Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackbox
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: tire question

Banned

Another problem some tire places seem to not follow is the red and yellow dot placement on the tires. Since I started lining up the red dot with the valve stem the balance stays true WAY longer.

Boolit Master
    I just picked up the car. They said that the foam came apart inside the wheel. Still scratching my head at that one. Anyhoo, it drives really well.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    I just picked up the car. They said that the foam came apart inside the wheel. Still scratching my head at that one. Anyhoo, it drives really well.

Run flat tires. The cold may have affected them. Not a problem we encounter in Florida but tire balancing has come a long way from the old bubble balancers.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    There’s no foam inside or on your wheels or tires. Who ever you talk to has no clue what they’re talking about. Must’ve been a A new hire service writer that needs some schooling.

We used to solid foam filled tires for forklifts so they never get a flat tire. Did wear couple hundred pounds more when done and where as hard as a rock. You ever pick up a 12 inch forklift tire after it’s been foam filled you better use both hands. It feels equivalent in weight to lead Per square inch. Cars don’t have foam filled tires or foam in their tires or wheels for that matter. Runflat tires just have a stiffer side wall and tread face. I’ve unfortunately installed hundreds of them and they’re a pain in the rear end to get it on the rim since they are so stiff.

Battis mentioned to me earlier today on a private message that he was told both the front tires were peeling apart on the inside. I’m guessing that that service writer meant that both inside treads were worn because the alignment is so far out of whack it’s eating the insides of the tires. I suggested to have his car’s alignment checked ASAP or his new tires are going to get all chewed up very quickly and he’s going to be in the same boat again.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 12-10-2019 at 08:25 PM.

Boolit Master

Uh, some run flats do indeed have a foam liner in them. I just replaced a tire and on a 2016 Regal that the lady had hit a curb. There were indeed chunks of foam in the tire. I work at a GM dealership and have been turning wrenches for over thirty years, you can believe me or not but I don't think you got taken.

Boolit Master

Are the tires the stock Continental’s? They are foam filled puncture resistant tires
    Last edited by clum553946; 12-10-2019 at 08:48 PM.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    You boys are right! I’ll be darned. I always sad I learned something new every day in the tire game. It’s referred to as a noise canceling system. It doesn’t have anything to do with sealing in the tires. Back in the late 80s and early 90s Uniroyal made a self sealing tire. It was like sticky gum on the inside. I have watched run flats manufactured right in the Bridgestone plant and i’ve also watched firestone AG tires being put together in the old Iowa plant...that’s a hoot! You should see the union workers that were in that plant, they’re some very big, scary looking dudes...And that’s something for me to say because at the time I could barrel stack 800 pound farm tires at head level. I’ve been out of industry for about two years now so I’m a little rusty on the updated modern technology.

What a goofy idea...

https://www.pirelli.com/tires/en-us/...ncs-technology

But I can still tell you IMO a light piece of foam that came loose isn’t going to cause your tires to come out of balance and shake at certain speeds. I watched a video with that Tesla that had some in to. You normally don’t feel a shake unless you’re a half ounce or more off and I highly doubt a piece of that foam weighs a half ounce.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 12-10-2019 at 09:33 PM.

Boolit Master
    prince of darkness

Boolit Master
    I swear someone out there has a voodoo doll of me and they keep sticking it with pins.
    The dealer put two brand new tires on the front of the car. The treads on the rear tires were within the limits of not needing to be replaced - less than 3/32" compared to the new tires (if I remember correctly). The car drove well all week. Then my wife was driving up the highway tonight and bingo - shake rattle and roll again. She happened to be driving past the dealer so she pulled in. The service manager took it for a ride and said, "We will take care of this problem." They gave her a big new SUV to drive and off she went.
    The tires are the foam lined Continentals. Should be interesting...

Boolit Grand Master

We bought a 2018 Buick Regal TourX two months ago. It had 16,000 miles on it. Nice car, kinda like a station wagon. All wheel drive. Anyways, after a recent snow storm, the car started shaking at 50+ MPH. Probably snow and ice in the wheels. So I went to the carwash twice and did a good cleaning job. Still shook. The dealer let us keep the car in their heated garage overnight to melt the ice. Next day, it still shook over 45 MPH. The dealer kept the car and told my wife yesterday that they were replacing two tires that were "out of spec and couldn't be balanced." OK, great. But, what would make two tires go "out of spec" and need to be replaced? The tires were covered this time but they won't be the next time it happens (if it does).
    I have the feeling the dealer isn't telling us the whole story.
    Alignment problems, suspension problems? Any ideas?

It's a Certified Pre-owned with a lot of the factory warranty left on it.
    Broken belts or just sidewall or tread defects when building. I bought 4 tires and put them on my F150. Truck shook and the back hopped up and down. I had the tires rebalenced and lined. Still shook. Rotated the tires, no dice. Replaced rear axle shafts and bearings, drive shaft and bearing, struts, tie rods, ball joints and still shook. Scratched my head and got 4 brand new tires and the shaking stopped. At least I know how to do that other stuff now.

As for self sealing tires....gimmick for extra money in my opinion. I'd stay away from them and do. If your that worried about punctures you can buy stuff that is a liquid you put right into the tire that will seal a puncture if you get one. Pretty cool stuff and great for farm tires or construction. We don't run it in our semi's but I think we should considering that a super single flat runs about $1,000. Couple of thousand if you destroy the rim and need a road call.

http://www.tier1tires.com/shaffers-s...e-sealant.html

I just called a local tire dealer that I've known for a long time and he said that with alot of new AWD cars, you can get away with replacing only two.

As long as they are on the same axle.
    Last edited by jonp; 12-14-2019 at 05:54 AM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

In lieu of a spare tire, you get a kit with the goo in it for the TourX lol.

Boolit Grand Master

It's good that the dealer is replacing the tires but they were fine (or seemed to be) and then after the storm they started shaking. The said the other two tires are fine. There's no history of the car being in an accident. I'll pick their brains more when I get the car.
    Just because it wasn't reported doesn't mean there was not one. At least the dealer is making it right and not arguing with you over it.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Todd N. View Post
    My daughter is a sales rep. She drives 30-40,000 miles a year. I've never heard of a car that would consistently stand up to that use other than Saab. But Saabs are ugly.
    Honda begs to differ.

Laugh if you want but I bought my wife a Fiat 500. She drove 25,000 a year commuting and all I did was change the oil and rotate the tires until she totaled it on a deer with 150k on the odometer. Bought her another one. 42MPG's and a hoot to drive with the standard but I wouldn't want to take it across country.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by clum553946 View Post
    In lieu of a spare tire, you get a kit with the goo in it for the TourX lol.
    LOL, Wife's Fiat is the first car I've ever seen with a bottle of Goo instead of a spare. I spent a few hours trying to pry up the rear trunk floor to see if one was there.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Todd N. View Post
    Oh, that's easy.

EVERYBODY knows that the Toyota 4Runner is the best car ever made. ROFL!!!

I chose one for my daily driver/weekend mountain exploring vehicle. After my GMC Yukon was wore out at only 100k miles and needing repairs every month, I'd had enough of American garbage.

Attachment 252950
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    Contrary to popular belief, the DO NOT put sub-standard tires on new cars. For a lot of years now the auto companies have been putting quality tires on all the cars and trucks they produce.
    I guess that depends on what you define "quality tires" as.

Are they name brand tires that aren't dangerous in summer? Yes. But every new vehicle I've purchased the past ten years came with tires that had consistently poor reviews by consumers and testers.

My new Ram 1500 came with Goodyear Wrangler SR-A tires. Great for driving down the highway in summer. Awful for anything else. My new 4Runner came with Dunlop Grandtrek AT20 tires. They looked decent and I thought they would do well for the winter. Nope. They are rated at #74 out of 78 tires tested in their category on TireRack.com.

My work vehicle is a 2015 Ford Escape and the factory tires were at the wear bars at 11k miles and were horrible on wet and snowy roads.

So, I disagree that new cars come with quality tires because I haven't seen it or heard of it.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    I'm thinking its a possible tread separation.
    My guess as well.

Probably not re-treads, just a couple of bad tires.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DocSavage View Post
    Had the same problem with a minivan,55-60 mph shook like a belly dancer on speed scared the living daylights out of me and my wife new tires solved the problem. For backup info though not the same company look up "Jeep death wobble"
    Death wobble is something completely different. It's related to a solid axle moving side to side in relation to the steering gear.

Banned

dads 2015 outback is on its 3rd transmission and it has 45k on it. First one went, they rebuilt it, 8k later it went again and they were going to rebuild it again till he raised enough hell that they replace it. It also had a wheel bearing go at 30k. I get a kick out of people that claim ANY brand is bullet proof. Cars made in America ( and yup buicks too) are every bit as well made and last as long as anything the japs make. May not have been that way 20 years ago but today if anything the domestic brands have more and better technology then the japs. Why? Because they have there buyer brain washed and they will gladly pay for 5 year old technology. Even 15 years ago show me a jap motor that was any better then the 3.8 buick and olds used. That motor would run forever and got as good of fuel mileage in a full sized buick then a corolla got with a 4 cyl stick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    Subaru’s last for ever. We had one in the shop about 15 years ago with 480,000 miles on it. It came in for an oil change. The customers were traveling across country. They had six people in that little station wagon and it was overloaded with them and luggage. They were very large people. They called us a Couple hours later and said their motor locked up and stalled And figured that they had an oil out or we didn’t put the oil in it. We paid to have it towed into the shop and I Figured I’d be eating the bill on an engine . I stopped sweating bullets when we pushed it into the shop and pop the hood to find out The oil registered perfectly to the full Mark on the dipstick. I guess it was just its day to die. The motor finally had enough and the timing chain snapped I guess from what the customer told us a few weeks later when they had it towed home to their dealership.The motor finally had enough and the timing chain snapped I guess from what the customer told us a few weeks later when they had it towed home to their dealership

Banned
    LLoyd, we can always count on you to deliver the buy American mantra.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast