WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Elvis Ammo's New "In Bulk" Powder Coating Video

Elvis Ammo's New "In Bulk" Powder Coating Video

Part of my daily commuting ritual is listening (yes, listening ) to the latest YouTube offerings by Johnny' Reloading Bench, Elvis Ammo, Fortune Cookie 45LC, and others.

This morning's material was Elvis Ammo's new video.

This one got my attention at the 20:40 mark, and continued to 21:52.

At first I thought he was crazy, but if we don't lube the base of our bullets, why should be worried about powder coating them? Is he right?

This is not a production quality method.....the best results I came up with required a lot of drip drop stations as well as heat cure stations and with a 30 min cure in heat that would require a lot of energy as well as a slow production time....not worth it...my 2 cents.
    They call it "common sense". Why is it so uncommon?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 308Jeff View Post
    At first I thought he was crazy, but if we don't lube the base of our bullets, why should be worried about powder coating them? Is he right?

He is right if you don't have a comp on the end of the barrel.

Combustion of the gunpowder is in direct contact with the base of the bullet. Therefore, it will vaporize a small amount of exposed bare lead and blow it down and out the pipe. Most of my pistols have comps on them and this causes lead build up in the comp ports which is a show stopper for the games I play.
    Last edited by igolfat8; 08-02-2017 at 10:07 PM.

Okay.

BUT, if powder coating is an accepted replacement to traditional lube, and if we don't lube the base of the bullet, why is it necessary to powder coat the base of the bullet?

i wondered if it was toung in cheek because the clarity was so bad. i do enjoy all those guys you listed efforts on youtube

Elvis might talk slow, but he's smart as a whip, and definitely thinks outside of the box. As far as I know, he's the only private individual to venture into the pure zinc bullet arena.

We've been shooting cast lead bullets for centuries. My knowledge is still very limited, but as far as I know, other than gas checking, nothing has been done to protect the base of the bullet.

Unless conventional lube somehow protects the base, he has to be right. PC does its job of preventing leading because it encases the portion of the bullet that comes into contact with the rifling.

Right?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 308Jeff View Post
    Okay.

BUT, if powder coating is an accepted replacement to traditional lube, and if we don't lube the base of the bullet, why is it necessary to powder coat the base of the bullet?
    To prevent vaporized lead blowing down the pipe which I thought was answered in my above post?

Do you gas check the bullets you shoot in your comp'ed pistols? Or did you before you PC'd if you PC now?

Boolit Buddy
    I shot FMJ prior to shooting lead. Then I shot conventionally lubed lead bullets and it plugged the comps in a hurry. Then I went to PC and problem went away. Then I tried HiTek and the lead came back in the comps. Then went back to PC and lead vanished. Proof is in the puddin' as they say.
    Last edited by igolfat8; 08-02-2017 at 10:38 PM.

Got it! That makes perfect sense.

So I guess my question is directed to those who have shot lubed bullets without GC and comps:

In the instances where we have successfully shot traditionally lubed bullets, is it necessary to powder coat the base of the bullet? I have no intention of not doing so, I'm just curious if the man's contention is correct?

I shoot suppressed, ALOT. PC gives me simply no issues in thousands of rounds. How does lubed raw lead do in a can? Well, look at 22lr cans and how the **** builds up in a few thousand rounds.

Banned

I enjoy Fortune Cookie 45
    I like the pacing and production level of his videos.
    Elvis Ammo seems like a doofus but I don't know him. His videos are crude and hard for me to watch.
    I really like Wiederlader TV
    As in all things, watch what works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by bpatterson84 View Post
    I shoot suppressed, ALOT. PC gives me simply no issues in thousands of rounds. How does lubed raw lead do in a can? Well, look at 22lr cans and how the **** builds up in a few thousand rounds.
    This is also one of the reasons I powder coat. I shoot ALOT of suppressed stuff. With sealed cans you get lead buildup as well as buildup from the lube.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    I enjoy Fortune Cookie 45
    I like the pacing and production level of his videos.
    As much as I like him I just can't listen to his vids anymore. Some one buy the guy a decent microphone already.

Boolit Buddy
    Full Lead Taco has become one of my favorite casting channels on U-Tube.

Was just getting ready to post about him and I saw his name here in this thread.

Glad to see you here!

Loads of Bacon has a great channel as well.

We can all agree that the PC is a lube replacement but since it protects the base from high temp. gasses that vaporize the Pb...well that makes PC a jacket of sorts too, wouldn't you imagine?

edit: Jeff, forgot to mention that adjusting the video speed to 1.5X on elvis makes him talk at normal speed...except when he laughs, he sounds like a chipmunk! I still love him though...a great guy and has a great attitude.
    Last edited by OS OK; 08-03-2017 at 09:58 AM.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Grand Master
    For pistol blasting ammo, I would think the minor imperfections are of little concern. I like the production rate, especially if the cast bullet does not require sizing. With two or three baskets, assuming 20 minutes to cook and 20 minutes to cool, 2000 bullets would be coated in about 2 hours. This is about the same as a Star, with less work.....again, if the PC'ed bullets do not need sizing.

If I need to size anyway, for my shooting, the Star is a better option for the calibers i shoot in volume.

This would be a good way to produce 9mm and .40 S&W bullets, as they are prone to leading. With PC, that issue is solved.

Great video.
    Don Verna

I know I'm going to sound like a broken record here, but...

In applications where conventional lube and no gas check are acceptable, is it not correct that the base of the bullet is not protected from hot gases? If this is the case, then PC bullets where the base has not been coated is equal to the conventional lubed version.

Again, I see no reason to not PC the base (unless you wanted to stand them all up and spray the PC), but logic tells me the conditions would be the same for both bullets.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I like any informative videos that can help me be a better boolitateer. Hats off to Elvis for the try but I wouldn't ever try the This method being it looks like the lazy mans try and have to say he reminded me of Chunk on the Goonies when he had to shake his belly (when Elvis was swirling his boolits)lol

We do this for the pride, art, and the craft...not to rush n make it look like ****.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 08-03-2017 at 02:02 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast