WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
Lee Precision

Thread: Model 1841 Mississippi rifle

Boolit Master

Model 1841 Mississippi rifle

I just obtained an as new replica of the 1841 Mississippi rifle. It was made by Bernadelli in 1978 for Replica Arms which was subsequently bought by Navy Arms. The letter that came with it says to use a 0.562 caliber ball. I have some 0.562 balls from Hornady and a mold from Lee coming. Should be here tomorrow. I thought the 1841 was 54 caliber but evidently this replica is a 58. Any suggestions on powder charge and any other loading info would be appreciated. I shoot a 50cal Hawken and a TC Encore 50x209 now so it shouldn't be too different.

Bob
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu

The orginals were .54, but up until recently, the replicas were .58. I think the new Pedersoli's are .54. When they started making the 1841 repo's, .54 wasn't nearly as popular as it is now.

Boolit Buddy
    Many original .54's were sent back for arsenal modification to the new (then) standard .58 cal so there would be less logistical issues with more types of ammo required on the field.

Boolit Master
    they were orginaly .54 cal and used round ball. later they alot were reworked to use .58 minie balls. so yes it could go either way.

i have a old 41 that i had bob hoyt reline to .54 it shoots round ball real nice.

now i also have a 1803 model that was also orginaly a .54 . but it was rifled with the 3 grove .58 it shoots .562 round ball with .018 patch well.

Boolit Grand Master

What, no pictures?
    Aim small, miss small!

I would expect that any load mentioned for the Zouave would perform similarly in the Mississippi rifle.
    Hellgate in Orygun
    With 16+revolvers, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap&ball.
    If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Boolit Master
    As others have said, the frist replicas were cut in 58 caliber. It was common to the other muskets they were making. Originals were 54 and reworked to 58 for use in the Civil War. Some were later recut to a larger smoothbore for use as a shotgun.

I used a replica 1841 as the base for a 50-70 Trapdoor.
    Last edited by StrawHat; 12-05-2011 at 09:17 AM.
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master

Mooman asked for pictures. I've never done it before but cbrick posted a way to do it by browsing your own computer instead of going somewhere like photobucket. Never had much luck with photobucket. Only got one pic to post out of many tries. Well here goes: Pics of the 1841 Mississippi rifle.
    Loks like it worked, thanks cbrick.

Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1841 Mississippi rifle 001.jpg   1841 Mississippi rifle 005.jpg   1841 Mississippi rifle 002.jpg   1841 Mississippi rifle 003.jpg  
    Last edited by midnight; 11-01-2011 at 03:34 PM.

Boolit Master
    Those 1841s are honeys. There is an apocryphal tale about Confederate units forming at the start of the War of Northern Aggression that were promised Mississippi Rifles and who threatened to disband themselves when lesser guns were foisted on them. Another account I read related how some guys armed with '41s cast their own bullets for them using a sewing thimble for a mold.

I bought an M1841 seven or so years ago marked "Euroarms". I ordered mine in the original .54 which was special order and required a wait. It was worth the wait. Mine has, I believe, a 1-66" twist and shoots 50yd groups of 1" with prb! It also shoots conicals with mod accuracy. These are handsome, accurate and tough rifles that are a joy to shot and hunt with.
    Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Boolit Master
    IMO the most elegant of the Antebellum martial arms.

Boolit Master
    midnight,

Nice looking rifle, let us know how it shoots.

Boolit Master
    I just found a Euroarms .54 version myself. Can't wait for the weather to thaw a bit ..

Boolit Grand Master

Good lookin gun. Thanks for the pictures.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master

Looks like I can shoot it soon. I got some 0.570 RB and a Lee mold to cast RBs. D Crockett sent me some RBs that are 0.576 and some 472gr conicals with a RNFP and a deep hollow base with a fairly thin skirt that measure 0.577. Now all I have to do is get off my butt and get out there. Its been cold and wet lately and I'd rather just read a good book. Reading "Origins of the American Revolution" now. I'll post results when I get them. I mean results of the shooting, not the revolution.

Bob
    Last edited by midnight; 12-06-2011 at 12:10 AM.

Couldn't help myself. They are extremely good looking rifles and accurate as all get-out.
    Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Boolit Master
    Here's mine

I just restained it and will oil it sometime during the winter.

Straw Hat,
    Yours looks like a trapdoor conversion. Is it custom? What caliber?
    Hellgate in Orygun
    With 16+revolvers, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap&ball.
    If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellgate View Post
    Straw Hat,
    Yours looks like a trapdoor conversion. Is it custom? What caliber?
    Yes, it is a conversion. As for custom, well it is one of a kind so ... maybe. I did the work myself and wrote about it in this thread.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=28334

It is 50 caliber and fires the 50-70 cartridge.