RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxLoad Data
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Feb 18 Handloader Magazine has an article on PC cast bullets

Boolit Master

Feb 18 Handloader Magazine has an article on PC cast bullets

Came in the mail today. A decent article from John Havilland about the basics of PCing a cast bullet. It looks like he data trolled this subsection and then proceeded to make some PC pistol (38 & 45 caliber) and rifle (7mm and 308) bullets up to test. Slightly disappointed that he didn't test the rifle bullets at higher than standard-lube velocities (max velocity he used was a 7mm bullet at 1750fps) and I've shot higher velocities without leading with my Carnuba Red Lubes.

I'm interested in PC coating rifle bullets for up to 23-2400fps for use in 200-300 yard NRA Rifle matches so hopefully, I will find that information out shortly this spring at my new gunclub with its longer ranges.

But I digress, Good article! Now I better go buy some HF Red powder paint before it all sells out...

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master

well, I ordered a pound of powder today. Lets see how it goes when it comes in. I'm thinking of PC some 9mm and some 30 caliber bullets for the tests.

Time to go find an old toaster oven out at Goodwill for the initial test runs.

Boolit Bub
    Hit up Wal-Mart. New toaster for $20.

Quote Originally Posted by bruce drake View Post
    well, I ordered a pound of powder today. Lets see how it goes when it comes in. I'm thinking of PC some 9mm and some 30 caliber bullets for the tests.

Time to go find an old toaster oven out at Goodwill for the initial test runs.

Give yourself at least 1/2 a chance using a 'toaster oven' and use one of these glass thermometers...otherwise your oven temperature is going to be all over the map. Toaster and Convection ovens will go off in left field fast...Watch yours closely until you get a feel for how it's thermostat works. Some have been set at 400*F. and have seen the thermostat cut out at 500~550*F. ... I think you are much better off buying at least a new & cheap convection oven for 30~$40 bucks...When my cheapo-convection gives up the ghost, I'll replace it with a $100 quality digital that I can depend on. Once you work out all your details about powder coating, you may never go back to lube-sizing unless it's for special applications on calibders you'd rather have that way.
    You have to stay on top of those cheap toaster ovens or you'll be posting...
    "What did I do wrong" instead of "Hey...check these out!"
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Forget the toaster oven. Get a decent hot plate (~1200 W), cheap flat ceramic tile and small sheet of steel plate covered with NSAF or parchment paper. Easy to stand up, no domino effect and NO PID (temp control ) needed. Even works in the garage @ <40F. You need the steel plate/tray if you want to WD or change trays. I can get 80 or so on the tile (which evens the heat). Oven is on the garage shelf gathering dust. I did hook up the PID to check temp, now I just set the dial to high and walk away, come back in 10- 60 (for WD) minutes when done. Haven't slumped any yet.
    Attachment 210979
    Whatever!

Thanks popper; I got all that stuff. I'll give it a try. Gp`

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Forget the toaster oven. Get a decent hot plate (~1200 W), cheap flat ceramic tile and small sheet of steel plate covered with NSAF or parchment paper. Easy to stand up, no domino effect and NO PID (temp control ) needed. Even works in the garage @ <40F. You need the steel plate/tray if you want to WD or change trays. I can get 80 or so on the tile (which evens the heat). Oven is on the garage shelf gathering dust. I did hook up the PID to check temp, now I just set the dial to high and walk away, come back in 10- 60 (for WD) minutes when done. Haven't slumped any yet.
    Attachment 210979
    What are you maintaining the temp with on that? I usually leave a few ingots on my hotplate when I'm casting and I've had them liquefy on me.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

The tile appears to prevent hot spots on this one. I hooked the PID up just to monitor, even in the summer it works fine. It's a coil in plate one, went to 600F on the plate, Hi setting. Added the tile and ~ 500F was max. I had the probe in a large nut on top of the tile, so metal temp. Thought of putting the probe in a small ingot of lead but never did. In the summer, 10 min. from cold gets the flow phase of the PC. Last week < 40F and took ~ 15 min. Pic doesn't show the NSAF covered (3/16" thick) steel plate I'm using for W.D. Did > 400 rifle last week before the in-laws & GKs came so I need to change the foil. Foil was a used piece. Pic was AC so I didn't use the foil, just cook & AC.
    So basically, just the hot plate control. Your mileage may vary. Just simple and fast for me, easy peasy. & I have done HiTek with the same rig.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Cool thanks for the follow up and more info. I've got some extra tiles left over from the renovations I'll slap one on my hotplate and give this a try.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Buddy
    Bruce, save yourself future misery and buy a pound of good powder like one from site vendor “Smoke”. It will make your learning curve a lot faster. Been there done that!

If anyone doesn't subscribe to the magazine you can see the article here in there sample issue https://www.riflemagazine.com/magazi...12Partial2.pdf you can also download the PDF version of the article to your computer as well.

Quote Originally Posted by res45 View Post
    If anyone doesn't subscribe to the magazine you can see the article here in there sample issue https://www.riflemagazine.com/magazi...12Partial2.pdf you can also download the PDF version of the article to your computer as well.
    Thanks for the link....Of all the powders in the world he could have featured, he picks 'Harbor Freight'!
    I can hear the readers now mumbling to themselves..."It sure doesn't cover very well"!

Boolit Master

They sure chose a lousy example to photograph but at least the message is getting out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pc.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	211116
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bama View Post
    Bruce, save yourself future misery and buy a pound of good powder like one from site vendor “Smoke”. It will make your learning curve a lot faster. Been there done that!
    I've went with a gloss black and gloss white from Eastwood Paints. Their paints have also gotten good reviews and I was able to buy both those paints in 8oz bottles so I can have storage containers when I need to restock my powders and I buy them a pound at a time.

I got a nearly new Krup Convection toaster oven with a rack and a pan for $10 from the local Goodwill store. This model of oven is currently going for over $100 on Walmart.com, so I hope I've got a good bargain on it. I will pickup an oven thermoter to set in it tomorrow. My powders are due in tomorrow as well from Eastwood. so hopefully on Saturday I'll have my first batch cooked off.
    Last edited by bruce drake; 01-05-2018 at 11:15 AM.

With your attention to detail and the lucky break on the oven...I'd be willing to bet your first batch will come out great!

Boolit Buddy
    You are about to be hooked. Keep good notes, you should be up to speed shortly--Welcome to the adventure!

Boolit Bub
    I just received some high gloss black from Eastwood. Didn't do too well in the shake and bake method (no BBs added), yet the gray I purchased at the same time was a lot better. Using the ES method, the gray went on slick compared to HF red. Interested in how your black turns out.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bama View Post
    I agree if I can do it anyone can
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by #40Fan View Post
    I just received some high gloss black from Eastwood. Didn't do too well in the shake and bake method (no BBs added), yet the gray I purchased at the same time was a lot better. Using the ES method, the gray went on slick compared to HF red. Interested in how your black turns out.
    Were you doing the shake and bake with plastic bbs like many others do? I intend to run with the airsoft pellets and a cool whip #5 canister to start since that has been a proven method already.

Boolit Grand Master
    Yep you bet get it all from Smoke
    one other tip to precharge you shake by shaking it without
    bullets in the charge it up works good
    its addicting be careful
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast