Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marauder .25

Boolit Master

My thoughts are very similar to yours GhostHawk.
    You can buy .25 caliber boatail air rifle molds from NOE right now.
    I already own molds very much like the premium Air Venturi brand 9mm projectiles that sell for 25 cents each.

I have read that there is a technique in pumping these high pressure pumps. They need some dwell time at the end of each stroke, so the air can get through small passages. Both on the up and down stroke. Should get some first hand experience on that today.

I could see my self without that information, grabbing the pump and going to town like I was pumping up a bicycle tire 50 year ago.

Fed-Ex delivered the rifle about 9:30 yesterday, Hope the pump and pellets arrive early too.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Master

The pump an pellets arrived about 11.

The rifle had about 600 psi in the tank when it arrived.

It took over 300 pumps to bring the pressure up to 2900.
    I fired two clips, 16 rounds and the pressure was about 2100.

120 pumps later it is back at 2900.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

What's the pumping effort like, now that you've actually tried it ?

Boolit Master

The bottom of the stroke requires some pushing.
    I'm 6'2" 245 lbs, pot belly, but always worked physical jobs when employed.
    I could push it down ok but the last time I filled it up. wore gloves because my candy a** hand was gonna get a blister. I could see where smaller folks might not be heavy enough to push the handle down.
    The next time I filled it after 17 shots, from 2100 to 2900 it took 105 strokes. Better technique, maybe.
    I was sighting in first by adjusting the set screws on the millet scope rings, After 24 rounds I was confident of my zero. So with a full magazine, 8 rounds, stepped over the fence to the neighbors gopher patch. Yeah, they are ground squirrels, but gophers in local lingo.

First four shots connected, the pellet seems to hit with pretty good authority. all these shots were 40 yards or less. Then fired a couple to show the neighbor how it worked. A couple misses at 70 or more yards. First shot held with the top of the post dual x crosshair, saw the impact and corrected, next one whizzed by very close to his head due to lack of wind correction. Might have hit his whisker but he got busy and headed down the hole.
    Then one was asking for it at about 55 yards, first one missed, corrected elevation second one, solid hit.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Sounds like just too much fun! Also sounds like worth the pumping effort.
    Now i want one lol.

Boolit Master

Smaller calibers get more shots per fill, but I wanted a bit more thump kinda like a guy who shoots 35.
    I've been hunting big game with 35 whelen since 1979.
    Edit, got my Whelen in 89.
    Last edited by clodhopper; 03-24-2017 at 04:37 PM.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Bub
    I love my 25 marauder. Been shooting and hand pumping it for three years now. Pump it up to red line 2900 and shoot till about 2600..pumps back to resistance in ten pumps and back to full in another 30 or so..I'm 67 yrs young and hand pumping is easy... ground squirrels down and out at 80 yes frequently and occasionally to 100 yds. Enjoy your new gun.

Boolit Master

I am 68 and pump up my Disco and Hastan 44 2,000 and 3,000 psi guns.
    I will say I shoot the 44 less because of the pumping issue.
    If you are talking 3,000 psi guns, you are talking SCBA, not SCUBA tanks for air supply too.
    SCBA tank or Nitrogen keep bouncing around in my head, but the cheapskate part of me prevents just biting the bullet and ordering up.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Clodhopper,

we seem to think a lot alike. I've had my whelen for about 6 years now,and it is a thumper. I think you made a real good choice in getting the 25 cal.

Boolit Master

You are right TCLouis, you do not get many 3000 PSI fills from a 3000 PSI tank. The scba hold to 4500.
    Groundpounder, I may need to get a scope with some hash marks on the reticule to have much luck at 100 yards.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

The hand pump wasn't that bad for the disco but I think I pumped the m-rod up twice by hand. I then made a booster pump and made this to convert the hand pump to a more user friendly configuration.

Boolit Master

That's really nice, I was giving some though to a similar device, but want to make it portable and possibly powered with a cordless drill.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

That would be one serious cordless drill, be sure to start a new thread on your build.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    That would be one serious cordless drill, be sure to start a new thread on your build.
    Yeah, that is a stumbling point. I'm guessing the right cordless drill will come with wheels and trailer hitch.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Buddy
    dangit gentlemen, now you've got me thinking about the .25

Even the expensive molds on NOE break even at 3k shots, a cheap one in just under 2k. That is damn tempting.

Boolit Master

Remember to pump slowly, too fast and the heat builds up quickly.
    Yes mil-dot scopes are important . . . much more so than with powder guns.
    There are some pretty chap ones that work well, though Hawke seems to be a very good scope for much more money.

For the first time I have had to learn hold-under.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Remember to pump slowly, too fast and the heat builds up quickly.

That is why I built my autodrive with adjustable speed, to find the sweet spot. Where I had it running in the video above it will pump the mrod from 2000-3000 psi in 2:08 while raising the pump temperature only 17 degrees F.

I have a Gen 1 .25 Wood Stock with a few mods and a Gen 2 .22 Synthetic with a few mods, including a new Marmot Militia barrel, which took the gun from disappointing to stellar. They are a blast to shoot, although I just have a Hill hand pump, which can be a beatdown for high volume plinking. For those on the fence, the .25 has substantially more knockdown power than the .22 (at least stock anyway). I took out about 15 tree rats with the .25, and every hit was DRT. The .22 is solid, but outside of head shots, they typically will run a little bit. The .25 on grackels, starlings and sparrows is brutal, particularly when using the Predator Polymags. The JSB's are no slouch, but the Polymags make even a glancing blow...entertaining.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12