's AES. Also, at least if standing, adjusting the handle to where you're pushing down instead of pulling back when the casing hits the die makes just as much of a difference since your body weight plays a bigger role.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast