Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Repackbox
WidenersLee PrecisionPBcastcoLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 6.5 Creedmore - NOT

Boolit Master
    Rubbish. That long action will get you killed. Why, the extra 1/10th of a second throwing that super long bolt? The difference between life and death. Let alone the devastating 4 - 5 oz more a Swedemoor will weigh. Absolute recipe for heat exhaustion and death. Just because that rifle looks gorgeous doesn't mean it won't kill you with all that weight and length. Let alone the inferiority of the cartridge itself. I am told by experts who may have even fired both in rifles, that .303 Brit is, for example, far superior to the 6.5x55. So, listen to the experts on the Interweb and get rid of that thing as soon as possible.

Banned

that's because your an AMERICAN! base ball, apple pie, and 30 cal rifles. Unless your a competitor or a wanabe sniper the 6.5s don't do anything the 30 cals haven't done since ww1. 6.5s might do it with a bit less recoil but last time a checked I wear hanes underwear not Victoria secret. I find it a bit comical that the 308 has been the most used sniper round in the history of this country. Bring out the creedmore and now some will have you think your better off throwing rocks then using a 308. Nothing wrong with the 6.5s but there not magical like some would have you think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad5005 View Post
    30 cal for me,ive owned or do own about every caliber on the American chart and always fall back on the 308 and 300wm,im a hunter not a long range paper puncher and the 30 cal just works
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 08-21-2018 at 07:48 AM.

Boolit Master

And my .270 just don't get no respect even if I can put 130 grns through a baseball at 400 yds. Oh well, I'll hush now.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Let's just build a 6.5- .416 Rigby and have less silly holdover.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    And my .270 just don't get no respect even if I can put 130 grns through a baseball at 400 yds. Oh well, I'll hush now.
    AMEN BROTHER!!!

However, mine likes the 150 gr. and, unfortunately, I'm not a good enough shot to duplicate your feat. I keep my shots in the 300 or less range because of that.

I can hardly wait until the gun companies have saturated the market with this nonsense known as 6.5 Whatever and promote the next latest and greatest ??MM scam for the gullible to jump on. In all the years of being involved in the shooting sports, (65+), the one thing that has pretty much remained the same is that the vast majority CANNOT shoot well enough under field conditions to make a clean kill on a deer size animal beyond 300 or so yards, regardless of the cartridge and rifle used.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Banned
    i owned the 260rem and the 6.5cm and the 6.5cm was just a whisper more accurate. between the two they are a same thing. i'll put in a 6.5x55 and i'll say the same thing. the 6.5cm has been around 10 years now, while the 260 rem is around 20 years old(factory wise). the 6.5x55 is well over 100 years old. for 6.5mm shooting, i choose the 6.5cm. for hunting i'd choose the 6.5x55.

Boolit Master

6.5x55 is my second favorite...

While I love my Swedes... my favorite has always been the 7x57. From my first one, a $15 Spanish Mauser to these two, a 1904 Portuguese-Vergueiro Mauser rebarreled to 7x57 and a 1922 Brazilian custom Mauser.

Attachment 226082Attachment 226083
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Master

Roysha, I was never that good either, until I loaded a Ballistic tip over 48 grns of IMR 4064, sighted my old abolt at 200 yds with a new Nikon BDC recticle scope, the crosshairs being the 200 yd mark. 1st circle down dead on at 300 and 2nd circle 400. At 9x the orange dot on the target was just right for the circle on the reticle. The holdever from 200 yds worked out to 13 1/2" just made easy by the circles. Or in the field when hard to see circles in low light means crosshairs on back of deer. A decent rest helps too, but the 130 gr ballistic tip bullet made my gun and this old shotgun shooter shoot above my class.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    Hmmmm I'm died in the wool 6mm , 6.5mm and 7mm . And with that being said I've tried or owned pretty much all that fit in those categories . And yes I've owned just about all of the 30 cals .

My 6.5 battery at the moment has three Grendels , a 260 , three 6.5x55's , 6.5-06 and a 26 Nosler . I've shot a bunch of 6.5 CM's and while they all shot very well they didn't show me anything over the 260's I've owned or shot .

As to the 30 cal thing I've killed deer with them all , but any person that's killed many deer is well aware deer are not difficult to kill if you hit them correctly . I actually liked the 300 SAUM , 300 WSM and 300 H&H . I still own a 308 and a 30-30 . Most likely will get a 30-06 soon but only as a donor rifle to build a 6mm-06 . The 300 WIN Mag , weatherby mag and ultra mag were all okay they just never really enamored themselves to me although the win and weathery were both in Ruger #1's which didn't hurt .

Most of the 6.5 CM's I've shot have been factory Savage Long Range Precision rifles with the factory target accutrigger and they all shot wonderfully . But on the other hand I'm quite SURE if I bought the same gun in a 260 I could make it shoot just as well .

A couple of my friends that have 6.5 CM's have bought or shown considerable intrest in the 6mm CM , which in turn has caused me to get interested in the 6mm-06 mainly because I wanna play with the Berger 105 and 115 VLD's for the 6mm . We shall see if I make the jump and try a 6-06 !

Oh and for the underinformed FWIW its Creedmoor not Creedmore .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master

I'd almost bet if you get a GOOD 6/06 the rest of your rifles for small to medium game will be collecting dust! I shot one a whole summer in a Groundhog ( Woodchuck for you Yankees) competition with NO points for anything less than 500 yards and used the same rifle that fall to collect an Antelope at 668 yards measured with a range finder. The only drawbacks to them are they are real hard to get shooting right and at about 900 rounds the barrel is done!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Houndog View Post
    I'd almost bet if you get a GOOD 6/06 the rest of your rifles for small to medium game will be collecting dust! I shot one a whole summer in a Groundhog ( Woodchuck for you Yankees) competition with NO points for anything less than 500 yards and used the same rifle that fall to collect an Antelope at 668 yards measured with a range finder. The only drawbacks to them are they are real hard to get shooting right and at about 900 rounds the barrel is done!
    I’ve been contemplating the 6mm-06 on and off for about 6 months now . Mostly because I wanna shoot the Berger 115 and 105 VLD Match Hunting bullets .

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    260 Remington and a 6.5 Swede, 260 in a 13 pound benchrest rifle, Model 96 Swede in a factory Weatherby stock, 29" full military barrel, shoots wonderful. cant fault any 6.5 caliber. Just my two.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Varberger Model 711 Bolt 6.5x284 Norma Sweden on gunbroker.
    Sweden seems to have moved up from 6.5x55.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

Don’t ever trust a man who doesn’t like John Wayne

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    The 6.5X55 is the only chambering P.O. Ackley never wildcatted. He stated that the cartridge was perfect as is, and has no improvements that could be made.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    When I was at Cabelas, I noticed they had a whole rack of 6.5x55 Swede military rifles out for sale. Of course they must have been quite proud of them since the prices were up there too.Higher than many of the modern 6.5mm rifles they sell today too. I did notice couple of older ladies, one of whom, bought a Mosin-Nagant rifle, I assume for her husband.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    The 6.5X55 is the only chambering P.O. Ackley never wildcatted. He stated that the cartridge was perfect as is, and has no improvements that could be made.
    I've got several 6.5x55 rifles a nice CZ550 FS and a couple military guns . Like them all !

I have a Ruger #1B that has a slightly heavier Lilja barrel chambered in 22-250AI gun shoots great , however I'm no fan of AI guns . To me doing an AI is just an extra step of being a pain in the butt .

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Oily View Post
    6.5 Creedmore is supposed to be built specifically for accuracy at long distances. Yet my 260 remington will outperform the creedmore in all categories. So will the 6.5x55 Swede. All hype about a new cartridge that will fit the AR platform.
    Yes sir I concur

Boolit Master
    Anybody who has shot at longer range knows there is an advantage to a fast stepping 6.5 over the 308.

Banned

don't you know theres a big difference between a 6.5 bullet and a 6.8!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post

I bought a 6.5 Creedmoor this summer and like the rifle cartridge combination. The Creedmoor has certain advantages over the 260 and the Swede for some of us. None ballisticaly, but ammunition is relatively inexpensive for the Creedmoor as compared to the Swede and the 260. Also a wider variety of types are available. Rifles in Creedmoor are more available. I bought a Savage Axis for under 300 just to see if I liked the cartridge and I think I will. I will in all probability take a deer with the rifle this November. I prefer rifles that don't have a lot of blast and recoil for deer hunting and don't shoot long range. The 25 calibers, other than the 25-06 are not readily available. People sing the praise of the 257 Roberts but I would have to get one custom made and the Creedmoor is basically the same thing.

I do not have to shoot at long ranges to get deer or any varmints. I tried the 243 but kind of have reservations about it. I have shot a deer with an old Swedish carbine and would have bought a 6.5X55 in an American rifle like the 700 Remington I had in 270 in a second, but none were available. The sheer availability of the 6.5 Creedmoor is its main attraction, not the hype about its long range effectiveness. Finn Aagard called 6.5X55 the best deer rifle he had seen. The Creedmoor is essentially the same thing and available.

DEP

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast