Snyders JerkyLoad DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6 cav. 9mm mold choice

6 cav. 9mm mold choice

In a few days I'll be 79. I'm in good health, but I'm beginning to have some arthritic symptoms (hands) & I'm recovering from tendonitis (R. hand). Casting with my Lyman & SAECO 4 cav. molds isn't fun anymore (I tend to cast hard & heavy for 4 or 5 hours at a time).

The 5 & 6 cavity AL molds are easy for me to handle.

I want to get a new 9mm mold. These will be for practice only: I'll carry Speer 124 gr. Gold Dots.

I do not own a MP mold & hear good things about them. They only show 2 different 9mm 6 cav. aluminum molds: MP 359 140 PB & MP 359 147 BB. These are a little bit heavier than I'd like (I prefer 125-130 gr.), but the shape (especially the 140) looks just like the Speer 124gr. Gold Dot.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these?

The 147 is available now & I'd have to wait on the 140. They both have the Lee type sprue plate lever (which I like).

An alternative is the Arsenal 359-130RF. It looks just like the MP 359 140 PB. I have 4 other Arsenal molds & they're working just fine for me. Of course the Arsenal would be a 5 cav..

Any input is appreciated.

Henry
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A real sport involves either gasoline or gun powder.......all others are just games

Boolit Master

Either would be a most excellent mold. My guess is the MP mold will be easier for you to use
    At one with the gun.

I personally use the Lee 120TC, standard lube groove model. My Polymer80 loves it and I get a pile od boolits fast. I also love my Mihec 6-cavity, but it is a 32 SWC that my Tokarev likes.
    "It is wrong always, everywhere, and for everyone to believe anything on insufficient evidence."
    -W. K. Clifford "The Ethics of Belief"

"They hate you if you're clever, and they despise a fool."
    -John Lennon "A Working Class Hero"

Boolit Buddy
    Doesn't he make a 8 cav alu 9mm mould? With a mould like that the pile of boolits would build up quick!

Sent fra min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

+1 on the Lee 6 cavity 356-120-TC.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy_Dan View Post
    I personally use the Lee 120TC, standard lube groove model. My Polymer80 loves it and I get a pile od boolits fast. I also love my Mihec 6-cavity, but it is a 32 SWC that my Tokarev likes.
    A friend has the Lee 120TC also & likes it. I have an Arsenal 125TC (drops COWW @ 121 gr.). I just want to add another.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by hunter74 View Post
    Doesn't he make a 8 cav alu 9mm mould? With a mould like that the pile of boolits would build up quick!

Their web site does not show a 8 cavity. I've assumed that they only have what's listed on their site.

Henry

Boolit Buddy
    My german is not good but, what I get out of this is that this mould was made by MP moulds and offered through a group buy

Marcus usually makes an english version of his videos, but I can't find one for this video.

https://youtu.be/TlDtXHg_kBg

Quote Originally Posted by hunter74 View Post
    My german is not good but, what I get out of this is that this mould was made by MP moulds and offered through a group buy

Marcus usually makes an english version of his videos, but I can't find one for this video.

https://youtu.be/TlDtXHg_kBg

In spite of the language barrier, I'm impressed. Thanks for the heads-up.

Henry

As mentioned by others, the Lee 356-120-TC is an excellent 9mm boolit. They drop at about 124-5 for me using range scrap.
    My first choice is the NOE 358-135-FN. I use it in plain base and flat nose but it can be purchased with a hollow point configuration which drops the weight a bit.
    It is very accurate and feeds flawlessly in every 9mm I own(currently 8 handguns). I typically size it .358 and leave just a smidge(please forgive the technical jargon) of the front drive band showing when seated.
    When using range scrap, it typically drops at .358 and weighs 135-136 grains. You can't get much better than that.
    Often, I just tumble lube them with White Label Xlox, load, and shoot.
    My mold is a 5 cavity and rains boolits when in use.

Boolit Master

I have the Lee 120TC, it casts great boolits that feed very well. That said you cannot go wrong with any of Mihec's, NOE's or Accurate Molds molds, they all make great molds in lots of different cavities.

I've got one of the 8 cavity 9mm molds from Mihec. WOW does it make a pile of bullets fast. Also have 2 identical Lee 6 cavity's in the 120ish TC range. Can't go wrong either way. ( also have a couple of the arsenal mold's, well made, but just for rifle calibers.)
    Retired Redleg
    I came into this world kicking and screaming covered in someone else's blood, I don't mind going out the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Smk SHoe View Post
    I've got one of the 8 cavity 9mm molds from Mihec. WOW does it make a pile of bullets fast. Also have 2 identical Lee 6 cavity's in the 120ish TC range. Can't go wrong either way. ( also have a couple of the arsenal mold's, well made, but just for rifle calibers.)
    Which MP bullet is your 8 cavity?

My decision now is between the MP 140 gr. or the Arsenal 130 Gr. . The 130 grain is closer to the weight I want & can order it now & have it soon. The MP would be a waiting period (unknown duration), but I'd like the 6 cavity vs the 5 cavity + the Lee type sprue plate lever & I'd like to try an MP.

Decisions
    Last edited by oldhenry; 08-05-2018 at 09:19 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

I have the Lee 356-120-TC, my mold doesn't drop a boolit large enough for my guns...I like to size to .357
    So I bought the NOE 358-128 SWC
    http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...oducts_id=2221
    It's more of a TC than a SWC, but there is a tiny shoulder. My 5 cav mold casts like a dream.

sadly, NOE only has the two cav in stock right now
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I have the Lee 356-120-TC, my mold doesn't drop a boolit large enough for my guns...I like to size to .357
    So I bought the NOE 358-128 SWC
    http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...oducts_id=2221
    It's more of a TC than a SWC, but there is a tiny shoulder. My 5 cav mold casts like a dream.

sadly, NOE only has the two cav in stock right now
    A neat looking boolit. It looks like a smaller edition of the #068 (one of my favorites).

Quote Originally Posted by oldhenry View Post
    Which MP bullet is your 8 cavity?

My decision now is between the MP 140 gr. or the Arsenal 130 Gr. . The 130 grain is closer to the weight I want & can order it now & have it soon. The MP would be a waiting period (unknown duration), but I'd like the 6 cavity vs the 5 cavity + the Lee type sprue plate lever & I'd like to try an MP.

Decisions
    The one I have now is the TC. I had purchased the RN ( more of a TC with a rounded nose vs the straight edge) and just as soon as he shipped the RN he had a group buy for the TC. That was the one I wanted. When loaded it is hard to tell the difference between them and the Lee TC.
    Retired Redleg
    I came into this world kicking and screaming covered in someone else's blood, I don't mind going out the same way.

Boolit Master

I will say you should not overlook the 358 125 round nose flat point that Lee offers. I shoot them in a 9 mm high point carbine to good effect. the 356 dia boolits would sometimes keyhole. 6 cavity is the nuts for making lots of boolits. I do not presently have any other 38/9mm molds on hand.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master

I have been loading 2 types of bullets from 6 cav molds. The Lee 356-124-2R and Lee 356-120-TC. Of the 2, I prefer the TC.

Boolit Buddy
    There is a active group buy for this one.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...av-Solid-Brass

It is a lighter version of my favorite 9mm bullet (same profile shorter bearing surface) and is available with or without lube grooves. The 8 cavity is great but the Lee type sprue plate alone is worth the cost of admission (I hate smacking sprue plates with a mallet and will be getting rid of the rest of my molds that are missing the handle)

Boolit Master
    If you don't mind the six bullets being different sizes then the Lee would definitely be cheaper. Otherwise either of your original mold suggestions would be a better choice. Been there and done that so if you haven't guessed the only Lee mold I use now is for buckshot. Life is too short to go through it with a poor quality bullet mold.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast