Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Wideners
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee Precision

Thread: Bore dia gg boolits

Boolit Master

Bore dia gg boolits

Anyone shoot a bore dia gg bullet in 45-70 or something close? Thinking of trying a .450 bullet with the last .120 at .458 to seat well into the bore like the paper patch boys do. Should hold 82 grs +/- of 1 1/2 swiss in 45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    Is that what the paper patchers do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    ian, They are patching to snug bore dia with only about .100 in the case for long range comp.

Boolit Grand Master

While the PP shoot bore dia bullets the smooth sided bullet swells ( obtrates) evenly fitting itself to the bore. On grease grooved most of the swelling may take place in the grooves as its the path of least resistance. There are 2 dia bullets and tapered bullets that do allow for extended seating into the rifling. Alloy will make a big difference here also, most PP are 20-1 or 16-1 with little or no antimony. A harder grease grooved bullet may not swell as much either. I shoot PP bore riders and patch to .450 dia. This works and does shoot well. On your plan with the 2 dia bore size and groove dia the shrt large band may be enough

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by kokomokid View Post
    Anyone shoot a bore dia gg bullet in 45-70 or something close? Thinking of trying a .450 bullet with the last .120 at .458 to seat well into the bore like the paper patch boys do. Should hold 82 grs +/- of 1 1/2 swiss in 45-70.
    They work well. I have a mold in 40 cal. Just the base band is 0.409". The rest of the grease grooves are 0.400". It kinda makes a 40-50SS into a the powder capacity of the 40-70 SS. In real terms it is just a two diameter bullet with a odd ratio of bore rider to groove diameter. A gunsmith and I used to ride together to matches and he made bullets molds. Sometimes he had a sense of humor and produced some funny molds. I never shot this one much.

I am not sure why you would want to do one like this unless you want the increased powder capacity.

That is my two cents worth.....
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    Rick Moritz went down that road, or one like it. He did not get very far however.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    I am not sure why you would want to do one like this unless you want the increased powder capacity.

In my case the boolit (custom mold) turned out so long it turned my 45-70 into a 45-55. I started nose-sizing just to get my case capacity back up but I don't feel the need to reduce most of the boolit, just the front band or two.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    In my case the boolit (custom mold) turned out so long it turned my 45-70 into a 45-55. I started nose-sizing just to get my case capacity back up but I don't feel the need to reduce most of the boolit, just the front band or two.
    You had a bore diameter GG bullet that you had to further reduce the nose on?
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    They work well. I have a mold in 40 cal. Just the base band is 0.409". The rest of the grease grooves are 0.400". It kinda makes a 40-50SS into a the powder capacity of the 40-70 SS. In real terms it is just a two diameter bullet with a odd ratio of bore rider to groove diameter. A gunsmith and I used to ride together to matches and he made bullets molds. Sometimes he had a sense of humor and produced some funny molds. I never shot this one much.

Extra powder capacity is the main idea for long range. Think 82 grains powder will get us into 45-90 territory with both velocity and powder fouling.

This is a Lyman #445599 loaded at bore diameter to a .45 Colt single shot.
    The hind end band has a gas check shaped piece of cloth on it to keep the boolit from falling off of the case full of black.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	seating length.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	17.8 KB 
ID:	227196

It expanded to fill the rifling grooves for the full length of the boolit, not just where the hollow base is.

Boolit Master
    You had a bore diameter GG bullet that you had to further reduce the nose on?
    To make a long story short, I thought I had a bore diameter boolit.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BrentD View Post
    Rick Moritz went down that road, or one like it. He did not get very far however.
    I should see Rick before too long.

Boolit Master
    Kokomo Kid,
    To answer your first question "anyone out there using two diameter gg bullets effectively.
    I have used my 40 cal Elliptical Minigroove bullet very successfully. It is tapered or you could say two diameter
    such that the front bands seat out into the leade/bore ride and only the base band and next two are at FF case neck and freebore diameter.
    It is 370 grains, and seats into my 40-65 cases about 0.125" over 75 grains Swiss 1.5 for 1400fps.
    Have shot a 99/100- 3x at Lodi at 800 yards and 88/100 at 1K with this rifle and load. and won other matches with it.
    I can supply a drg that I had sent to Steve Brooks for cutting molds for me and several others. This could easily be scaled up to 45 cal.
    Oh, now I am shooting a DDEPP bullet scaled after the E Mini. See pics in the PP thread in the other BP section forums list
    beltfed/arnie

Boolit Master
    Attached are PICS of my DDEPP 370 gr bullet with 100yds group
    and of all my 40 cal bullets. the Elliptical Minigroove tapered/2 dia bullet is second from right.
    beltfed/arnie

Name:	DSCF1535.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	227277Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1527.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	227278

Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    This is a Lyman #445599 loaded at bore diameter to a .45 Colt single shot.
    The hind end band has a gas check shaped piece of cloth on it to keep the boolit from falling off of the case full of black.

Name:	seating length.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	17.8 KB 
ID:	227196

It expanded to fill the rifling grooves for the full length of the boolit, not just where the hollow base is.

Hey bro, that looks like a plan i have using a .454 lee hollow base 45 cal muzzle loader minie. I have wanted to try it with black powder in the same vein as you have it loaded. I want to setup my encore with a 16 or 18 inch barrel.

What barrel do you shoot yours in and what what twist?