Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Jeep is rattling itself to death.

Boolit Master
    My experience is with an old '79 CJ-7. Yep, 258-6 and leaf springs. I put a new glass body on it, all new bushings stock Monroe shocks, steering stabilizer, one piece rear axles, the whole nine yards. I ran 30"-9.50's on it and the best thing I did for ride quality was buy aluminum wheels. Lowering unsprung weight helped the ride. Helped....I also ran Chevy PU bucket seats and the damned thing still about beat me to death on the run to the UP and back.
    Washboard roads are a challenge even in long wheelbase full sized pu's with weight in them. Slowing down is the best answer.

Moderator Emeritus

They are doing road construction on the road in front of my house. So right now it is washboard gravel. At 30mph my F-150 was side hopping... back of the truck wanted to pass the front! Have to do 20mph!

Banned

funny, ive drove them for 40 years and never thought they made me look young. Matter of fact about 90 percent of them are sold to the 20 some crowd. What I find is the ones our age that have them have them because they actually go in the woods, shoot guns and kill things to eat. People that for the most part don't get to conserned about a caddy like ride, or prius like gas mileage, or porche power. we know that there are compromises. But nothing else made is better at driving 50 miles down the interstate, another 20 on rural roads to get to camp and when you get there you can go about anywhere an atv goes. Try that in your prius or f150. Its almost like a side by side that you can use as a second vehicle for the family and it is just as good at running for grocerys as it is climbing in the mountains.

They do hold there value though. Probably better then about any other vehicle. Why? Because you don't see 10 used ones on the dealers lot. Not to many tire of them and buy a prius to replace it. Most that are sold are sold privately and the dealer never gets a crack at them and if they are trade there traded for another jeep and those dealers have lists of people who are looking for used ones. Last one I had before this jk was 2000 tj. I paid 6 k for it in 2012. It was a stripped 4 cyl unit. I drove it till 17 put 40k on it and could have got my 6k back in a second but decided to give it to the granddaughter. I bought this 15 used with 10k on it for 22k in spring of 17. It now his 40k on it and last time I was in for service the dealer offered me what I paid for it. He said hed give it to me in cash and let me have him and the other jeep dealer in the area compete to sell me a new one. Sticker on that one new (its a willys addition) was just over 30k. It was bought mid summer of 14. Now tell me how many vehicles of any kind (other then Harleys years ago) could you buy for 30k drive for 5 years and loose only 8 grand. Give you an example the other way. I bought my 17 Silverado and it was giving me problems. Told the wife I might just go trade it on an 18. It was just about one year old to the day I bought in. It had 11k on it and was mint. I payed 46k for it and the dealers best offer was 32 on a trade. Said he had a parking lot full of used trucks. He really didn't even want it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    I ran into the same thing on one of the forums. Jeep owners can be quite tribal and snooty.

The 9000xl is an adjustable shock and most have theirs set to the lowest setting, which means it is basically a 5000 series shock. Softer the better for a Jeep. Lower the tire pressure to mid-20's, don't run an E-rated tire with stiff sidewalls, should be better.

The good thing is that Jeeps retain their value, at least around here, so once you find out just how awful they are as daily drivers, you can pawn them off on the next sucker trying to regain their youthfulness through a vehicle purchase.
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 07-18-2019 at 06:57 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    What I find is the ones our age that have them have them because they actually go in the woods, shoot guns and kill things to eat. People that for the most part don't get to conserned about a caddy like ride, or prius like gas mileage, or porche power. we know that there are compromises. But nothing else made is better at driving 50 miles down the interstate, another 20 on rural roads to get to camp and when you get there you can go about anywhere an atv goes. Try that in your prius or f150. Its almost like a side by side that you can use as a second vehicle for the family and it is just as good at running for grocerys as it is climbing in the mountains.
    It really depends on where you live.

In my region, most roads that are open in the mountains can be navigated with my 2005 Yukon. The majority of roads in the woods are gated off by either the Forest Service or the timber companies. They leave an opening at the gate 50" wide to allow ATVs to get around them for access. Hence, anything wider than 50" is heavily restricted.

That's why a few ATV makers have come out with 50" wide side by sides.

I had an `89 Jeep YJ a couple of years ago and when heading into the woods, discovered that I couldn't go where I wanted to go and that I would be better off with a 50" side by side. So, I bought a new 2018 Honda Pioneer 500 for $10k. Sold the Jeep for $50 more than I paid for it a year earlier.

I see a bunch of people driving the bigger side by sides and I wonder what they are thinking. So far this year running deep into the mountains, I've encountered two other side by sides on the trails and both were the Polaris 570 Razors, which are 50" machines.

All the other giant side by sides are seen on the gravel and dirt roads as I pass them by in my Yukon towing the Pioneer to the trailhead, only they are covered in dirt and hot and sweaty, lol.

I agree that a well-equipped Jeep makes a lot of sense for back country exploring in other areas, but out here, there are few roads where you can actually use their capability.

My Pioneer at an old lookout site where no Jeep or bigger side by side can get to...

Attachment 245386
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Grand Master
    I sold my Polaris Ranger and RZR to buy the Jeep. I can go just about anywhere in the Jeep that I travelled with the SxS's plus I have A/C, heat, wipers and a cab. Nice to run a few trails and go into town for a meal or shop on a whim without having to go home to change vehicle.

Love the thing...except for the ride on washboard roads.

I am going to lower the air pressure to 30 PSI and see how it goes. I have Yokohama Geolander tires on it.
    Don Verna

Banned
    As has been pointed out, all Jeeps are not created equal.
    There's a huge difference between a CJ, YJ, TJ & JK.

The YJ's were the last of the leaf spring models and the TJ's were the last of the 4.0 liter straight six.

he can fix it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Banned

Sold the razor still have the jeep and then grizzly if that tells you anything. Now silly rules like that up here so if it will fit road or no road, trail or no trail, I can take my jeep. If im at camp and have to get into something tighter the grizzlys left there. Couldn't see 15k for a side by side that the only advantage over the griz was my wife or dog could come along on the two or three times a year I cant get my jeep into where I want to go. Had the razor for two years and put less then a 1000 miles on it. Mostly taking the dog to the beach and I could have done that easily in the jeep. The jeep has a huge advantage in that it is my day to day transportation. I can drive to camp and then go in the woods. I can pick up grocerys or drive to texas if I want. Side by side cant go anywhere a 4 wheeler cant go. As a matter of fact not even as many places as a 4 wheeler will go. My brother in law showed up to camp last year with a new honda 4 seat sidexside. He parked it next to my 2 door jk and difference were measured in inches. he had to buy a BIG trailer just to haul it to camp. Just don't see the sense in something like that. I drove mine there with the radio playing and the ac on right down the highway. Maybe a 50 inch side by side but anymore there pretty rare.
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I sold my Polaris Ranger and RZR to buy the Jeep. I can go just about anywhere in the Jeep that I travelled with the SxS's plus I have A/C, heat, wipers and a cab. Nice to run a few trails and go into town for a meal or shop on a whim without having to go home to change vehicle.

Love the thing...except for the ride on washboard roads.

I am going to lower the air pressure to 30 PSI and see how it goes. I have Yokohama Geolander tires on it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Took air pressure down to 30 psi. The last time I took it in for service they pumped them up to 45 PSI (morons) and I never checked them!!! No wonder it drove rough! It helped alot, but now the TPMS idiot light is on...no biggy.

Thinking about new shocks.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Had an idiot at a lube shop put 32 psi in my car tires. He told me that the tire pressure placard in the door frame only applied to the original tires and replacement tires had to be inflated to the maximum pressure shown on the sidewalls. They’re everywhere.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    Had an idiot at a lube shop put 32 psi in my car tires. He told me that the tire pressure placard in the door frame only applied to the original tires and replacement tires had to be inflated to the maximum pressure shown on the sidewalls. They’re everywhere.
    I used to commute 150 miles a day to work in Arizona in everything from a new Ford Fusion to a Harley Road King. With the cars, I always ran max air pressure and it resulted in a couple of miles per gallon increase.

Every time I took it to the dealer for an oil change and service, I had to increase the tire pressure when I got home.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Banned

try 20psi. My buddy has ran a set of bfg ats on his tj for 50k and they were never up over 20 and wore just fine. Kind of odd. Jeep gives you a way to defeat the seat belt chime because they know some don't wear them in the woods but they don't give a way to defeat the tire pressure alarms when they know many air down when they go off road.
    Took air pressure down to 30 psi. The last time I took it in for service they pumped them up to 45 PSI (morons) and I never checked them!!! No wonder it drove rough! It helped alot, but now the TPMS idiot light is on...no biggy.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have been wondering why Jeep has a 35 psi specification. It is not like they will ever carry any significant load. Gas mileage is of little consequence with the mileage I put on and type of driving I do with it. If it drops from 19 to 17 mpg I will pay $125-150 a year more for fuel. Tire wear might be a factor depending on the tire used but cannot determine without trying it. It gets some highway use so safety is a concern, but I do not cruise it at 80 mph either.

BTW, had another roof bolt drop out yesterday. That makes two bolts and one of large 'T" bolts for the top that have backed out in the last few months.

I will drop tire pressure to 25 psi and see how it does.
    Last edited by dverna; 07-20-2019 at 08:22 AM.
    Don Verna

Boolit Mold
    Slip that Jeep into 4 wheel drive on washboard roads. You will be surprised how much it helps.

Boolit Master

The dealer or a good mechanic can plug into your computer and change the parameters so that light will go out yet still function.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Banned
    Tire pressure is more about the tires than the vehicle the tires are on.

I'm a fan of inflating the tires as much as possible (within the allowed limits) until the contact patch starts to get smaller. That point is almost always higher than the rating posted on the vehicle.

The goal is to get the least amount of rolling resistance and stiffest sidewall, while maintaining the largest possible contact patch on the ground. Using chalk or a slowly driving through water to check the contact patch helps you see when you're getting close to the ideal pressure.

Operating in deep sand is the exception but other than that, I generally run them well above the vehicle manufacturers limit and below the tire's max pressure rating.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    Tire pressure is more about the tires than the vehicle the tires are on.

I'm a fan of inflating the tires as much as possible (within the allowed limits) until the contact patch starts to get smaller. That point is almost always higher than the rating posted on the vehicle.

The goal is to get the least amount of rolling resistance and stiffest sidewall, while maintaining the largest possible contact patch on the ground. Using chalk or a slowly driving through water to check the contact patch helps you see when you're getting close to the ideal pressure.

Operating in deep sand is the exception but other than that, I generally run them well above the vehicle manufacturers limit and below the tire's max pressure rating.
    Let me guess....you have never operated a Jeep on bad roads....
    Don Verna

Banned
    Let me guess....you have never operated a Jeep on bad roads....
    I have operated many vehicles off road, including Jeeps.

I'm not interested in ride quality, I'm interested in the tire staying on the wheel. That doesn't preclude airing down the tires when the conditions require.

Boolit Grand Master

Less tire psi, softer shocks and use 4 wheel drive.....and go slow...

On my 4th jeep (05 Wrangler) with coil springs. Other 3 had leaf springs. Also driven many M151s gun jeeps with coil springs in Army scout sections.

And...keep Preparation H handy...
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Access to my house is by a mile of a logging road. The quality often changes, but is never good. I’m not currently driving anything 4X4 at this time. However, 4X4 or 4X2, tires make a big difference, especially with side slip. Make sure to have tires designed for at least partial off road use. They make more noise on paved roads and wear out faster, but for me they’ve always been worth it, even for two wheel drives. Helps in the mud and snow too.

Ever notice how a bad road feels smoother going down grade versus up?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast