Reloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finally shot my 71/84 Mauser!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfreak25 View Post
    I have a 71/84 too and just ordered some 45-90 brass to form. I am having a custom base forming die machined on a lathe to use with my shop press to swage the bases of the 45-90 to the Mauser A Base beveled rim. In theory it should work, might have to ream out the primer pockets when finished. My dies just arrived today and next is a nice mold. Accurate makes a .433 smooth sided paper patched bullet with a flat nose that is 350 grains and is what I will be using, since I like to paper patch. My patch material is 100% cotton rag vellum which adds .012 so that'll give me within a .001 of the .446 size needed for the Mauser.

What is the Facebook group you have for these rifles? I am on the Martini Henry page and Nepal Cache collectors myself. Always loved the 71/84 ever since I restored one from a parts gun when I was 17. I am 26 now and built this one from a parts gun too albeit more complete and in better condition. Just scored an original mag tube off ebay to finish it off.
    Where can we see pics of the finished product Gunfreak 25?

Took my 71/84 out yesterday. Rifle shot a foot high and slightly left. Load: 26 grains of Imr 4198. Rcbs 44-370. Drops at 393 grains. 3.5" 5 shot group at 100 yards. 4 were in 2 inches.

I used 45-90 brass, and fl sized then trimmed. Rims had to be turned down a bit to fit bolt face. Primers backed out halfway. That is to be understood because of the difference in the rims.
    Upon reloading the cases back up, I discovered I could use a 45 acp carbide sizing die to neck size the case. Works great. Thought I would pass along this info to those working with these neat old rifles.

That's good to know information. Thanks, iron brigade.

Boolit Master
    Iron Brigade, I also had had your problem with excessive headspace with 45-90 brass,having misfires with shallow F-pin strikes. I clamped a steel rod in a vice, slid the case over it and used a small brass hammer to tap around the rim turning it downward , thereby increasing rim headspace. It worked well so I later made a simple little die to do all my cases. I never thought to use .45 die, a good idea as my Lee set of dies are kind of hard on my brass.

What a great idea, could you make me one of those dies? I would gladly pay you for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken in Iowa View Post
    Where can we see pics of the finished product Gunfreak 25?
    I will be making a new thread here when the base forming die for the brass gets here, I will post pictures of how to convert the 45-90 over to 43 Mauser using the die and of course where to buy the die from if he wants to make more for others. I'll put some pics of the rifle up too of course, and eventually a range report.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure." -Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfreak25 View Post
    I will be making a new thread here when the base forming die for the brass gets here, I will post pictures of how to convert the 45-90 over to 43 Mauser using the die and of course where to buy the die from if he wants to make more for others. I'll put some pics of the rifle up too of course, and eventually a range report.
    Please do, i'll be watching for it.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure." -Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gewehr-Guy View Post
    Iron Brigade, I also had had your problem with excessive headspace with 45-90 brass,having misfires with shallow F-pin strikes. I clamped a steel rod in a vice, slid the case over it and used a small brass hammer to tap around the rim turning it downward , thereby increasing rim headspace. It worked well so I later made a simple little die to do all my cases. I never thought to use .45 die, a good idea as my Lee set of dies are kind of hard on my brass.
    I just slid an O-ring in front of the rim the first time i fired my cases and has had no problems with headspace and/or primers backing out. That way the shoulder moves forward to where the case lies against the bolt. Then again sizing/forming the case the first time you could just size short and check until the case will barely ckamber and call that your sizing deapth.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12