Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: ISE Hates plumbing

Boolit Master

ISE Hates plumbing

but will do it before I call a plumber I hooked up a new lavatory and put a new top on the vanity. Plumber wanted to charge $280 just to hook up the lavatory. Crap I bought a Taurus G2C and 500 rds of ammo for that. So I don't hate plumbing that bad.
    Frank G.

Cool.
    Doing it yourself helps protect and preserve the fund for gunpowder and Whiskey.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master
    I crawled under enough houses plumbing when I was a teenager. The only plumbing I do now is my own.

Robert

Boolit Master
    I love doing plumbing work! Last year, I installed two 75 gallon WH's for a friend, plus I had to replace my 22 yr old WH, and I did it on my granddaughter's birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by CastingFool View Post
    I love doing plumbing work! Last year, I installed two 75 gallon WH's for a friend, plus I had to replace my 22 yr old WH, and I did it on my granddaughter's birthday.
    Your name is wrong! should be "Plumbing Fool".

Boolit Master

might seem kinda high but you did not need to pay for a truck to haul your tools and parts to the job, you did not need to pay for a plumbing license and a contractor license, you did not need to pay liability and other insurances, you did not need to pay for all the other crap the gov makes you do to be in business. I understand where your coming from and would have done the same thing but just remember service people are not out to deliberately rip you off.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    I understand where your coming from and would have done the same thing but just remember service people are not out to deliberately rip you off.
    No I don't think you understand.
    The last water leak I had a plumber quoted me $2000 because my water heater no longer met the local codes and it would have to be replaced. That was even though the WH was NOT the cause of the leak. So I called another plumber who replaced a copper elbow for $225. That has been 3 years ago and I still have the same WH.

The cause of the leak was a pin hole in the copper elbow. The sorry plumbers that originally plumbed the house when it was built patched a pin hole in the copper with a cold solder patch. The cold solder eventually began leaking. It was just shabby workmanship compounded twice by the same plumber.
    Last edited by EDG; 05-12-2020 at 07:37 PM.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    we (swmbo and I) always figured I can screw it up 3x, when installing something, before its cheaper to hire, and by the third time I should know how to do it correctly LOL (education costs money) However, now, old man time has started to play games with us both, but now we have a handyperson that we really like, (young couple) so we have them in to do stuff with us, they seem really eager to learn how to do stuff and be self reliant, besides they need the work and we don't have any kin so we might as well spend on them, and pass on the know how, he's all hot to learn huntin fishin reloadin (city kid never had a chance she's the same she want to learn preserving gardening how to skin a bear dear moose and process she figure's someday the market shelves will be empty. How about that?

Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    The last water leak I had a plumber quoted me $2000 because my water heater no longer met the local codes and it would have to be replaced. .
    Reminds of a remodeling contractor here.
    I wanted a 20' x 30' room addition on the slab of the existing patio.
    ---- Three walls & a roof. The guy only wanted $82,000. for the job.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Well I don't worry about what it cost and I will hire the other plumbing jobs. They are far beyond my capabilities as at 81 almost it takes to long. And I do understand overhead cost .
    Frank G.

Boolit Master
    HOR, COL, SRDH. 3 simple rules.

Quite a few years ago, I needed to replace a valve on the water supply to the washer. It was a Saturday afternoon; it looked like an easy job, and I would still have time to go to the office to finish a report I had been working on. I thought I would use flexible copper to make the connections, with compression fittings. After about three tries, I had kinked every bend in the tubing, and could not get the fittings to seal. Not one to give up easily, I kept trying to make it work, well into the night.

About 1:00 am, I sat on a bench in the garage, praying "Please God, help me get this water back on." A few minutes later I found a shutoff cap which I soldered over the end of the supply line, allowing me to turn the water back on. A friend came over the next day and finished the job for me.

All of which leads me to the conclusion that plumbing makes men religious.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master

I remodeled my bathroom last summer for $4500. Tore it down to the studs, knocked out a wall, and doubled it's size. Brand new everything.
    My dad and I did all the work. Was told it would be $30k+ if I hired it out.

I don't like plumbing, but it turned out well. Only had a couple of leaks when we first turned the water on and after those were fixed, it's been great ever since.

Before:

Attachment 262041

Attachment 262042

During:

Attachment 262043

After:

Attachment 262044

Attachment 262045
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Reminds of a remodeling contractor here.
    I wanted a 20' x 30' room addition on the slab of the existing patio.
    ---- Three walls & a roof. The guy only wanted $82,000. for the job.
    You did ask for all Italian marble walls and a gilded dome of gold right?

1. “You know what”- runs downhill.
    2. Payday is Friday.
    You are now a plumber.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    1. “You know what”- runs downhill.
    2. Payday is Friday.
    You are now a plumber.
    You forgot don't bite your nails...
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy
    My sister in law had a water pipe burst under her porch (main line in from the alley), they quoted her $8K to fix and more if they ran into unforseen problems, I went and looked at it and between her brother, husband and I we fixed it that same afternoon for under $200 in 1"PEX and Sharkbite products, it been 15 yrs and still going strong.
    "People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by tunnug View Post
    My sister in law had a water pipe burst under her porch (main line in from the alley), they quoted her $8K to fix and more if they ran into unforseen problems, I went and looked at it and between her brother, husband and I we fixed it that same afternoon for under $200 in 1"PEX and Sharkbite products, it been 15 yrs and still going strong.
    I love PEX! I can still do copper, and a couple of our fittings in the remodel were done old school with copper, but the rest was PEX. So easy.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Buddy
    I do a lot of LPG work, a major problem I come across is people installing the appliances themselves, not converting the units to LPG from natural gas, running bare copper in brick walls then filling with concrete ans so on and then asking me to sign off on their job, god I love these do it yourself shows they have made me a lot of money over the years.

I recently had all new plumbing installed and a new on demand H/W heater $3K for the H/W including gas and electric routing/ rerouting. Same contractor replaced all of the old galvanized pipe for $1K , including 1/4 turn SS ball valves on every outlet for every appliance,showers,hose bibs, toilets,sinks .100% of my piping is accessible from the basement and I despise having to shut the entire house down to do any plumbing. They did all the work in 3 days. Two journeyman plumbers that treated my house like they were doing their own home, quality work as it’s all visible and they cared what you would see.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast