Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
RepackboxLoad DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 100 yard accuracy

Boolit Master
    Was digging thru some old boxes yesterday and came across this article from an old Guns. Actual extensive tests of sporting rifles vs match rifles of the time.Winchester 52C and Rem 40x is included, both still benchmarks. Ammo is 2 target loads then Winchester Expert, that is a field load, think Blaser in a 50 pac. 100 yards, 10 shots,ctc. Statistically expect the 10 shot groups to be 1.24 times the size of 5 shot groups.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A604B3AD-D25E-4AC6-B037-4C8DD38387B8.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	255106Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2B742078-1652-4EC7-BC7E-2EC115D4E8DB.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	255107
    Last edited by rking22; 01-20-2020 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Table only shows 2 match loads
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    I sure wish I'd have picked up one of those Ultra Lux CZs when they were around.

I do like an accurate .22 and I have a few but at the end of the day my favorite shooting is usually sitting on my porch shooting off my knees or just offhand at a can hanging in my trap at 50 yds. Prefer irons for the purpose (why I'd love one of those long barreled CZs). Just good entertainment value, shoot a few air guns at the same..

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post
    Was digging thru some old boxes yesterday and came across this article from an old Guns. Actual extensive tests of sporting rifles vs match rifles of the time.Winchester 52C and Rem 40x is included, both still benchmarks. Ammo is 2 target loads then Winchester Expert, that is a field load, think Blaser in a 50 pac. 100 yards, 10 shots,ctc. Statistically expect the 10 shot groups to be 1.24 times the size of 5 shot groups.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A604B3AD-D25E-4AC6-B037-4C8DD38387B8.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	255106Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2B742078-1652-4EC7-BC7E-2EC115D4E8DB.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	255107
    This gives me a case of the happy giggles. It's pretty clear the author of that old article rounded up a bunch of cheapie .22's, had them tapped to mount Unertl scope blocks, and moved his 12x Lyman from gun to gun for his testing.

He's got what undoubtedly were a lot of our "First Guns" turning out 2-3 MOAish groups, including a couple of the single shot "boys rifles" that require the cocking piece be manually pulled to the rear after a round is chambered, notably the Marlin 100 that was commonly relabeled as a department store house brand. Almost all of it capable of reliably busting a 4" clay pigeon across a football field.

Kinda reaffirms my thinking that building a $2,000 10/22 is a wee bit nuts (fun, but nuts)
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    This gives me a case of the happy giggles. It's pretty clear the author of that old article rounded up a bunch of cheapie .22's, had them tapped to mount Unertl scope blocks, and moved his 12x Lyman from gun to gun for his testing.

He's got what undoubtedly were a lot of our "First Guns" turning out 2-3 MOAish groups, including a couple of the single shot "boys rifles" that require the cocking piece be manually pulled to the rear after a round is chambered, notably the Marlin 100 that was commonly relabeled as a department store house brand. Almost all of it capable of reliably busting a 4" clay pigeon across a football field.

Kinda reaffirms my thinking that building a $2,000 10/22 is a wee bit nuts (fun, but nuts)
    Yeah, for $1500 you can turn a 2 moa shooting 10/22 into a 1.5 moa shooting 10/22.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by arlon View Post
    I sure wish I'd have picked up one of those Ultra Lux CZs when they were around.

I do like an accurate .22 and I have a few but at the end of the day my favorite shooting is usually sitting on my porch shooting off my knees or just offhand at a can hanging in my trap at 50 yds. Prefer irons for the purpose (why I'd love one of those long barreled CZs). Just good entertainment value, shoot a few air guns at the same..

I looked on their website the other day I think they still make them but they call it a Jaguar now.

I decided the winter before last that I wanted to have a 22 rimfire rifle that was accurate as heck and had not owned A 22lr rifle probably since the 90’s. The discontinued ultra lux 452 was one of the ones I had in my mind along with the American and varmint model. I ran into the utralux 22lr used that looked like brand new at the local gun store for $325 so I snagged it up. The were a couple of Hmong’s holding it and eyeing it up when I walked in the store. As soon as they put it down my hand grabbed it before their hands were even back to their sides. I walked right up to the counter and said I take it! I have no idea what they’re saying to me but I bet you it wasn’t good.lol... But the rifle was mine!!!...you snooze you lose. My buddy that was with me died laughing. He still tells that story like it happened yesterday and cant hold a straight face while doing so. It’s a fun little rifle I can tell you that. My other buddies give me grief because of the long barrel until they shoot it. I can hit golf balls all day long in that mess at 100 yards with, it is fun,fun, fun! I originally thought it was neat and would make a good novelty rifle sunset had a sliding rear sight that goes to 300 yards. After Lasic surgery my eyes can’t focus good enough at close distance to get a nice clean site picture so I need an optic on it. The barrel is so far away from your from your ears it’s not much louder than my BB gun The right ammo. And you don’t need hearing protection either. It’s almost like it’s suppressed.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 01-22-2020 at 11:50 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Here is a target I shot during our local monthly 22LR BR match at 100 yards. I used my stock (made in '53)) Remington M37. We shoot on the 200 yard I.B.S. target. Four strings of 10 shots on each target. We use the small ring as the X and it is .9" in diameter. The next ring, the 10 ring is 2.025" in dimeter. I shot a 400 possible with 32 Xs and took 2nd..... The largest group is 1.5" and the smallest is .85"

Attachment 255257
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post

That Remington 513s (1st rifle on the list/top of page) isn't a cheap rifle by any means. Only 13,000 & change were made, cost $$$.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123