Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ball/Spherical Hand gun powder

Boolit Master

Ball/Spherical Hand gun powder

I am running out of hard metering 700X that I have been using for my cast loads in handguns.
    It works fine but metering it sucks.
    I have been able to get fairly consistent loads in my Lil Dandy but am looking for a spherical powder that meter better.
    I will be using it for 9MM, 40 S&W, 45ACP, 38 Spec, light 44 Mag, etc.
    What are you using?
    Hodgdon CFE Pistol is catching my eye....dale

Super Moderator

I use a lot of W231 across the board, but a couple of other spherical pistol powders I use a lot are Accurate #5 and #7, and Titegroup. I have not tried CFE Pistol yet. I use a RCBS Uniflow measure, and have no problems accurately measuring flake type powders with it.

I use a lot of Red Dot in those calibers, as well as WW231. Red Dot is not a spherical powder, but it meters well.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Buddy
    My vote goes to Titegroup.

Banned
    That's quite a spread of calibers you want to load for.

WW231 [HP-38] would be my choice but if you're willing to keep more than one type of powder on hand, you can do a lot better.

I used CFE Pistol during the powder shortage and it's a decent handgun powder but I didn't see enough reason to hang with it when other options returned.

WSF is a great powder for 9mm but a horrible powder for 38 Special.
    Bullseye is a great powder for 38 Special and 45 ACP but not the best choice for that big 44 case, even with light loads.
    231 is about as close as you're going to get for a universal powder for all of those cartridges. It was my "go to" handgun powder for years and will work for most applications and it meters well.
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 01-05-2020 at 06:57 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    231 has served me well for a long time. I've used it for all of these except the .40 cal. May be some better choices out there, but, at 71, I don't know that I'll use up what I currently have.

CFE Pistol, Titegroup, WST, Bullseye, AA5 all work well for the handgun cartridges you mention.
    I have been working with CFE Pistol a lot and have found it to provide a little bit of extra velocity in non magnum cartridges.
    There are some other powders available that work well for higher end loads but not so much if you want light loads.

Winchester 231 and AA5 work very well for me in the auto's you listed. My go to powder for the 380 is CFE pistol.

Boolit Master

Cfe pistol is great for squeezing a bit more velocity without over pressure. My favorite for 380 and 45acp full power loads. 231 seems happier for lighter loads. But then I still favor red dot for cheap, light 45 loads, even if it is a pain to meter.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Moderator Emeritus

Power Pistol will do the auto loaders as well as 44 special. I think there are some listed loads for 38 and you can load the special loads in 44 mag brass.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

I like Universal Clays, and AA#5 for most pistols. W231, Bullseye, RedDot, and TiteGroup have all worked well, but Universal Clays and AA#5 have the best all around capabilities for me.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Power Pistol will do the auto loaders as well as 44 special. I think there are some listed loads for 38 and you can load the special loads in 44 mag brass.
    This right here^^^^^

I only load handgun 9mm, .45ACP, and .38Spec.
    I've always had good results with Unique.

If I've had any problems metering, I'm not smart enough to notice.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 01-06-2020 at 03:37 AM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    #5 and titegroup works well.

Banned
    The OP set the bar pretty high; he wants ONE powder for at least 5 different cartridges.

AND, in addition to that "universal" requirement, he also needs it to meter well.

There are a few powders that will work for all of those applications but you're going to end up with some compromises at the extreme ends of that spectrum. The 9mm has small case volume and operates at high pressures, the 45ACP has more case capacity but is a low pressure cartridge. The 44 Mag can be made to work with light loads but it has a huge case capacity. The 38 Special is fairly forgiving but it sits in the middle of that bunch.

WW231 comes the closest to fulfilling the dual goals of working with all of those cartridges and metering well.
    AA#2 will work for some of the cartridges but it might not be suitable in light loads for 44 mag.
    AA#5 is too slow for some of those smaller casings.

That list would be a LOT easier to fill if the OP could tolerate more than one powder on his shelf.

Boolit Buddy
    I use Titegroup for all the calibers you mention. Use it also for light .357, .41 and .44 magnums. Meters very well in a Dillion 550 press, just be very careful of double or even triple charges in your cases.

Boolit Master

Cfe does what you ask as per calibers you are loading I bought a few jugs for 45gap as it was higher velocity lower pressure . Hodgdons site has data for all the calibers you listed I believe and as a powder that should fit the requirements I would say use it . I used 700x during the shortage and had no problems metering it consistently doing the same loads over and over . I picked up some new be86 and some other powders to use also , and tonight was using the etr7 in 40 s&w , if you were up this way I would donate some of the cfe to try , On another note I am starting to buy more of the shooters world powder as it has some of the applications I am looking for

I’m currently using up the last 3# of titegroup that I have. I scored an 8# jug of W231 to compliment the 4# jug I had stashed. Both work well for 9mm, 38spl, and 45acp. I prefer W231 for its consistent SD and ES, as well as how clean it burns with my boolit loads. Titegroup has worked well, but W231 is just a tad better. I don’t use it in my 44’s, but I hope that helps. There is also Unique which could work for pretty much all of those listed, but it’s not a ball/spherical powder.

Boolit Master
    44 Mag loves HS6

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Mold
    Take a look at BE-86. That stuff is magic!

ETA:
    Although it's not a spherical powder, it meters just fine through my Uniflo and my Dillon 650. I think you can load about all handgun calibers with this powder. I've loaded 38spl, 9mm, 357 and 45. I haven't used it for 44, but there are plenty of loads for it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast