Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load Data
Wideners Repackbox
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Taming the Bugger 9mm

Boolit Buddy

Taming the Bugger 9mm

For the last 15 years, I’ve had great success casting for my G35 and shooting COWW with 20% lino. I lubed them with the Star luber and life was good. I tried and repeatedly failed doing the same for my wife’s G17. I’ve read and understand 9mm can be a bugger and have gotten to the point of crying uncle.

I’m ready to scrap everything I do for 9mm and simply copy/steal from your success. So, I’m asking for your secret, from alloy, mold, lube, powder, load, everything. I figure this will be a quicker end to the madness of trying more of the same, expecting different results.

Thanks in advance.

Boolit Bub
    Maybe I just got lucky, but, I've ran around 1,000 powder coated Lee 120 grain TC out of a 6 cavity mold and coated with smokes Carolina blue and sized to .356 without a single hiccup. Shooting them out of a Glock 45 9mm.

My lead has been a hodgepodge of scrap lead, probably running on the soft side, I do water drop out of the mold and again after coating. I'm very new to casting, but what I'm doing seems to be working for my needs.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    What are you loads doing in the 17 ?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by geslayton View Post
    Maybe I just got lucky, but, I've ran around 1,000 powder coated Lee 120 grain TC out of a 6 cavity mold and coated with smokes Carolina blue and sized to .356 without a single hiccup. Shooting them out of a Glock 45 9mm.

My lead has been a hodgepodge of scrap lead, probably running on the soft side, I do water drop out of the mold and again after coating. I'm very new to casting, but what I'm doing seems to be working for my needs.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
    It is the same Lee mold I had trouble with. My lead is harder and that may be a good part of the problem. Good luck on your journey.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    What are you loads doing in the 17 ?
    Leading the barrel with just a few shots.

Bullets are Sized with .357 die and measure .358. Pulled bullets still measure .3575/.358. They fit tight in the throat. My lead is COWW with 20% Linotype, so BHN measured about 12. I have a bunch of stick-on wheel weights, so that will be a lot softer and will be my next experiment.

Boolit Master
    Have you read two sticky posts in the Wheelguns, Pistols and Handcannons subforum - one on Glocks and cast boolits, and the other on Setting up for cast in a new 9mm? There's a lot of information in both threads that might prove useful.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by RydForLyf View Post
    For the last 15 years, I’ve had great success casting for my G35 and shooting COWW with 20% lino. I lubed them with the Star luber and life was good. I tried and repeatedly failed doing the same for my wife’s G17. I’ve read and understand 9mm can be a bugger and have gotten to the point of crying uncle.

I’m ready to scrap everything I do for 9mm and simply copy/steal from your success. So, I’m asking for your secret, from alloy, mold, lube, powder, load, everything. I figure this will be a quicker end to the madness of trying more of the same, expecting different results.

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    Have you read two sticky posts in the Wheelguns, Pistols and Handcannons subforum - one on Glocks and cast boolits, and the other on Setting up for cast in a new 9mm? There's a lot of information in both threads that might prove useful.
    No I haven’t. Thanks!

Boolit Buddy
    The fastest powders can be a headache. Unique/BE-86ish can help.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by crackers View Post
    The fastest powders can be a headache. Unique/BE-86ish can help.
    Right now it’s 3.5 Clays. I’ll try slower.

Thanks

Boolit Master
    Thats some pretty hard lead you got there. Its my thought you don't need lead that hard. I get by with ww water dropped sized 358 with Lyman Orange Magic on top of 2.8 grains of Red Dot. This with the Elco boolit from NOE.

Boolit Master
    I run a 130 gr fp nlg at around 14 BHN and Hi-Tek coated, my barrel slugs at .357" so I am loading .359" bullets and shooting them out of a Walther PPQ SF , I have been using 700 X and Sport Pistol both powders are loaded to around 1025 fps, I have not had any leading with this combo.

I know the Walther polygonal rifling is different than the Glock which is not a true polygonal.

Boolit Grand Master

Boolit : NOE 358-124-TC-GC , sized .357, Lithi-Bee lubricant , alloy 50-50 COWW / soft scrap lead .
    The gas check is the secrete . Mainly it Helps when seating the boolit but also helps with leading at velocities @ 1000 fps with softish alloy . The soft boolit will mushroom on impact .

Powder Charge :
    5.0 grains Unique @ 1125 fps - my pet load
    5.0 grains HP38 @1135 fps
    4.2 grains Red Dot @ 1083
    4.2 grains Bullseye @ 1067

Standard taper crimp , seat boolit to pass plunk test .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

I'm pretty much using two boolits. A Saeco 115 and a MP 359-125 RNFP. Both are sized to .357 and coated with Hi-Tek.

Between my buddy and I we go through around 500-800 of these a week. We're using a variety of 9mm firearms.

Canik TP9SFX
    RIA 1911
    PSA AR Pistol
    a couple different Glocks
    Sig P365
    S&W 5906
    Ruger PCC

That's off the top of my head.

We're loading both boolits with 4 gr of WST right now. We're not having any leading problems at all.
    NRA Benefactor.

I do fine in all my 9mm with range scrap & 10% lino with conventional lubes, sized 0.357" in any 9mm. With PC I can go range scrap & 0.356" water dropped out of the PC oven. YMMV.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks to everyone for your info. I’ll do more testing this weekend but if anyone is interested in selling 50-100 of your ready to load bullets, I’d gladly reimburse you so I can try what you’re having success with.

Thanks!

Boolit Master
    The buddy's i shoot with that shoot Glocks buy .356 Hi-tek coated I have a couple of guns with the same style rifling as Glocks in 9 and 45 and shoot Hi-tek none of us get any leading . PC or Hi-tek seem to be much more forgiving than traditionally lubed bullets in many guns . I think I may try to PC my own cast if I ever get my building in back done.
    Maybe someone here that does not use PC bullets in their Glocks will have an answer for you.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    The buddy's i shoot with that shoot Glocks buy .356 Hi-tek coated I have a couple of guns with the same style rifling as Glocks in 9 and 45 and shoot Hi-tek none of us get any leading . PC or Hi-tek seem to be much more forgiving than traditionally lubed bullets in many guns . I think I may try to PC my own cast if I ever get my building in back done.
    Maybe someone here that does not use PC bullets in their Glocks will have an answer for you.
    I’ve got 500 (5 x 100) hi-tek coated bullets, in different weights, arriving tomorrow from Bayou Bullets. Hopefully I’ll learn something good from them.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RydForLyf View Post
    I’ve got 500 (5 x 100) hi-tek coated bullets, in different weights, arriving tomorrow from Bayou Bullets. Hopefully I’ll learn something good from them.
    Good luck with them .
    On the home page of SNS casting he talks a little about fast burning powders and Hi-tek .
    In mine I use both red dot and be86 the guys I shoot with only BE-86 .But I have used a variety of powders that worked .

Boolit Master
    Accurate and MP 147 bevel based cast of 95-3-2, two coats of HiTek, both with and without lube groove, loaded over 3.2 to 3.4 VV N320 to ~1.125", SPP. The rounds average 900 fps, and have never leaded my G34 factory barrels in the ~20,000 rounds I've fired.

My mold is the Lee 125RF.
    I'm using straight air cooled clip on WW at 15-16 BHN.
    50/50 Alox/Beeswax and then 10% parafin wax and sized .358 and Bullseye powder.
    But I think the best thing that makes 9mm easy is plain base gas checks. I had fits with a couple 9mms until these. Now we're using cast in about 10 different brands with no problems whatsoever. I think Sage Reloading sells them.

Nope I was wrong. Its Sages Outdoors
    Last edited by reloader28; 02-18-2020 at 10:59 AM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast