Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataWideners
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: Just curious

Boolit Master

Just curious

Several years ago I acquired a large collection of reloading gear and in the pile of stuff was a very old can of Bag Balm. I have no idea if the man who owned the gear ever used it in making some form of bullet lube. This can's list of ingredients included .005 percent mercury. I have a newer can and it has a much different set of ingredients, one of which is lanolin and of course mercury has been eliminated. I was just wondering, has anyone ever used Bag Balm in a bullet lube?
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master
    Your site search will reveal, yes. But it makes a better case sizing lube.

Banned

the wife just brought me a can of the older stuff and asked about it since it said veterinary on the label.
    I had to tell her the original use was you put it on the cow's udders after taking it off the milking machine.
    the look on her face was priceless because I'm pretty sure that was where she had been putting it.

Boolit Master

My wife would not be without that stuff. We live in Las Vegas and the normal humidity levels are in the low teens down to 2%. When we first moved out here everything on our bodies dried up and became scaly and rough. Knees and elbows were the worst. Other parts of the anatomy suffered badly and my wife who is very amply endowed suffered the worst. It got so bad that she could not bear to wear anything on her upper torso. None of those so called skin moisturizers cut the mustard.

Hey I did not mind her walking around topless around the house at all. It was amazing to see the natural movements and jiggling going on all day. I was almost cross-eyed but I stuck it out. Then a pal at work told me about Bag Balm. I stopped at a local Feed and Grain supply location and found some.

Voila....my wife is happy and we have been both using it since '93. I do miss the waltzing around topless but now at least I can play with them without hurting her. She loves the stuff.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Master

Bag balm is just as stated for, Udders. Works on our skin also very good stuff..It is made of Hydrogenated Lanolin and maybe a couple other oils.
    .I'm sure it would work as a Muzzle load lube just fine...

For "giving your lube more stick" I would cook it down a bit to get the moisture out of it.
    Add a wee bit of beeswax to it and it will protect better and heal skin aliments. For healing properties, you need beeswax that has a bit of honey smell left in it.

Teat salve..My Dad would rob them down before milking and got more than anyone else, his hands were in the best shape also. I keep some on my desk all year round..

Banned

by original use I meant that particular jar's original use had been for the cow's.

we had a small herd of 8 cows and 4 steers for a number of years and I would just run them with the neighbors milk cows.
    he sent over a couple of gallons of straight milk a week and kept the rest and I let him run his herd out in our pasture for part of the year.
    I didn't have to milk the stupid things, or cut the pasture grass... I still think I come out ahead on the deal.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    by original use I meant that particular jar's original use had been for the cow's.

we had a small herd of 8 cows and 4 steers for a number of years and I would just run them with the neighbors milk cows.
    he sent over a couple of gallons of straight milk a week and kept the rest and I let him run his herd out in our pasture for part of the year.
    I didn't have to milk the stupid things, or cut the pasture grass... I still think I come out ahead on the deal.
    Straight milk, that yall way of saying raw milk?

Banned

yeah,, we always called it straight milk cause it was straight from the cow.

Boolit Master

Oh yea, I've drank Straight milk or Raw when I was at my Uncles farm helping. Leave it sit on the counter and the Cream would separate and float to the top. My Aunt would skim it and we used it on our cereal.

He milked the old way, by hand for years, then upgraded with an air line and milk cans. The cans would be placed in the milk house when filled and cooled by cold well water, then the water went to the cows (they prefer warmer water).

Back then they used a bag balm, I think he or his wife made it from Lanolin

We called it fresh squeezed

Boolit Grand Master
    The milking barn had plenty of bag balm.

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin