Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners

Thread: Hope they Work ?

Hope they Work ?

Here are a couple of .357 bullets I made using 9 mm brass and plain reloading dies and Lee bullet sizer dies.Attachment 181125
    Last edited by brstevns; 11-21-2016 at 12:04 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Nice, what is your sequence?

Boolit Mold
    Looks good to me.. Tell us about them.

Boolit Master
    info please?

Anneal the 9mm brass using a small propane type torch, run the 9mm brass thru a .380 diameter sizer die base first. I used a 38 special sizing die to do this. Then annealed again. Ran these thru a 9mm roll crimp die. This got them down to a little over 363. Once again base first. Then run them thru a Lee .357 push thru bullet lub sizer. I then took some 130 lee 7mm cast bullet rejects and place them in the case and hit them with the torch again. This melted lead and anneal the brass once again. For the pointed bullet I ran these thru a 17 rem rcbs seating die , for the flat point a 22 jet sizer die. I then place the pointed bullet in a hand held drill and used a little 120 grit sand paper to bring the lead tip to a point , same for the flat point just to round off the edges. Then finale step, ran thru a lee 356 sizer die , with spring back they are coming out .3575
    Plan on making up a .365 bullet sizer die from a old sizing die and use this for a step between the .380 and .357 die
    Now to load a few and see how they shoot. This is for a 358 win my sister-in-law got for me.
    Know one thing, those custom bullets, made by a few members are worth every cent just for the labor. I would think a 17 fireball or 222 rem or even a 223 rem die could replace the 17 rem die.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the run down.. What did they finish up at 180ish?

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyvdH View Post
    Thanks for the run down.. What did they finish up at 180ish?
    Depending on the brand of brass 185 to 188 gr.

Boolit Buddy

Special kind of thinking outside the box. Really nice. Would make a nice projectile for my Rossi M92 in 357/38spec.

Bill

Going to steal your Idea.............................................. ....hehehe
    NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

Space for Witty Signature Line FOR RENT...........Cheap

Let us know how they work in the Rossi.

Quote Originally Posted by R.Ph. 380 View Post
    Special kind of thinking outside the box. Really nice. Would make a nice projectile for my Rossi M92 in 357/38spec.

Bill

Going to steal your Idea.............................................. ....hehehe
    Please forgive my bad manners. Can send you a few to try if you want. Would you like the flat nose or spire? One catch, must tell me about your results. PM me if interested.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by brstevns View Post
    Please forgive my bad manners. Can send you a few to try if you want. Would you like the flat nose or spire? One catch, must tell me about your results. PM me if interested.
    Oh, I have all the fix'ins just never thought to use them that way. Will get'em made and loaded sometime in Jan or Feb. After I retire. WILL report back here.

Bill
    NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

Space for Witty Signature Line FOR RENT...........Cheap

Retired already, such projects keep me out of my wife's way. I will report on how they do in the 358 win. once I get to try them.
    Last edited by brstevns; 11-25-2016 at 02:05 PM.

Finally found time to try a few of the spire points. I picked the 5 worst I had. They weight 165 gr to 179 gr . Loaded them over 23.5 gr of IMR 4198 using reformed 308 brass, shot them at 100 yd. Group size was 4 inches by 1/2 inch. 2 went 2 inches high 2 went 2 inches low and 1 went 1/2 inch to the left.

Boolit Master

Thanks for the honest report, looking forward to when you shoot the best ones.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Finally found time to try the good ones. Pick out the best that weight in at 188 gr ( spire Point) type. Loaded them over a starting load of AA2700 . Fired 3 rounds at 50 yards. Group ran 1/2 inch. Maybe I am getting somewhere ?

R.Ph. 380 Did you ever get any made up ?

Boolit Master

Have you had a chance to make any from .38 super or 7.62X25? The length might get you to 200 grains or more.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Banned
    I love it! Great job. Good old American ingenuity. You used a load of common sense and the tools you had and came up with very usable, noteworthy results. Congratulations.

Quote Originally Posted by clodhopper View Post
    Have you had a chance to make any from .38 super or 7.62X25? The length might get you to 200 grains or more.
    Just been using old range pick ups and some 9mm that rancher1913 sent to me. Have not found any 38 super or 7.62x25 to work with. Might try cutting down some 223 rem brass when I get the time.

I also tried some Imr 4198 and a charge giving around 1400fps . That did not work out. It seemed the bullets wanted to yawn as the holes were not nice and round. The low end starting load of 2700 seemed to give the pressure needed. The holes left by this load left nice clean holes, like those made by a SWC type bullet.