Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2WidenersLoad DataRepackbox
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Need any 45 cal chamber reamer

Need any 45 cal chamber reamer

i'm working on my ruger vaquero and i'm fitting a new cylinder to the gun. the cylinder i got is 44mag cal and i will be reaming it to 45 colt. but i want a tight chamber so i was thinking about using a 460sw reamer and just control the depth. does any one have a 460sw or a 454 casull or even a 45 colt reamer that would let me barrow.
    It's not the size of your brass that matters, It's how you tumble it.

Banned

That's a stretch with a finishing reamer, but it will work if you're careful. Just get a Manson from Brownell's and be done with it. I think the .460 is an excellent choice as far as "correctly" sizing the chambers, expecially in that gun where you won't have to worry about a rim recess. If you were doing a rifle, you might have to get creative.

Gear

Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    That's a stretch with a finishing reamer, but it will work if you're careful. Just get a Manson from Brownell's and be done with it. I think the .460 is an excellent choice as far as "correctly" sizing the chambers, expecially in that gun where you won't have to worry about a rim recess. If you were doing a rifle, you might have to get creative.

Gear
    i'm going to be milling out the chambers first. i will measure each chambers location in reference to the bore then i will program the mill to cut the chambers to the correct location if thy are off. that way i can just use a finishing reamer to take it to size. so you think a 460s&w chamber would be better then a 454 casull? i cant seam to find a 460 S&W reamer to buy, but there are lots of 454 casull's.
    Last edited by JTknives; 06-16-2011 at 04:27 PM.

Im going back and forth between the 454 casull or 460 s&w chamber for my 45 colt. both are completely different from each other in the throat area and amount of taper. for some reason im leaning twords the 454 casull with the real short throat at 30deg. below are the chamber measurements of each chamber.

45 colt: http://www.saami.org/PubResources/CC.../45%20Colt.pdf
    454 casull: http://www.saami.org/PubResources/CC...4%20Casull.pdf
    460 S&W: http://www.saami.org/PubResources/CC...W%20Magnum.pdf

Banned

JT, it all depends on what you will be shooting in it. Personally, I don't like bore-riders in a revolver, I like the large, fat, ogival nose to poke out almost flush with the end of the cylinder and be supported by the chamber mouth. I don't like a huge freebore in a revolver, but I do like a long, tapered throat that can be stuffed with boolit, so it's supported better during firing and is as close as I can get it to the forcing cone. A short throat with a sharp angle is designed for SWC boolits or others with a sharp front band and a reduced-diameter, short nose, and the front band is supposed to be out of the case and just nearly touching the throat. I think that gives a pretty sorry start in life unless you have a really tight chamber to keep things lined up while under the force of gravity. That also is a recipe for the maximum jump to the forcing cone, which seems to promote skidding.

YMMV, you may have different experiences that give you different opinions on what works best in a revolver, in fact many approaches work when fitting boolits to revolvers, it's just a matter of which way you like best.

That's why I say the .460.

Gear

Boolit Master
    Reading can provide limited education because only shooting provides YOUR answers as you tie everything together for THAT gun. The better the gun, the less you have to know / do & the more flexibility you have to achieve success.

"The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine