Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Repackbox

Thread: Refinish aluminum alloy receivers

Boolit Mold

Refinish aluminum alloy receivers

Hy guys I have a couple aluminum receivers I want to have refinished as close to factory as possible. I'm familiar with all of the aerosol and paint on finishes, but I want something more like the original anodized finish. One of the guns is an old Wincester 1200 I got pretty cheap. Is there any way to achieve the factory type deep blue anodize finish, or am I just SOL?

Banned

Unless you are set up for true anodize, I don't think you can do it. They sell stuff but none works. I have used Brownell's spray on trigger guards and it came out nice. Don't know about a full receiver.
    You might have to send it out.

Just turned up this in Google so I know nothing about them but US Anodizing can do firearms.

http://www.usanodizing.com/faq.htm
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Quote Originally Posted by AHicks1988 View Post

I have a couple aluminum receivers I want to have refinished as close to factory as possible.

Is there any way to achieve the factory type deep blue anodize finish, or am I just SOL ?

Shooting Times printed an article on how to do just that: http://www.shootingtimes.com/gunsmit...smithing_0706/

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

That talks about spraying on a finish. Not at all like the anodized finish. But I agree it may be easier to use a spray on.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

To anodize something again, you have to remove the old finish which includes how ever deep the original anodizing went which can effect tolerances. That is why spray on coatings are popular.

Boolit Mold
    Looks like it's gonna be a little bit harder than I thought. Well that sucks. I may look into US Anodizing a little bit more. Just don't want to spend more on anodizing than I paid for the gun. Thanks guys!

Boolit Grand Master
    Do a search, a few years ago I remember someone anodizing aluminum molds at home. The pictures looked alright.

Robert

Boolit Bub
    I've got a Marlin model 56 that I've just about got the receiver ready to apply the Durablue (Duracoat product). The couple I've seen done looked pretty original. Been practicing on some scrap stuff with my new to me air brush. Will let you know how it turns out when finished.
    Temper is a quality that at a critical moment brings out the best in steel and the worst in people.