Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No need for boolit lubes with easy powder coating available ??

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    If you ordered the Magma (Star) and you lube in large batches, you will be very satisfied. I also have a couple of Lyman 450's I purchased for smaller runs and/or different lubes but have never used them. I was going to use them for .308 and .224 bullets but those projects are either dead or back burnered. I currently have over 30k lubed bullets in inventory in three bullets: 122 gr 356, 130 gr 358, 200 gr 452. My cast bullets are used for pistol and pistol caliber carbines. I doubt many members here are only shooting a handful of bullet types. Their needs are different.

For the person who uses multiple bullets/calibers/lubes in small batches, a Star is not optimum IMHO. There is niche for every method depending on individual needs and circumstances. No one "right' way. For example, when my current inventory of bullets is consumed, I plan to cast bullets that require no sizing and use BLL. For plinking ammo at 800-1200 FPS, that may be all I need; and will offer least effort and fastest way to produce bullets. Operating a Star for a couple of hours gets old too!!! LOL.

Good luck with your new sizer!!!
    I wanted to buy the Lyman 4500 with the built in heater, but it seems that it is not available. I back-ordered it, and after about 1 month I cancelled that back order, and bought the RCBS. I need to lube only about 1 thousand bullets per year. 2 thousand at the most.

If fast is what turns you on, it is a heck of a lot faster to go to the gun store and buy your bullets.

This sounds like a "My dogs' bigger than yours argument."

The best way is the way you enjoy doing it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    I wanted to buy the Lyman 4500 with the built in heater, but it seems that it is not available. I back-ordered it, and after about 1 month I cancelled that back order, and bought the RCBS. I need to lube only about 1 thousand bullets per year. 2 thousand at the most.
    You made a fine choice!!!
    Don Verna

My cast boolits drop from the mold on the large side. So when I size them, it makes sense to lube and be done.

Boolit Master
    You made a fine choice!!!
    Now, since the RCBS does not have the heater, can I just chunk up some SPG lube, stuff it into the reservoir and start lubing, or do I need some heat with the SPG lube to make it flow?

Boolit Master
    Try it and see what happens.For lube sizers I don't have a heater for I use a heat lamp to warm the sizer up.

Boolit Master

I dont use a heater in my Lyman 45. It takes a pretty stiff aka high paraffin wax lube before you need a heater.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjake View Post
    Is there anyone that thinks this? Is there an application of lube on a lead bullet that I or anyone else should be using?
    I think the posts following your OP give the impression that different technologies suit different applications and different folks.

Boolit Master

I like my reloading like my women....fast and easy, LOL.
    sealed in green boxes in groups of 50?

Progressive?

Filled with gunpowder and ready for a poke in the bottom?

Boolit Grand Master

Now, since the RCBS does not have the heater, can I just chunk up some SPG lube, stuff it into the reservoir and start lubing, or do I need some heat with the SPG lube to make it flow?
    Yes, if you size and lube the bullets with SPG bullets in a very cold room then maybe.....doubtful though.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

That's the way I usually do it.....

Boolit Master

If you have the material laying around, you can mount the RCBS on a plate of steel or aluminum. Roughly double the real-estate the RCBS takes up alone. Then use an old iron and place it on the plate. The incidental contact is more than enough to heat everything up and you even have good temp control via the iron dial.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
    If you have the material laying around, you can mount the RCBS on a plate of steel or aluminum. Roughly double the real-estate the RCBS takes up alone. Then use an old iron and place it on the plate. The incidental contact is more than enough to heat everything up and you even have good temp control via the iron dial.
    Most of my plate steel has already been made into targets, but I might still find some. I like that idea.

Banned
    If you ordered the Magma (Star) and you lube in large batches, you will be very satisfied. I also have a couple of Lyman 450's I purchased for smaller runs and/or different lubes but have never used them. I was going to use them for .308 and .224 bullets but those projects are either dead or back burnered. I currently have over 30k lubed bullets in inventory in three bullets: 122 gr 356, 130 gr 358, 200 gr 452. My cast bullets are used for pistol and pistol caliber carbines. I doubt many members here are only shooting a handful of bullet types. Their needs are different.

For the person who uses multiple bullets/calibers/lubes in small batches, a Star is not optimum IMHO. There is niche for every method depending on individual needs and circumstances. No one "right' way. For example, when my current inventory of bullets is consumed, I plan to cast bullets that require no sizing and use BLL. For plinking ammo at 800-1200 FPS, that may be all I need; and will offer least effort and fastest way to produce bullets. Operating a Star for a couple of hours gets old too!!! LOL.

Good luck with your new sizer!!!
    I also own a Star and a Magma bullet sizer lubricator. I use only lathesmith sizing dies with adjustable two piece punch for the Star sizer for 9mm, 38, 357 bullets. The Magma does 44 and 45 caliber bullets in a variety of weights. The one bullet feeder is shared between the two sizers. The sizing dies were custom made by lathesmith and do not have any extra holes to plug or unplug. They were carefully thought up to size and lube as many sizes as possible with nothing to configure except the punch height. The Magma uses several punches with lock nuts to control the height and the punch heights were carefully recorded in my setup book. a setup from 44 to 45 takes less than 5 minutes and is 100% accurate. I don't do large runs of 44 mag in 215 and 240 gr SWC bullets nor do I do large runs of 250gr SWC 45 cal bullets but using the sizer lubricator would still be faster than trying to powder coat them in my opinion.

I can size and lube far more bullets in 1 hr than I would suspect any of you can powder coat in the same amount of time. Powder coating just isn't as fast and time efficient for me. With my two sizer/lubricators in the process of going full automatic they will be even faster.

Boolit Master

Most of my plate steel has already been made into targets, but I might still find some. I like that idea.
    Works for my 45. I have to keep the temp midlin to low for the white label 2700+ lube.

Boolit Master
    Okay. I got the lubri-sizer. The SPG lube works just fine without any heat. Now all I gotta do is figure out why the lube gets all over the bullet. Doesn't seem to matter how I set the adjustments.

I messed with it some more this morning. I have determined that there simply is not enough adjustment in the depth stop to make the lube groove line up with the holes in the sizing die.
    Last edited by Froogal; 01-16-2020 at 12:13 PM.

Boolit Master
    82 year olde GONRA's well past my "use by date" so just sticks to wot has verked for decades!

Boolit Master

Okay. I got the lubri-sizer. The SPG lube works just fine without any heat. Now all I gotta do is figure out why the lube gets all over the bullet. Doesn't seem to matter how I set the adjustments.

I messed with it some more this morning. I have determined that there simply is not enough adjustment in the depth stop to make the lube groove line up with the holes in the sizing die.
    Once you get the stops adjusted. Pressure on the resetbiour then seat a bullet in the die. Release pressure on the reservoir the extract your bullet.

Will help minimize the lube mess on bullets

~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GONRA View Post
    82 year olde GONRA's well past my "use by date" so just sticks to wot has verked for decades!
    Use by date? Or more like an aged whiskey?

~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

6bg6ba: How do 2 different Magma/Star sizers share a bullet feeder? Sorry, can't picture it, and I have 2 Stars with bullet feeders.
    Froogal: I assume you have sealed off the holes that don't need to be used with lead shot.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast