RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will a .311 supressor work right on a .308?

Will a .311 supressor work right on a .308?

Debating to get a suppressor for a 300 Blackout. Thought why not get a .311 to use on my russian toys as well, will .003 make that much difference? Anyone know?

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    For your purposes, yes, provided you can hook it up properly. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master
    Shouldn't be a problem, I use my 9mm suppressor on a 357 Handi Rifle. I did contact the manufacturer before I tried it.
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemingway

most suppressors have a latitude for bullet yaw so if you measure your 9mm (.355-.358 bore) suppressor it will most likely be .400 or even larger - I use my .30 caliber can on my Mosin '93 without issue lots of others use on AK's - biggest issue would be pressure - if your can is rated for 300 whisper subsonic only and you used with like higher pressure supersonic cartridges .308 or 7.62x54R then that would be a problem. So contact the maker before buying to confirm what it will stand up too. Also be aware that with comblock ammo you may have corrosive primer's that you will have to soak to clean up after.

Boolit Buddy
    Artful, have you tried the chamber inserts that sportsmans guide sells for your russian? It allows the use of 32 acp pistol ammo.

I've used it, and it's pretty quiet unsuppressed, like a "cat's sneeze load".

Andy.
    Check out my vendors section:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?231-Andy-s-Slow-Rust-Blue

"As democracy is perfected, the office of the President represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and complete narcissistic moron."
    H.L. Mencken

Boolit Man

"chamber inserts that sportsmans guide sells for your russian"

That sounds interesting... I couldn't find it though... could someone post a part number or a link please?

Thanks in Advance

Boolit Master
    A lot of people use .308 suppressors for .223 with perfectly acceptable results. Your application should work even better.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by LuvMy1911 View Post
    "chamber inserts that sportsmans guide sells for your russian"

That sounds interesting... I couldn't find it though... could someone post a part number or a link please?

Thanks in Advance
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=587989

here's a link
    Check out my vendors section:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?231-Andy-s-Slow-Rust-Blue

"As democracy is perfected, the office of the President represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and complete narcissistic moron."
    H.L. Mencken

Boolit Buddy
    This is my next planned purchase. http://www.swrsuppressors.com/produc...ane-9-hd#media. It comes apart, is made from stainless and has a lifetime warranty.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    A lot of people use .308 suppressors for .223 with perfectly acceptable results. Your application should work even better.
    They acutally aren't much louder with the .30 can. Would be the way to go if you had both.

The chamber inserts work but accuracy is sub par. Additionaly you have to manually exract each spent casing, dowl rod. I'm going to reload .32 SWC for my Mosin in the 54r brass. Should feed from the mag as well as being accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by andremajic View Post
    Artful, have you tried the chamber inserts that sportsmans guide sells for your russian? It allows the use of 32 acp pistol ammo.

I've used it, and it's pretty quiet unsuppressed, like a "cat's sneeze load".

Andy.
    Nope, don't own a 32 acp but reload so no need too.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by blademasterii View Post
    This is my next planned purchase. http://www.swrsuppressors.com/produc...ane-9-hd#media. It comes apart, is made from stainless and has a lifetime warranty.
    I just wonder if that suppressor will handle sub and supersonics from the 300 blk using cast?

i've been searching on other forums, on info for the silencer I'm wanting and keep getting pointed to the Liberty Mystic suppressor

Quote Originally Posted by 41 mag fan View Post
    I just wonder if that suppressor will handle sub and supersonics from the 300 blk using cast?

i've been searching on other forums, on info for the silencer I'm wanting and keep getting pointed to the Liberty Mystic suppressor
    Subsonic is demo'd, you'd have to ask about supersonic - but my guess is no as most 9mm can's can't handle that much pressure repeatedly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w46Tnh_rGdg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byfitWx1kYE

Boolit Master
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison

Yep, notice the disclaimer at the beginning - for subsonic ONLY

Boolit Buddy
    Hmmm well the use of Sound Moderators is quite widespread here in the UK especially for varminting and Deer Stalking where their use is seen as good control against Noise Pollution and on health and Safety grounds protecting peoples hearing.

However these uses are with full power loads with cartridges from the .222 Rem up through .243, 270 Win, 7mm, .308, .30-06 etc.

Use with such cartridges puts far more wear and tear on a moderator. I have one of modular build of the Reflex (over the barrel type) that has been used on .243 Win, 6.5x55 and 25-06 rifles:-

It's a Wildcat Predator 8 of 300 length.

These are some of the modular bits.

Stripped down to modules.

Stainless blast shield and alloy baffle stack in this module.

Note the pitting showing at the very front of the blast shield. This is after some 500 rounds of ful power rifle loads. If I was to eave this assembled for 800 shots you would have one heck of a job getting it apart but then of course firing one round of 25-06 is equal to firing perhaps 10 rounds of 9mm Para.

Fitted to the Parker-Hale 1200C in 25-06:-

The gunclub nearest me is constructing a 100m outdoor range and due to the planning consent all guns used on it after a certain time of the afternoon will have to use a sound moderator to reduce noise pollution.

The draw backs of such use are increased barrel heating and mirage off the sound moderator when using full power rifle cartridges. carrying a rifle so fitted in the field is rather a pain as the extra weigh and length at the muzzle makes the rifle want to swing about and not stay on ones shoulder when stalking let alone upsetting the handling and balance of a fine hunting rifle. I own one because as I have to take my stalking by the day or outing and pay for such. Some places/estates insist on their use.

The moderator MUST also be removed as soon as possible after finishing shooting as as it cools the gases left in the expansion chamber and baffle stack tend to be drawn back into the bore of the barrel and these are hydroscopic in nature and attract moisture which then attacks the bore as those who have not removed mods have found out to their cost with rust pitted crowns and first few inches of the muzzle of the bore.

I notice that not many moderator manufacturers mention this risk but it's keeping quite a few gunsmiths in work replacing pitted barrels here in the UK.

Interesting. I've build a suppressor for a 243 which is a silencer, not a 'moderator'. It ads 60mm to the gun's length and is not very heavy at all. It removes all the muzzle blast and the bullet is not that noisy either. I'd be very reluctant to take a gun in the bush without a suppressor because of the danger of getting gunk in the muzzle. During my last outing I had the muzzle jab the ground several times during a slip. I used the gun but a few times to give me grip on going up! (It has a specially modified butt plate for that purpose).
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Buddy
    If you look into this a Moderator reduces the muzzle report by a certain amount. Silencers are another matter entirely. A blocked exit to a moderator will still cause damage as will not having it screwed on tight with a slightly lose thread. More than one has been wrecked with a bullet missing the exit and hitting the insides of the can instead.

Due to a mix up in the shop when we were pulling apart the mods for me to see how they are stripped for cleaning and how they are made. Instead of the .30 cal one I asked for I actually ended up with a .243 baffle stack and blast shield. Speaking to the manufacturer after discoverign this at home he said that using it for the 25-06 would be fine and it should be a bit quieter than when using it for the .243.

A noise meter may be able to tell the difference my ears cannot.

It was brought for use on the 25-06 hence the magnum rated one due to the gas volume produced by the 25-06 cartridge

Later I tried a 6.5mm bullet to see just how much clearance there was in the blast shield and baffle stack and I concluded there was enough so threaded the muzzle of my Swedish 6.5x55 and tried it and yep it's fine so i am actually using a .243 moderator on all three. A .270 bullet will not enter the blast shield and baffle stack.

The one I have is this:-

Wildcat 300
    Weight - 880g (31 ounces)
    Length - 306mm (12 inches)
    Diameter - 50mm (2 inches)
    Calibre - Magnums

These moderator only add 95mm to the overall length of the rifle when fitted. Rear of the moderator is supported on a derin bush, the tube is sealed on 0 rings for a perfect seal.

The Wildcat moderators are made entirely from Stainless Steel, (Bead Blasted Matt Stainless Steel and Powder Coated Black Stainless Steel)

Other threads and moderator lengths to special order, the exit hole at the muzzle of these Wildcat Moderators is adjustable to take a larger calibre if you change rifles

These Wildcat Moderators are built to last a lifetime and are strippable for cleaning

http://www.wildcatrifles.co.uk/fullbore.html

Heavy sucker as you can see by adjustable they mean you buy a new blast shield and baffle stack.. In the last year or so lighter ones from other makers have come onto the market here including Titanium ones but sheesh are they expensive. I thought the Wildcat was dear enough thank you.

Oh yes here in the UK a sound moderator is classed as a firearm unless it's an air rifle one one cannot buy one to put onto a cartridge rifle whether rim-fire or centre fire without an open slot on one Firearms Certificate. making ones own and using it if caught would mean loss of licence and possibly a stay in prison. If fact one would probably get less time for murder than making and using an unlicensed sound moderator.

Strange! Perhaps it's to do with criminal misuse of suppressors. Looking at the design of that 'moderator' I can see why it should be called a moderator. It won't remove all the muzzle blast but it will help a lot! I can't share my suppressor design details as I haven't patented it yet. Pity 'cause y'all might be interested.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Buddy
    No it's to do with the fear that governments have of the populace. They fear that the populace might wake up and realise just exactly whom the criminals are.

here in the UK the Governmant actively feeds the fear of the populace on crime. Without the people being afraid they would question all the surveilance cameras everywhere.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast