RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gascheck seating "jig" for Lee sizer

Banned

Gascheck seating "jig" for Lee sizer

Piece of nylon with deep, medium and shallow holes drilled the boolits diameter

tape penny to bottom of jig under the deep hole to span hole in sizing die

Place boolit in deepest hole and set GasCheck on boolit

set jig in press and press GasCheck on to boolit

place base of GasChecked boolit in sizing die (still in the jig) and seat a deep as possible

switch to medium hole in jig and seat

switch to shallowest hole and seat
    Last edited by Grmps; 01-09-2018 at 03:02 AM.

Banned
    Push flush GasChecked boolit through sizing die (limited pressure needed so boolit tip won't deform

GasChecked boolit

I enlarged a Lee C309-200-R boolit with multiple coats of PC to size down to 312
    I enlarged a Lee 311 boolit size die to 312+

Neede to come with something so the gas checks would seat better.

Just a 3/4" x 3" piece of nylon with holes drilled in it but it got the job done.
    Last edited by Grmps; 01-09-2018 at 03:15 AM.

Boolit Master
    I was a little confused there but I figured out that "primer" = "gas check"
    Loren

Boolit Master
    Looks like something I will try eventually & thanks for sharing it. But... I have not had too much trouble seating primers or gas checks. Disclaimer is that I only use the GC's currently, for one type of boolit. (150gr. FN boolit, 30 cal.(.309) GC for 30-06 & .308)

Last edited by JBinMN; 01-09-2018 at 04:21 AM.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Banned
    Sorry guys, since the magnum primer went off in my progressive press I've had primers on the mind

A big thank you to the MOD that fixed my title boo-boo
    Last edited by Grmps; 01-09-2018 at 03:07 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    Sorry guys, since the magnum primer went off in my progressive press I've had primers on the mind
    LOL. I understand.

2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

I just set the gas check on my countertop. Place the bullet square on it, smack it with a rubber mallet, seating and squaring the check. Then drop both nose first into an upside down Lee C press with Lee sizing kit and run it through.

Since I started doing it this way, no more checks falling off. No undersized bullets either.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    I just set the gas check on my countertop. Place the bullet square on it, smack it with a rubber mallet, seating and squaring the check. Then drop both nose first into an upside down Lee C press with Lee sizing kit and run it through.

Since I started doing it this way, no more checks falling off. No undersized bullets either.

+1 on this ^^^ and you get a nice square seating of the Gas Check if you take care when tapping the boolit base into the check; followed by running through Push Through Sizer (Lee or NOE in my case).
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

I run them through the Lee sizer base first. I'm generally doing RNFP bullets as cast and if not they will be a bit in that direction after the ram pushes them through. I do gas checks before PC so I don't exactly have the same situation. I will file this approach away as a possible solution for bullets with more rounded nose I may do at some time.

Would be nice if one could get a shaped ram for the nose when using a Lee sizer and/or a shaped plug that replaced the sizer die for seating a gas check against.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

I kinda figured by now that someone would come up with a nose punch that fit over a slightly smaller ram so the spire pointed boolits could be pushed through base first. If I only had a lathe. My other thought was a push though die that had more of a taper at entry and then more gradually down to size. Keeping it centered would be key hence the taper. my dos centavos
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Moderator Emeritus

And had to wash your shorts...

had that happen on the shotshell progressive... set off 20 primers

Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post

Banned
    Improved the step for snugging the check onto the boolit

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    We could make it easier on some of you and just suggest you park on "the throne" while seating primers :P

Boolit Master
    I just pour a bunch of checks on the counter top-- press the bullet base into the check by and run it through the Lee sizer. I do look to see if they are square, but don;t even bother with the mallet. I've never had any trouble with checks doing it this way.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Banned
    Wednesday update: I seated the checks on the boolits using my jig.
    I pressed one (the left) through base first and the gas check basses had more rounded corners
    then I pressed one (on the right) through nose first and got a gas check with a much flatter base.now to determine which shoots better

Grmps...My money is on the one sized nose first...

Say, when that primer went off in the press, what press was it and how did it happen?
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Nose first here. Inverted press so no balancing it on the push shaft. Just drop it in the hole nose first and lift the arm.

Gravity helps hold everything in place until it gets squeezed.

Banned
    Latest evolution usage of nylon holder/jig to hold and protect pointed boolits while attaching gas checks for sizing.

set pointy boolit (spire point or ??? ) in pre-drilled nylon "holder

set a check on boolit and safely tap gas check onto boolit without damaging the tip

then size nose first in Lee sizer

Boolit Mold
    very interesting, I'll have to try it

Boolit Bub
    More stuff to build, Ohboy!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast