WidenersRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My First 310 and A Couple Lee Loaders

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BrassMagnet View Post
    The late model steel handles, marked "L" or "S" vice marked with a caliber, use the same hardened steel plate and the same adapters to change caliber.

Looks like that’s he unobtanium that I need!

Boolit Master

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...p-thread/page4

Post #70 has photos of the various handle types.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BrassMagnet View Post
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...p-thread/page4

Post #70 has photos of the various handle types.
    Thank you!!

Congrats! great haul, at a great price! Even if you don’t use them, they’re still good to have.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Excellent haul, especially the target loader. I've used the 30-30 Lee loader with cast bullet loads just NSing w/o any chambering problems in Winchester and a Marlin. With the lighter loads the dipper throws even 311041 loads have not required FL sizing before use. I made two smaller dipper that throw 2.7 gr Bullseye for use with 90 gr SWCs and 5.5 gr Unique for use with a GC'd 311316. I also got the small case mouth flaring tool from Lee for loading cast bullets.

You'll want to use a plastic headed mallet. Inexpensive on Amazon. I just ordered up a Lee loader for my grandson to use with his new Marlin. I suggest accumulating the following to go with it as it makes it really nice and easy to load. BTW a separate priming tool is very nice to have. Setting a primer off in the standard loader scares the bejesus out of you. You have a separate priming tool in the target loader so you are set. I have loaded thousands of round of .223 and 308W with the Lee target loaders and have recently modified a 30-06 target loader to load my 30x60 XCB cartridge.

A couple tips;

Get;
    One of the larger MTM storage boxes, one with an internal tray, as it will hold all your reloading stuff.

A plastic headed mallet. These are available at most hardware/lumber yards.

Some 0000 steel wool to clean the outside of the neck. A small tuft wrapped around the neck and twisted does a quick job. May also be used with discretion to clean the outside of the cases. The green scrubber pads for dish washing work well also.

A clean bore brush one size larger than the caliber you are loading for on a small pistol rod to clean the inside of the necks. Push it straight in and slightly twist pulling it out. Usually one pass cleans the carbon and debris out pretty well.

A small screw driver to clean the primer pocket but the Lee primer pocket cleaner is inexpensive and works well.

The Lee chamfer tool to chamfering the inside of the case mouth and the outside if necessary. A small knife blade will do also for the inside.

The Lee hand priming tool is almost a must unless you want the be-jesus scared out of you when a primer pops tapping them in.

A Lee powder funnel, works much better than pouring through the sizer.

A tapered punch or needle nosed pliers can be used to flair the case mouth if you are loading cast bullets. Or get the caliber specific one from Lee, very inexpensive. If you've a lathe or have access one can easily be made also.

A loading block to hold the cases that you’ve put powder into.

Nice, or next to have;

Lee’s powder dipper set.
    A good powder scale.
    A powder trickler.
    At least one good reloading manual, Lyman’s #49, #3 or #4 CBH is recommended.
    A dial caliper.

All the above will fit into the MTM box.

Most of the above will also be required or useful when you advance to a single or progressive press.

For the 310 tool: a small dab of case lube on the out side of clean cases makes sizing and extracting the cases a lot easier. The Lee case lube or some pure lanolin works fine. It is easily wiped off with a paper towel. Also a clean bore brush pushed into the case and twisted out to clean off the carbon deposit makes extracting from the expander die a lot easier.
    Now you're teaching me some really cool tricks!

Boolit Master

Busted out the 310 and loaded up 25 rounds of 38 special with 4 grains of unique and a Lee 358-158 rf
    It was pretty fun and it was nice to take some time instead of being done loading so fast like with the Dillon 550

For whatever reason... I prefer full length sizing, so Im left out of the 310 tool bazaar.

Boolit Master

My first loading experience was priming. 38SPL cases with a 310 tong tool, I was 4yrs old. It made me feel like I was really reloading, better then just hauling/hanging on the old LYMAN Comet' press's handle.
    Even today I still use the sizer dies with the 7/8 X 14 Adapters to neck size the .250SAV, .257ROB'T & .25-06 with just .250SAV die. Also .270WCF and Various .30cals & 7mm's. I've used a lot of different 310 dies with the adapter's. Glad I bought a big hand full when they were only 2bucks a pop. You can also add a decapping/expanding rod to a 310 neck sizer & they work as well as any regular Neck Sizer die.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Checked and the 30-30 Lee Loader does just neck size the brass, I DO know tho that Lee Loaders full length size the 9mm Luger and 45 ACP cases. (Which makes sense as most guns for those calibers are autoloaders.)

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Michael J. Spangler View Post
    I was considering selling the Target loader but I'm really thinking I might keep it now because it's a rare gem. Spending a lot of time with a mentor and very good friend of mine I always love the old curios and reloading tidbits that show the evolution of the hobby (passion, addiction) in its infancy before everything became standardized the way it is today. I think I'm better off keeping it.

The tool did come with a rather long top punch looking tool that's about 3" long, has a 38 special sized rim for extraction and is very snug fitting to the extra die. The extra die being marked simply 358 as you noted.
    I'm going to try to push a bullet through to see if it works.

What are your thought on the old steel caliber specific tools vs the new aluminum handled interchangeable tools? I would really love a set that I could interchange for some of the cartridges I load. Specifically the 45/70 because I love going old school on an old school cartridge.

I did notice that the case mouth sizer die seems to really size down the brass significantly, which is popped right back into spec with the expander of course.
    I may have a new addiction. My mentor and dear friend has a good collection of these old tools including some of the older tools with the bullet mould included. He gave me one for 32 S&W which I never used because I only loaded S&W Long and have since sold the 32 Hand Ejector that would have gone with it. Either way I do really like these tools.
    Thank you for the info!
    I would love to trade for your 32 S&W and 32 S&WL tools!

Boolit Master

Hi brassmagnet.
    I actually on have the S&W tool not the long tool.
    What do you have for trade? 45/70 tool maybe?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Michael J. Spangler View Post
    Hi brassmagnet.
    I actually on have the S&W tool not the long tool.
    What do you have for trade? 45/70 tool maybe?
    Lots!

Boolit Master

Contact info sent in PM.

Boolit Master

Well Brass - Looks like the long wait might be over
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Grand Master
    Hey Brass, did you and MJS get together on that 32 S&W vs 45-70 trade? Can I quit pawing through the flotsam and jetsam in my basement looking for parts of my "spare" 32 S&W set? I hope both of you were able to get what you want since even though I currently have both of the sets in question to use myself, I'm having trouble coming up with extras.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Froggie,

keep looking, Please !!
    I would love to have a 32 S&W 310 set.
    God Bless ya'll
    Greg

Je suis Charlie

"You can observe a lot by watching."- Yogi Berra

Shooters Talk Refugee

Boolit Master

I have not reached out to BrassMagnet yet.
    I've been so busy I don't know wether I'm coming or going. Brass I'll try to reach out to you this weekend. Don't lose faith. Life just keeps getting in the way

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Hey Brass, did you and MJS get together on that 32 S&W vs 45-70 trade? Can I quit pawing through the flotsam and jetsam in my basement looking for parts of my "spare" 32 S&W set? I hope both of you were able to get what you want since even though I currently have both of the sets in question to use myself, I'm having trouble coming up with extras.

Froggie
    Keep digging.
    I haven't heard any singing yet.

Boolit Grand Master
    I’m beginning to fear some key items have crossed the event horizon and been sucked all the way into the black hole. I found a lonely .311 expander die and the ubiquitous universal decapper, but the MR or CMR continue to elude me. I did find the seater die for a 32 ACP, so “hope springs eternal...” I found the empty 310 die box, but am still digging for the TL Jr box in hopes I left a die or two in it.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Regarding 32 dies, my set is marked 32 pistol and supposedly serves 32acp, 32S&W and 32 long -- Bought new in the early 60's --

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast