Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 25 ACP, Going Bravely Where No One Has Been!

Boolit Master

25 ACP, Going Bravely Where No One Has Been!

Okay all you guys that just love the 25 ACP, you can come out of the closet and enjoy a post about the midget auto! Enjoying where no other has been before, my work with the 25 ACP turned a corner as I made first cast with a project I started well over a year ago. I've been modeling some self defense cast bullets for semi autos, for me personally, after my big game bullets and one bullet I've been looking forward to working with cast today.

My TL256-57-RF dropped today just as pretty as you please. The bullet is right on weight, 57-grains with plumbers lead, and diameter. Next week I will see how they do on an actual target!

Here is a pile of first cast bullets. I ordered my molds in a two cavity as my previous Lee 252-50-RF had problems keeping up to casting temperature. I figured the six cavity blocks would really make it difficult. May be not. I was able to actually get the mold too hot but at 650° the bullets just fell right out of it. It still was very quick.

A close up of the Ranch Dog TL256-57-RF as a cartridge vs. my Gold Dot reloads. The bullet on the left is a reject, I guess I could have chosen a pretty bullet for the picture. The RD bullet manually cycled very well through my JA-25. Sometimes the Gold Dots do not feed smoothly. The hang up seems to be the lead/copper serrations on the rim of the nose against the ramp. Not real sure, just a little drag. The big thing about the Gold Dots is the expense and I've always had a bug up my rump about them. I saw a fellow shot through the heart with one and it didn't expand one lick. The hollow point was plugged with heart tissue, a gang banger not wearing a shirt, but it didn't do a thing. It barely made it through the dude. I found it when I was checking him to make sure he was dead, it was laying right beside him. Since then, I simply haven't trusted them. Unfortunately, the Hornady XTPs have never been offered as a componet in this caliber.

I purchased QuickLoad specifically for this and my 380 Auto bullet as there is no load data available for a 57-grain 25 ACP bullet or a 125-grain 380 Auto bullet. So far, my 32 ACP and 9mm Luger bullets are shooting very slick. I'm very pleased with this work to date. I might be out of business but the gray matter is still out there sparking!
    Michael

Boolit Master
    Got any more of those molds? or did you just have 1 cut?
    I might be PM'ing you if this ever gets off the ground.... http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=63806

Are you sizing and tumble lubing them?
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Master
    Please keep us posted here, I also have an interest in using an old Lyman mold and getting cast to work with this midget cartridge. I've got some slugs cast up, but I have not yet had the chance to work up any loads. Looks promising!

lathesmith

Boolit Master

Doug, I purchased just enough molds for my personal use. Despite so many successful bullets, I still freak out thinking I might end up with a looser one day and I wouldn't wish that on anyone. There is also quite a difference in bore diameter across the various 25 ACPs I've looked at. The bullet could always be sized down to fit any of them. I'm tumble lubing them with Alox and will run them through a .256 sizerjust to make sure they are true. I have a Lee set of dies and will have to ream out the barrel of my bullet seating die. With the case expanded to except the bullet, the brass drags on the inside diameter of the barrel. I had to do this with my 44 Mag dies because the .432" diameter bullet was doing the same thing. Not a big issue and easy to cure.

I'm really excited about this work lathesmith. The Lee 252 was undersized but it was free! I lapped it but still wasn't happy with it because I want a big flat nose than feeds. If I have to use it in a self defense situation, I want it to hurt. Like I said, so far my work with the 32 ACP and 9mm Luger has been outstanding and fun too!

Oh, I will start on my TL358-125-RF for my 380 Autos next week! Pumped about them too!
    Michael

Boolit Master
    RD-- Hornady did sell .25 XTP's as components. I bought a box 7-8 years ago. I'm at work now and can't check, but I think they weighed 40gr. They fed perfectly and shot pretty well in my Colt .25. Might be able to find them at gun shows.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by quack1 View Post
    RD-- Hornady did sell .25 XTP's as components. I bought a box 7-8 years ago. I'm at work now and can't check, but I think they weighed 40gr. They fed perfectly and shot pretty well in my Colt .25. Might be able to find them at gun shows.

The ones I have seen were sold as "BLEMS", and not called XTP's even though a blind man could have told you that is what they were.

Banned

RD, looks like fun but how do you know you have one of those little things between your fingers to even get one in the press?

Boolit Grand Master

I once loaded 100 rounds of these little things for a guy who bought me the dies, blts, etc. After nearly making paper punch holes in my fingers, and actually cutting off a little skin a couple of times decided I didn't ever want to load 25 ACP ever again. Gave him the 100 rounds (that he said shot great), the dies, and told him to find someone else to load for him, or to learn to load himself. Also recommended that he buy at least a 380, or a 22LR, either of which would have better suited him purpose.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master

44man,

The bullet isn't the problem, it's finding that case as the shellholder swallows it!
    Michael

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranch Dog View Post
    44man,

The bullet isn't the problem, it's finding that case as the shellholder swallows it!
    No, the problem isn't that. Its getting the boolit started straight in that little case neck with your big fingers in the way.

Your NOT the first one to try improved boolits in the 25 ACP, no siree................

Boolit Master
    richbug- You have me thinking. I don't think they were blems and think the box did say XTP, but the older I get the less I remember. I'm pretty sure I still have the box with a few bullets. I'll check when I get off work.

Boolit Buddy
    FWIW
    RD years ago Winchester had a load in the 25 called the pellet nose. Had a steel shot piece in a hollow point bullet. I never shot them but I did duplicate the idea in a 45acp with Remington 185's and it is impressive. Might try it with the Gold Dots. And good luck with the boolits, they look good.

Boolit Master

That brings up a memory; A bunch of guys were sitting around the camp fire discussing their self-defense weapons and a some-what noobe interjects; "I have a .25 automatic." A retired SF fellow sitting there that doesn't talk much about anything simply said; "If you ever shot me with that thing and I found out about it, I'd have to hurt you real badly." There was silence for about 5 seconds while we all digested the thought, then there was a roar of laughter.
    EW

Boolit Grand Master
    I still don't--and won't--reload the 25 ACP. I have no arms in that caliber. I well remember the mirth and ribaldry that ensued when I mentioned here a couple years back about buying a die set in the caliber, though. The peanut gallery was in full cry, to include a certain site owner of my acquaintance. I glad to see that many have matured beyond such juvenile drollery.

That's an interesting nose form, RD. I've talked a bit with Starmetal over the years concerning similar work on the 32 ACP, 30 Luger, and 30 Mauser/7.62 x 25 Tokarev.

I had a similar experience with XTP bullets on duty. A drug dealer received his severance allowance one day in the form of base metals at high speed, with permanent results. When the coroner arrived and we started rolling the body over, a 32 caliber XTP bullet fell out of the guy's unbuttoned shirt. Other than rifling striations, it looked like it could be re-seated and fired again. It was a cannelured 85 grain XTP all right, identical to a couple hundred I had on the loading bench at home. And, the shooter got arrested a bit later with an H&R 32 Magnum in reach. I love stories with happy endings--one dope slinger in the dirt, another in the joint.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Slightly OT but relating to 25acp!
    Back in the old days when we had handguns in the UK a friend of mine used to reload 25acp for his then wife. I think it was a little Beretta semi.
    She came to the club one evening wearing a knee length skirt.
    She was a very trim and a very pretty woman.
    I asked her why the skirt and not the usual jeans.
    She reached down and pulled one side of her skirt up revealing stockings and the 25 acp tucked into the top of one!
    She let me shoot it and it was still warm!
    Mmmmmmmm!
    Always think of her when 25acp is talked about.
    Regards,
    Tony

Boolit Buddy
    Ranch Dog,
    I enjoy my RD 30-165 mould and to say "thanks", I will simply ask you to not use your .25 for self defense until it grows up into a .25-06.
    The idea of improving the performance of the 9mm on down is noble but pointless since API rounds are not looked upon with favor by juries even though they would absolutely ruin a gangbanger's day.

Paul

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    Hmmmm...

Two bad guys dead with bullets that failed shot from cartridges that are too small for "serious" work....

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

What does the 9mm boolit look like?
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by crabo View Post
    What does the 9mm boolit look like?
    Here you go!
    TL356-135-RF
    Michael

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    I still don't--and won't--reload the 25 ACP. I have no arms in that caliber. I well remember the mirth and ribaldry that ensued when I mentioned here a couple years back about buying a die set in the caliber, though. The peanut gallery was in full cry, to include a certain site owner of my acquaintance. I glad to see that many have matured beyond such juvenile.
    Yes, not much love here for the caliber. Really though, I don't care. I'm not looking for approval or opinions just showing guys what I'm working on. Heck, if I would have listened to all the advice on what a poor choice Micro Bands and tumbling lubing was I would be back shooting jacketed bullets!
    Michael

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast