Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackboxWideners
Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weird things happened with my 454 Casull today

Boolit Man

Weird things happened with my 454 Casull today

I've been casting and coating the Lee 340gr .457 boolit, then lubing it and sizing it down to .452 to shoot from my Taurus Raging Judge Magnum 454 Casull. It works fine, but it's a lot of work. I recently bought a Lee 255 .452 SWC mold, cast em, coated em, lubed em, and sized em to .452. Slightly less work, but still a bit. Problem I got is this:

As you can see, those three boolits went through very sideways at 25 feet. Some made perfect circles, but about half did this.
    Here's the odd part, there's no appreciable leading in the bore. Some light streaks, but I expected that these were not engaging the rifling and I'd be scrubbing lead for hours. There's also some sparkly debris in there, which I must assume is the HiTek coating. A couple passes with a brush and the bore was looking pretty good.
    What I'd like to do now is size the next batch to .454 and try them out, however my Redding die set will not allow this. It's supposed to load 454 and 45C, but even at .452 I'm having a bit of a struggle to get the case and boolit into the sizing die. I've tried at .454, and boolits were getting destroyed.
    I'm stumped, any ideas?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ThaDoubleJ View Post
    I've been casting and coating the Lee 340gr .457 boolit, then lubing it and sizing it down to .452 to shoot from my Taurus Raging Judge Magnum 454 Casull. It works fine, but it's a lot of work. I recently bought a Lee 255 .452 SWC mold, cast em, coated em, lubed em, and sized em to .452. Slightly less work, but still a bit. Problem I got is this:

As you can see, those three boolits went through very sideways at 25 feet. Some made perfect circles, but about half did this.
    Here's the odd part, there's no appreciable leading in the bore. Some light streaks, but I expected that these were not engaging the rifling and I'd be scrubbing lead for hours. There's also some sparkly debris in there, which I must assume is the HiTek coating. A couple passes with a brush and the bore was looking pretty good.
    What I'd like to do now is size the next batch to .454 and try them out, however my Redding die set will not allow this. It's supposed to load 454 and 45C, but even at .452 I'm having a bit of a struggle to get the case and boolit into the sizing die. I've tried at .454, and boolits were getting destroyed.
    I'm stumped, any ideas?
    Redding's are tight. I had a set of 45C dies and sent them back to the factory to open up the seating die. Most dies are geared to jacketed bullet loading, but Redding's are very tight. Otherwise very good dies.

Boolit Master

I'm stumped, any ideas?
    Load a dummy and pull the bullet. Check the diameter after being loaded. Maybe the crimp is too tight and sizing down your bullet. Too soft of an alloy getting squished down under neck tensions? If the dies are made for jacketed then they probably have a lot of neck tension going on. Maybe use a Lyman M die for a proper neck tension for cast.

Vendor Sponsor

It won't matter what you size to since boolits are exiting the front of the cylinder at throat diameter. Find out what the throats are, that's the size that the cylinder is delivering the boolits to the bore.

Will a .452" boolit go into the cylinder throats from the front with finger pressure?
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master

What velocity is the 255 bullet?
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

I see this with my 45 carbine when I push a soft alloy too hard. No leading, but 200 grain swc will tumble. Soft enough to tilt on the rifling? Boolits with longer bearing surface work fine with the soft alloy.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Master
    Looks to me that the boolit is too small as it is traveling down the barrel. If you have slugged your bore and know .452" is proper diameter for the barrel then I suspect the boolit is being swaged down either in the reloading process (pull a loaded round and measure base of boolit) or possibly by too tight of cylinder throats.

Boolit Man
    Chronograph was showing about 2K. Alloy is wheel weights with a splash of tin, dropped in water. I'll measure throats and pulled boolits and such and get back to you all, thanks.

Boolit Master
    Per the OP, and last post:
    Are you getting a 340gr bullet to chronograph @ 2,000fps out of a revolver pistol ???
    Please advise.

Boolit Man
    The 255s are doing about 2K, the 340s I've only run up to about 1300.

Boolit Buddy
    You're gettin' nigh 200 with a 255?! Wow, that's sizzling. With what powder?

Boolit Grand Master

Way to fast for that PB cast bullet. Slow them down to 1200 +/- fps and they shoul do well. If you want faster than like 2000 fps then a GC'd bullet is best to use.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Man
    Using AA9, don't think I'm burning it all, either. I was a bit surprised at that speed as well, maybe I do just need to go to a heavier boolit and slow them down. Think a 300 PB would do?

Boolit Man
    After mulling it over a bit, maybe using the 340s for both my 458 SOCOM and the 454 Casull isn't that bad of an idea. It's been working so far, although the accuracy in my 458 is ****, like 8 MOA. I lose the lube groove when I size them down to .452, but they're coated anyway, so it's just holding the Alox that I use during the sizing process. I wouldn't mind a 350gr truncated cone, but I'm not sure who makes a mold like that.
    Last edited by ThaDoubleJ; 11-15-2017 at 08:30 AM.

I had a similar problem with a 45 Colt Rifle. NOE 454-255-RF(GC) and 454-255-SWC fixed that. Try a Keith style SWC and you’ll be making round holes in no time.
    rr2241tx
    Timin' has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.

Boolit Grand Master

Did I read the OP right? Cast, coat, lube, size? I have sized after coating but never any lube of any kind on my PCed/coated bullets. Why lubing coated bullets?
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Lube? I assume he means lubing the PC'd casts to push them through the Lee sizer? And...sizing down from .457" before they were PC'd?

If the sizer is a Lee push through and you are loosing the lube grooves too...is all that Pb & PC being pushed down below the base of the cast and forming an uneven ragged skirt?
    If so...are you loading & shooting them that way?

That material is going somewhere...are the bases square and flat or not?
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Way to fast for that PB cast bullet. Slow them down to 1200 +/- fps and they shoul do well. If you want faster than like 2000 fps then a GC'd bullet is best to use.
    Yes, this. Larry da man.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rr2241tx View Post
    I had a similar problem with a 45 Colt Rifle. NOE 454-255-RF(GC) and 454-255-SWC fixed that. Try a Keith style SWC and you’ll be making round holes in no time.

That's the first thing I went out and bought was that 255 gr Keith boolit mould, after I got my mdl. 83. I've been happy ever since.

Boolit Man
    I still lube my coated boolits. I don't trust my ability to coat yet, I keep having problems with HiTek. They also say not to size prior to coating, so yes, I cast/coat/alox/size .457-.454-.452.
    My bases still seem flat after sizing, but I've never really looked that closely.
    The Lee 452-252 is a Keith style boolit. I've tried the 340s at .454, but the Redding seating die wants nothing to do with that, I may talk to Redding about it, see what they think.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast