Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan Reloading
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7 Shot GP100s and Security 9

Boolit Master

7 Shot GP100s and Security 9

I see on the Ruger website they now have two barrel lengths of 357 GP100s with 7 shot capacity. They also have a low priced 9 mm called the Security 9. It sounds like it’s a Glock 19 sized gun with blued slide and a low price.

I’m not interested in the 9mm, but a short barreled 7 shot GP100 has my interest. Definitely don’t need it as I haven’t worn out any of my 6 shot 357s. I do enjoy that 7th round in my 327 GP100 though....
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Mold
    I like the feel of the 2.5 in also. Just wonder if that is too short of a barrel for .357 mag. I've always heard you need at least a 3 in barrel to take advantage of the round.

Boolit Master

hggg!
    Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 04-28-2020 at 07:52 AM.
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Boolit Master
    Edkn welcome aboard.
    Yes short 357s are a good thing. My 2.25” SP101 can get 150-160 boolits into the 1300 fps. That’s real magnum velocity. Of course in my 4” GP100 I can push 150-160 gr into the 1500s. Question comes though is that extra 200 fps worth carrying the extra 2”of barrel? My answer is sometimes... If I’m shooting a couple of hundred rounds for fun and games, the extra barrel with its weight and sight radius is welcome. For carrying concealed, I prefer the short barrel.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Turns out the Security 9 is an LCP II that has grown into a 9mm. Whether that is a good thing or not is up to you. I don't like the LCP II and think the S&W SD9 for the same price is a way better deal so I'll pass.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Meh. If I haven't solved the puzzle with six, seven is unlikely to help.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by shooting on a shoestring View Post
    Edkn welcome aboard.
    Yes short 357s are a good thing. My 2.25” SP101 can get 150-160 boolits into the 1300 fps. That’s real magnum velocity. Of course in my 4” GP100 I can push 150-160 gr into the 1500s. Question comes though is that extra 200 fps worth carrying the extra 2”of barrel? My answer is sometimes... If I’m shooting a couple of hundred rounds for fun and games, the extra barrel with its weight and sight radius is welcome. For carrying concealed, I prefer the short barrel.
    Thanks for the info. I was deciding between the GP and SP and wasn't even considering the 2.25 SP. Doesn't seem to be any reason to go with the longer barrels as I pocket carry. I was thinking of the 3 in but it would have been a tight fit in the pocket that's why I was thinking the GP route and making it a range and house gun. This way, the 2.25 can go into my carry rotation.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Turns out the Security 9 is an LCP II that has grown into a 9mm. Whether that is a good thing or not is up to you. I don't like the LCP II and think the S&W SD9 for the same price is a way better deal so I'll pass.
    SD9 is a great gun. I have over 2500 flawless rounds through mine.

Boolit Master
    Don't forget the new barrel lengths for the 8 shot .357 Redhawk. And today they announced a 9mm pistol caliber carbine.

Boolit Master
    I got to handle a 7 shot GP100 with the 4.2” barrel. Looked really good. Rifling looked good, forcing cone good, barrel/cylinder gap fine, had the fiber optic sight, looked good, crane to frame fit looked better than most recent GPS I’ve seen. Sure wished I needed one. Price was $699 near Austin, TX. I’ve already got a couple of good 4” 357s, so I walked away. Had it been the short barrel, I’d probably be poorer now.

The S&W SD series pistols are a screaming bargain. Made in the USA 9mm or .40 pistol in stainless with two mags and it's an S&W for $300.00 or less.

Ruger has also recently made some uncatalogued .327 GP's with adjustable sights and half lug barrels. They bring one of those out in .38/.357 and I'm on it.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Hey Ferguson, that 7 shot 357 has a half lug, but it also has half a barrel too (2.5”).

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    It's hard to beat the SD9VE! I don't know why it's not more popular.

But I do want to see the new Security 9. I like the LCPII, with Hogue Beaver Tail Grip.

Lefty

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty Red View Post
    It's hard to beat the SD9VE! I don't know why it's not more popular.

But I do want to see the new Security 9. I like the LCPII, with Hogue Beaver Tail Grip.

Lefty

I agree, it is basically a Glock without the Glock price, plus a more realistic trigger for most people. I own two Glocks, used to own three, only guns I have considered getting rid of lately. If the Security 9 has a better grip angle, and proves to be accurate, it is another thorn under Gaston's rear end.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Walkingwolf View Post
    I agree, it is basically a Glock without the Glock price, plus a more realistic trigger for most people. I own two Glocks, used to own three, only guns I have considered getting rid of lately. If the Security 9 has a better grip angle, and proves to be accurate, it is another thorn under Gaston's rear end.
    I'm with you Walkingwolf! I want to buy and shoot American!

Lefty

I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Buddy
    I need to stop paying attention.....

Ruger having a new version of their pistol caliber carbine out......my wallet is screaming for relief as is my desire!

I have been wanting a 9mm AR, but that looks to be more of an itch scratcher to me than another AR style carbine.
    Liberalism isn't just a disease anymore, it is a mental disorder.

Sirach 2: 4-9

Any questions.......http://http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?293211-Bubba-w-a-45-70-is-a-bonafied-straight-shooter
    Or here....http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t-shooter-too!

Boolit Master
    Well that sure got my hopes up. Was thinking they were remaking the Security Six in 9mm! Todd/3leg

My local fun store has the 9mm carbines on order, his price is $479.00. I'm putting one in layaway jail as soon as they arrive, which will probably be a few weeks. I looked at the Security 9 today. For under $300.00 it's probably a decent gun but I still think the SD9/SD40 for $10.00 more is a much better deal. Heck, for $90.00 more you can get a Ruger American or SR series.

Boolit Master
    Ok I saw one of the 2.5” 7 shoot GP100s at Collector’s Firearms in Houston (awesome store, check out their online inventory, the store is even better).

I didn’t handle it though. I didn’t like the overall look. The grip seemed to big for the barrel. The proportions just didn’t sing to me. The 4.2” does appeal to my eye which could explain why I have 3 other 4” GP100s (one is a 7 shot 327 Fed).

Maybe if I concentrate my 357 shooting to just one of my GP100s I could wear it out and justify getting a new 7 shooter version. Wonder how many rounds it takes to get to the end of a GP100?

Banned

imo, short barrels are for ccw. whilst i can feel comfy with a 5 shot ccw revolver (as i do with an s&w 60 2.13") 6 in the cylinder is too much for me, let alone 7. if it comes down to ccw firepower, that's a discussion of another sorts. personally subjective stuff, of course.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast