RotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Wideners Load Data
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: mauser 98 redo.

Boolit Master
    The last time I spoke with Jess he said he wasn't going to bore anymore military barrels. Things may have changed since then.
    There are lots of barrels available at a better price than a rebore if your wanting something common.
    My last rebore was with Delta since Jess wouldn't do it. Something over a year I called to see how it was going and Jims wife told me he had passed away. My barrel was the last one he bored.

Mine was a 7x57 barrel that I bored to .338 with a 14" twist. I ran a 338-06 reamer in until it just cleaned up the 7x57 shoulder. I did a pound cast and cut a set of 338-06 dies off to fit the chamber. I call it a 34 Roberts. I don't know how fast it will push 200 gr cast but I run it around 2000 fps. Recoil starts becoming noticeable much above this. Ive killed 5 deer with it and it certainly packs a wallop.

I never had to touch the feed rails and it feeds like scum off a Louisiana swamp.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Master

To expand on my lazy post. Acquire .358 barrel or blank, fit to action. Cut chamber to 9.1x57 by some method. Best method would be custom made reamer, next best would be with 8x57 or 7x57 reamer with .358 pilot, followed with .358 neck and throat reamer. Could use 8x57 Ackley reamer if desired and still not likely to have feeding problems.

9x57 dies should be easy to modify for loading 9.1.

Boolit Master
    Gee wiz!!!
    Been quite some time..but...it really is this Simple...
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...0x57-amp-35x57

I've always thought a 7.62x57mm would be perfect in every way. The 8x57 necked down; not the 7x57 necked up. Put them side by side and you'll notice why. Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I've always thought a 7.62x57mm would be perfect in every way. The 8x57 necked down; not the 7x57 necked up. Put them side by side and you'll notice why. Best, Thomas.

The 30X57 in the above [linked] thread

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    The 30X57 in the above [linked] thread
    This was my first exposure to that thread. While not exactly the 9.1x57 that I envisioned, Larry's 35x57 would be functionally equivalent and easier to do. I would be tempted to keep the shoulder length the same as the original x57 but extend the case length to 58 or 59 mm and make brass from '06 or Whelen brass. I won't do the math now to know case trim length, but in a couple of years I may get around to it.

Boolit Master
    375 Whelen, 35 Whelen or 338-06
    All based on readily available 06 cases that will feed fine in a 98 Mauser with very little to no fuss with the magazine or bolt.
    IMO I would barrel swap rather than re-bore. Just my 02, YMMV ...
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    8mm take-offs are a dime a Dozen...Any ole Large ring 8mm barrel with good lands and grooves screwed onto your action, then Chambered to 8mm-06 to clean up the Throat mostly...and...One very good rifle...with alot of "Punch"..Cheap!!!!!
    sorry for hijack, but where are barrels best available?

Quote Originally Posted by aephilli822 View Post
    sorry for hijack, but where are barrels best available?
    Sarco or Springfield Sporters for a used military barrel. My vote would be Brownells or Midway's short chambered LR 98 barrels.
    Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master
    It is a great pity that Brownells, and so far as I know other suppliers, no longer stock long chambered barrels, for which the Mauser 98 almost uniquely suitable. The 98 barrel tightens up not on the front of the action (though good gunsmiths usually try for contact there too), but on the internal stop-ring. With a short chambered barrel you just fit it and deepen the chamber with a chamber reamer. But with the long chambered one, you just remove metal from the rear surface of the barrel until the headspace becomes correct. With care you could do it with a file.

Maybe they were discontinued because intellectually gifted persons fitted them just as they came, and got grossly excessive headspace. Not that that should be very dangerous as bad chambering jobs go, as long as the extractor held the head against the bolt face. But maybe they forgot to recess the rear of the barrel for it, and broke off the hook. Or saw on Youtube that you can check headspace most accurately if you remove the extractor... Never underestimate the creativity of the human spirit.

Boolit Buddy
    SHout out for rebarrelling to 9.3x62?

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Ballistics in Scotland View Post
    It is a great pity that Brownells, and so far as I know other suppliers, no longer stock long chambered barrels, for which the Mauser 98 almost uniquely suitable. The 98 barrel tightens up not on the front of the action (though good gunsmiths usually try for contact there too), but on the internal stop-ring. With a short chambered barrel you just fit it and deepen the chamber with a chamber reamer. But with the long chambered one, you just remove metal from the rear surface of the barrel until the headspace becomes correct. With care you could do it with a file.
    For what it's worth, Lothar Walther sells long-chambered barrels direct to consumers from their place of business in Atlanta. They are generally excellent quality barrels.

Quote Originally Posted by PTCSmith View Post
    For what it's worth, Lothar Walther sells long-chambered barrels direct to consumers from their place of business in Atlanta. They are generally excellent quality barrels.
    Good point. And if I'm not mistaken you can get the military step contour- correct?

Boolit Buddy Cold Trigger Finger's Avatar
    My 98 military action has a McGowan 375 Whelan Ackley Improved chambered barrel.
    I'm pushing 250 gr TTSX BT bullets with 56 gr of 4895. Gives me a velocity of 2550 fps from the 19" barrel. Really sweet, light little moose rifle. However, the 9.3×62 Mauser , 35 Whelan or 338/06 . Will all do pretty much the same thing. I wanted a 400 Whelan but this 375 was too sweet to pass up.
    I would still like a 400 Whelan tho.
    Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth.
    Glen.
    You are being watched.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrumbag View Post
    SHout out for rebarrelling to 9.3x62?
    From Lothar Walther for 249.00, yummy.

http://www.lothar-walther.com/270.php

Now I'm caught up! Is that your plan aephilli822?
    Best,Thomas.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Now I'm caught up! Is that your plan aephilli822?
    Best,Thomas.
    Sorry it took so long to reply, I was looking up how to fit a long chambered barrel.

Boolit Buddy
    I had been looking at the custom page prices, didn't realize what I wanted was just 249$

Boolit Buddy Cold Trigger Finger's Avatar
    Their barrels are very nice from what I understand.
    You are being watched.

Quote Originally Posted by aephilli822 View Post
    Sorry it took so long to reply, I was looking up how to fit a long chambered barrel.
    As Ballistics in Scotland said; it can even be Done with a QUALITY mill bastard file. Be sure to chamfer the sharp edges of the chamber hole. And my brother used a Lothar Walther barrel to rebarrel a Browning HiWall to .375 H&H. Great barrel with jackets & cast.
    Best, Thomas.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast