RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First Gun show... Not terribly impressed

Boolit Master
    Went to the show in Concord NC yesterday.

As a rule the guys selling powder and primers had the same stickers on their inventory that they had a year or 18 months ago, and none was selling.

I did see a pair of Ruger 96/22mag, fondled but didn't buy.

No contender barrels, saw one encore frame and barrel.

Bought a little .41mag ammo

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    I quit going to gun shows. But I would be the first one in line to go back if they got rid of all the off the wall c r a p not even remotely connected to firearms and reloading.
    Bingo
    I like 1911's and Wheel Guns , Wood Stocks and Blue Metal , Dislike Black on Black and Magazines on Rifles whats this country coming to.
    Amateur Radio Station -KB5SMG- since 1994 Call sign change as of 8-15-17 WB5MG *** My Station now consist of a new * Icom 7300 * along with a new * Ameritron AL-80B Amp * and various other goodies. * Alinco DX70T * HF radio in my truck I can Be emailed at rockinpmanager@gmail.com

Vendor Sponsor

Have not gone to a gun show in probably 15 years.
    Guns there are higher than retail mostly.
    They charge for parking and entry so unless I save 30 to 50 dollars over what I can get elsewhere I'm just paying them to walk around
    And a min of an hr each way driving time
    No thanks
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master

I went to the one they had at the Cocoa fair grounds just before the election. I did not see any deals that said '' buy me" except an 8lb can of Unique that did kind of whisper to me, but it was interesting. If you go you might just see something good, if you don't go, you won't.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Banned

We have a nice gun show here. Every two months at the fair grounds. Fills up two halls and I would say it is large compared to others I have attended. I like to go and look around for a couple few hours. I enjoy it. I may or may not buy anything. There are not a lot of great deals, but you never know.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by GOPHER SLAYER View Post
    Having sold at several gun shows in the past I will give you a little tip. Before the doors are open to the public most of the dealers make the rounds of the tables and snap up any bargains they see. What used to take place at gun shows were people who simply had stopped reloading or who wanted to get rid of surplus items. When more people started reloading it became very difficult to find anyone who had a surplus of anything.
    This is so true and I used to do this quite often. I like to go to a gun show and then compare how much higher the prices are above Cabela's! Gun shows like Flea Markets have become fleece markets for the most part. BUT, there are still good deals or bargains to be found. So, it is best to think of them as entertainment with a possible bonus if you find something cool.
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Boolit Master

Gun Show nirvana is coming up in a little over a month in Tulsa Okla. If you haven't been you owe it to yourself to go mingle. Lot's of good stuff to look at and buy if you're so inclined. Some bargains and some over priced items but you'll never make it through the entire show in under 4-5 hours. They have some neat manufacturers booths as well as the spectacular Ruger exhibit. You won't find a better entertainment value, period.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    There are probably a half dozen gun shows a year locally here in Kalispell. The one at the end of March, ran by the Montana Weapons Collectors is the best of the year. Lots of high class firearms here, and not all that difficult to negotiate a good deal. They also have a fall show, that is decent, but not near as good as the spring show.
    The others, you only go to if you are bored, or looking for something you haven't been able to find locally. You probably won't find it, but every once in a while an acorn is found.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    WILCO's philosophy is a great one!

Years ago, I used to go to a gun show down in Toledo area that was fantastic - very little of the usual clutter and mostly guns and parts, etc. It was an education just to walk around and look and talk with others and I did fine a lot of "treasures" - sometimes guns, sometimes parts I needed, etc.

I used to go to one in Michigan on a regular basis but I finally stopped going. The same things every time and while there were some sales, it looked like it was more of a "social event" than a gun show. The only redeeming part of it was that the gourd that ran the concession had great hotdogs and homemade brownies.?

"Price and bargains" are in the eye of the beholder and those with tables have the right to ask what they want to for their wares but at some point, when you bring the same thing back time after time, pay your table fee and maybe sell something once in a great while - reality should set in. But, I'm sure many of those with smaller tables do it for fun and for something to do.

I finally stopped to the one in Michigan as I was tired of seeing the same old stuff everytime and in my opinion, it turned in to more of a army surpus, chinese knife and beef jerky show. But all in all, it is a good wy to spend some time, meet new people and have a little entertainment along the way.

On the reverse, I went to a show out here up in Tucson a number of years ago with a couple of other guys and I was really surprised. It was around 80% handgun, 15% rifles and 5% ammo, reloading and misc. Everything is different in every area so I wouldn't avoid going to a new one - if it turns out to be a dud, cross it off the list. But don't let it spoil your day or your enthusiasm . . . life's too short.

Boolit Master

California - in the land of taxes and no representation.
    Out here, gun shows are a game of chance. Most of the dealers that come, bring the stuff they can't sell at the store, and they list it for retail. The used handgun market out here in California is almost non-existent. CA DOJ maintains a website, listing "approved handguns" for sale that have passed "a safety test." (The manufacturer paid a fee to CA to "test" their handgun.) These handguns must have the latest "safety devices" as mandated by CA. Most single action revolvers are exempt. You can still sell second hand, person to person (sale must be recorded by a FFL). The local shows have a best chance of finding reloading equipment, the big shows (larger cities) are mostly dealers.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Ya know, I used to do gun shows. In my mix was US knives, Chinese knives, Pakistan knives, guess which was the best sellers and made me the most money? Chinese & Pakistan by a long margin.

I also sold military dishes, not gun related but they sold well and made money, which in the end is the name of the game!

This was not all I sold but it was 2 of my most profitable items.

Those that sold all the "non" gun related would not be there if they were not making money!
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Master
    I have stopped going to shows mostly. Most often the prices are higher than just going to a shop. And anymore half the show has nothing to do w guns. People selling purses, beef jerky, jewelry cleaning. After paying entry and parking, its cheaper to buy elsewhere. Was a time when a gun show was a place to go for decent deals. Now nobody seems to understand you cant get retail price for used guns. I see the same people w the same stuff, stuff they cant sell, due to the price.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Well the "dealers/sellers" sure aren't going there with the prospect of losing money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Master
    the shows are not what they used to be. best time to go early sat. morning. in fact in the old days at big shows some would show up and help dealers carry their stuff in that way you got to shop early. another time that is a gamble is late sunday. dealers that had a bad show will deal ust to get out of the hole ones that had a good show will deal because they don't want to pack it up.

as said just go look around you never know what mite pop up. I have bought many guns from people walking around also sold many while walking around. I always tried to get a table near the door that way you get to check out what is walking in first.

Boolit Master

I found that i get the best (or only) deals at the smaller VFW type shows. The big fairground shows so are over crowded to the point it's almost claustrophobic. the big ones are interesting for people watching as it's always full of camo clad tacticoolians and mall ninja's. The small ones have the occasional seller that is more willing to deal or even trade straight up.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

I originally posted this on another forum a while back. Thought you might find it interesting.

It's been a decade or so since I went to a Gun Show so I decided to go wander around one of the big ones we have around here. I needed some small bits and accessories, mainly a Glock Disassembly tool to keep in my range bag. Small Pistol Primers have also been unobtainable lately. I got to the show and quickly ascertained that if I parked a mile away I could save a bundle and only pay 20 bucks for parking. Seems all those spots were full and I had to park further out.I excitedly rushed up to the ticket counter after my 2 mile trek from the parking lot and paid my 10 bucks to get in the door. As soon as I walked in I started to remember why it had been so long.

The Mall Ninjas were out in force in their tactical operator clothing and their AR's tactically slung by their sides. I was worried, it's been many years since I last attended a Ninja re-certification course. But the Ninjas would do their best to throw them selves across the isle and in front of you so you did not see the really ridiculously high prices. I wandered down the isles and low and behold I found the reason for the 22 ammo shortage nationwide. There was a seller with three tables in a row piled chest high with nothing but 22 ammo. The smallest box of 100 was at a rock bottom low price of 38.95. Sheish I remember buying a box of 100 for .39 cents when I was a kid. Didn't like it when it went to 50 cents either.

About half way through I got pretty uneasy when I saw a guy with a vaguely Muslim like beard, But then I felt better when I saw a special squad of stealth Ninjas tracking him. They had quickly donned new sports jerseys that were three sizes to big so they blended in with the thugs. The disguise worked pretty well and I could hear them remarking about how sweet this or that was. I knew the real reason they were there was to keep an eye on the stranger.

I kept walking and nearing the end I saw the Ninja Quartermaster. He was easy to spot with the full pack in front and in back on load his bearing gear. He was prepared to stay for the entire weekend no doubt. Such dedication.

On the last isle I saw it! Something so threatening it triggered me to transition to condition red, but a purple haze transitioned before my eyes and I went on fully automatic reactions. The last thing I remembered was the woefully out of date Ninja re certification date on the card in my wallet flashing before my eyes. Luckily when I came to at the car I went to the body cam footage to review what had transpired. It seems I spotted the threat, and being woefully unprepared I quickly looked around for a squad of ninjas to assist me. Since none were around I started throwing my elbows and body weight around to neutralize the threat. Luckily I have a lot of body weight to throw around. I finally made it up to the table and got my hands on the only box of Small Pistol Primers available at the show. I quickly paid for the box and exited the area. Once away I realized I could be mugged on the way to the car with my treasure. I quickly looked for a squad of Ninjas to enlist but they were all investigating the commotion I had just caused. Oh the horror, I would have to make it to the car unassisted.

Once in the car and back to my senses I pulled out the receipt and saw the most reasonable price of $38.50. Luckily I did not throw myself on that plate of 5 Nacho's for 10 bucks. After the 20 dollar parking and the 10 buck entry fee that box of primers cost me $68.50. I think I'll go back to ordering from Bass Pro and having it shipped to the store.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Moderator Emeritus

Here in Ga., the Eastman shows have been pretty good, and the Gunrunner shows a close 2nd, for size and variety. Eastman's generally draw the most high end stuff. And I've bought and sold at shows, usually selling with a friend or partner to defray epenses. All gun shows are very interesting. All sorts of people at all levels of the sport, and with all sorts of things they're looking for and interested in. I've typically done best with things I had that I simply wasn't interested in any more. I doubt there's any single "general observation" one can really make about them. Haven't been to one in several years because of difficulty now getting around them, but hopefully that'll change before long, and I'll get back to it.

And whoever it was who commented that the "deals" don't last long after they open is right, and venders DO walk around and deal with each other before the show opens. This, I think, is where the real "deals" go these days. I know whenever I've been a vendor at one, I've bought everything I got (except from private sellers) before the show opened. They're just not as good for "cherry picking" as they once were because more folks are interested. This simply makes for more competition for the number of deals out there.

But at least I get to handle some new stuff that I might be interested in, and who among us hasn't made a snap decision to purchase there? One tip: If you find something you want, do NOT tell yourself you'll come back later and get it at a lower price. Any time I've done that, it was gone when I went back. Make the deal or don't, but do NOT plan to "come back" and find it still there. Murphy's law at work? I dunno, but ..... that's just been my experience.

I'm between two or three show venues all about the same distance. One is smaller, more older guys, families, some younger guys but not dominant. I go there because I can buy reloading equipment new from a Lee vendor, he doesn't beat Titan on price but if I'm buying one thing or a few smaller items he comes in pretty close once you count shipping. Titan wins for a 6 item order with $7 shipping, not so good for a mold or even two plus $7 shipping. I also buy reloading supplies there. Powder, primer, brass. And a fellow I purchase cleaning stuff and oils from and .... essentially I'm shopping from people I know due to having shopped there for several years. These are good people, very helpful and knowledgeable. I like doing business with them. Even a little swapping from time to time.

The other show to the east is closer to a big city and the surrounding metro area. The charge for parking there. More stuff by a good deal, more selection of items and some bigger vendors but sort of mixed on prices, there are decent deals but also some pretty "optimistically" priced items. As in you know you have to be an optimist to think I'm buying your ML for full price plus your gas money if it has a bore covered in rust, figure you didn't clean it for a reason, like you knew what it looked like under that rust. A few of the vendors hit both shows. Me I like the free parking, friendly crowd and reasonable priced food of the smaller one. I pay less for dinner at Denny's than I do for a soft pretzel and a drink at the large show.

I like having some none gun items, consider them accent pieces. Have bought two belts at different times and my current wallet at the gun show. Some decent jerky and some good BBQ Sauce locally made. If someone is selling something I don't want I walk past it, no harm no foul.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    I still enjoy them but I've seen a couple that had way too much non-gun-related stuff. I'm still able to say "I've never seen one of those before," plus I usually find that one thing I keep forgetting to buy at my LGS (last time it was copper solvent).
    A few of years ago I bought two boxes of old factory-new "KleanBore" .357 LRN for $12 total because the vendor couldn't sell them. Guy standing next to me was disgusted by "them junky lead bullets."
    Win some, lose some, I just look at it as a way to kill an afternoon.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Grand Master

I found the large gunshows here in NC to be a good place to compare, pick up and handle and generally inspect firearms side by side all in one place. You thinking of a new 9mm carry then everything you can think of is pretty much represented. If your expecting a deal your going to be disappointed. Still, prices are no more than any LGS charges.

Lot's of powder with one guy in particular, Blue Collar Reloading, that did not raise his prices during the shortage at all. When others were charging $225 and up for an 8lb of Unique his was still about $150. I make it a point to buy some primers and powder from him every show.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast