WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Broke my Lee Classic Cast

Banned
    You mean like the chinese made RCBS Turret that I bought used? The one with so much slop in the heads that I have to shim them with arbor shims from Granger?

And I want to second Hannibal's comment about Cabela's case lube.

I tried a bottle because it was half the cost of RCBS lube. (I guess that makes me a cheap American).

It was a bad choice. I took the lube back and it took me over half an hour to convince two knuckleheads to refund my money.

So much for Cabela's satisfaction guaranteed warranty.

Boolit Master
    Since I neither swage or case form, the Lee Classic Cast would out last me. Probably, most others are in the same category as I. If I performed either task, I'd use an older Rockchucker or CH Champion. If I did swage and form cases and used a Lee press, then I'd have on hand those parts subject to breaking. Even the big Redding Ultra Mag--according to its maker--is not rated for swaging.

Boolit Master
    Interesting to compare buying Lee products to buying cheap Chinese stuff when you consider all Lee products are made right here in the good old USA.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've never tried to swage on this press.
    Didn't think it would take it.
    I did form cases on it.
    Some took lots of force.
    Probably not designed for amount of force I'm putting on it.
    I still like it.
    Nothing wrong with Lee products.
    Kind of like Craftsman vs. Snap-on tools.
    Snap -on is a beautiful tool, but Craftsman will take the nut off just as well.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
    Interesting to compare buying Lee products to buying cheap Chinese stuff when you consider all Lee products are made right here in the good old USA.
    the association was made to reference the fact that most americans are CHEAP, and thats why the vast majority of anything bought in this country was made in china.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by 3006guns View Post
    The OP may have just saved me some money.

I was seriously considering a Lee Classic Cast as a replacement for my aging Rock Chucker. All the reviews give it high marks and the primer disposal is good in my opinion........HOWEVER.........I was under the impression that the part in the pic was steel like the linkage, not cast iron. Although it can be argued that it is an overstress safety feature, it's still a cast part and not up to repeated cycles evidently.

I'll give it some more thought, but that really shook my faith in Lee design.
    I replaced a Rock Chucker probably six or seven years ago. It was a toss-up between the Redding Big Boss II and the Lee Classic Cast. I bought the Classic Cast on the recommendation of a number of folks here who were happy with theirs. But when it arrived, it was rougher than hell when working the ram--so much so that I sent it back to Lee.

And that was when the problems started. I was told by a (young) Lee family member that there was nothing wrong with the ram and that the "roughness" wasn't rough and they couldn't hear or feel anything. It felt like 50 grit sandpaper rubbing every time you operated the ram. Long story short, I told Lee to keep the SOB and to keep my money and that I was done with them. A week later, they send the press back to me and they had smoothed out the ram. This was not a new/different press because I'd made some discreet etching marks on the base. They had re-machined the ram and openings. It is as smooth as smooth can be and I honestly don't have any complaints about it--but that back and forth experience infuriated me.

Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    lee will be around as long as Americans buy the cheapest junk they can. just like all the chinese **** that comes into this country, it wont stop because the average American is a cheapskate.
    and as long as lee bashers are around, we'll have those people who feel the need to bash the lee bashers.
    the association was made to reference the fact that most americans are CHEAP, and thats why the vast majority of anything bought in this country was made in china.
    Well, I'd be curious to know what kind of computer you're typing on right now. I, as a cheapskate looking to buy the cheapest junk I can, am typing on a Macbook Pro Retina with all the horsepower Apple could build into this particular machine. Three iPads, along with two iPhones and a monster iMac G5 upstairs in our office rounds out the computer ensemble here in the house. More Apple products out in my reloading shop as well as in my airplane hangar.

Speaking of which. . . we're building a new airplane (RV9) and for the (instrument) panel, going all Garmin premium for both the MFD and GPS/coms. Could've gone with Dynon or another brand and saved some money, but I guess we just weren't feeling all that "cheapskate" looking to "buy junk made in China." In fact, we did the same thing for our Cessna and installed a completely refurbished Garmin 530W system. Could've been cheapskate and just used the least expensive handheld possible, but we take off and arrive in instrument conditions now and then and "cheapskate junk" wasn't/isn't approved for IFR.

I've got enough different colors of reloading brands and equipment on my bench and in my shop to make any gay pride rainbow logo proud. I see flaws and weaknesses as well as strengths and advantages in every piece of reloading equipment I own. I make my purchase decisions based upon the substance of my need versus the amount of value I wish to invest in against the job I'm asking the tool/equipment to do.

I don't consider that "cheapskate" but rather being fiscally intelligent.

Boolit Master

it was made as a reference, get over it! some of you guys are rediculous.

I made the mistake of complaining about a 'Premium' barrel on another forum, and am currently being 'dragged behind the bus' over there. Oddly enough, I did not even disclose the manufacturer of the 'tomato stake'. Seem that matters not.

It appears that complaining about anything, in general, will draw the continual ire of forum members. Particularly if you do not wish to 'out' the manufacturer, and simply plan to cut your losses.

And no amount of apologizing will stem the onslaught.

Sign of the times, I guess.

(Sigh.)

Boolit Master
    Apparently you are very uninformed about the guts of all your electronics. All most all chips and discreet components come from Asia.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sandiskSSDback.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	199766

Quote Originally Posted by Recluse View Post
    I replaced a Rock Chucker probably six or seven years ago. It was a toss-up between the Redding Big Boss II and the Lee Classic Cast. I bought the Classic Cast on the recommendation of a number of folks here who were happy with theirs. But when it arrived, it was rougher than hell when working the ram--so much so that I sent it back to Lee.

And that was when the problems started. I was told by a (young) Lee family member that there was nothing wrong with the ram and that the "roughness" wasn't rough and they couldn't hear or feel anything. It felt like 50 grit sandpaper rubbing every time you operated the ram. Long story short, I told Lee to keep the SOB and to keep my money and that I was done with them. A week later, they send the press back to me and they had smoothed out the ram. This was not a new/different press because I'd made some discreet etching marks on the base. They had re-machined the ram and openings. It is as smooth as smooth can be and I honestly don't have any complaints about it--but that back and forth experience infuriated me.

Well, I'd be curious to know what kind of computer you're typing on right now. I, as a cheapskate looking to buy the cheapest junk I can, am typing on a Macbook Pro Retina with all the horsepower Apple could build into this particular machine. Three iPads, along with two iPhones and a monster iMac G5 upstairs in our office rounds out the computer ensemble here in the house. More Apple products out in my reloading shop as well as in my airplane hangar.

Speaking of which. . . we're building a new airplane (RV9) and for the (instrument) panel, going all Garmin premium for both the MFD and GPS/coms. Could've gone with Dynon or another brand and saved some money, but I guess we just weren't feeling all that "cheapskate" looking to "buy junk made in China." In fact, we did the same thing for our Cessna and installed a completely refurbished Garmin 530W system. Could've been cheapskate and just used the least expensive handheld possible, but we take off and arrive in instrument conditions now and then and "cheapskate junk" wasn't/isn't approved for IFR.

I've got enough different colors of reloading brands and equipment on my bench and in my shop to make any gay pride rainbow logo proud. I see flaws and weaknesses as well as strengths and advantages in every piece of reloading equipment I own. I make my purchase decisions based upon the substance of my need versus the amount of value I wish to invest in against the job I'm asking the tool/equipment to do.

I don't consider that "cheapskate" but rather being fiscally intelligent.

Last edited by EDG; 07-15-2017 at 11:37 PM.
    EDG

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    I made the mistake of complaining about a 'Premium' barrel on another forum, and am currently being 'dragged behind the bus' over there. Oddly enough, I did not even disclose the manufacturer of the 'tomato stake'. Seem that matters not.

It appears that complaining about anything, in general, will draw the continual ire of forum members. Particularly if you do not wish to 'out' the manufacturer, and simply plan to cut your losses.

And no amount of apologizing will stem the onslaught.

Sign of the times, I guess.

(Sigh.)
    i let em all ramble a bit. seems when ever you bring up cheap the whole where is your computer from just has to come up. what they fail to consider is your computer was made in china because Americans dont want to pay for made in the USA. dont bother me if they get themselves worked up.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozark Howler View Post
    Can't totally agree with your assumption of Lee designs/engineering. Most reloading press designs have issue that should have been caught prior to their introduction. A few examples; RCBS's useless primer catcher on their latest Rockchucker, a good example of a bad idea, Lyman's cam-over issues with their T-mag & Crusher presses, CH's use of "aluminum" for their 4 die platforms, Redding's known ram alignment issues/problems, and last but not least, as for "getting it right", have you ever noticed how many redesigns the Rockchucker has had since introduced...count 'em.

My life's expertise has been in quality control and engineering design issues, and I found that most products have issues at some level, some worse that others. In my 50+ years of reloading I've seen many problems with various tools used in this industry, Lee's are no different than the others.
    Now that's funny right there, considering that I have never seen nor heard of a broken Rockchucker in all the decades they have been making them. Hearing about and seeing photos of broken Lee presses though, is fairly common.

Here's the thing, though: I like some of Lee's products and don't have a problem with their lightweight presses, especially the hand press. They have their place. But Lee publicly heaped ridicule on manufacturers and buyers of heavy presses, back when they didn't make a heavy press. Now they do make a heavy press, so any ridicule they receive when that press fails is richly deserved, in my book.
    Especially when it fails under use that the presses they used to poke fun at, shrug off on a regular basis.

The Rockchucker was designed to swage bullets as well as reload. That's what I want (and have) on my bench; not something that is designed to look the part but can't deliver.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    Apparently you are very uninformed about the guts of all your electronics. All most all chips and discreet components come from Asia.
    Not the least bit uninformed. But I'd hardly call $40K worth of avionics "Chinese made junk" or "fit for a typical American cheapskate" when it is the industry standard. And the day I find a PC/tablet/device that will last as long as any Apple product I've had--which goes back to 1987 when I got my first one--that can give me the same ROI, I'll do it.

I get weary as hell of the holier-than-thou alpha-hotels who call others here "cheapskates" or "junk collectors" based on said member's preference of brands and think that because they own/prefer blue or powder green equipment, that they themselves are somehow economically and fiscally superior to those who chose different colors and thus attempt to position themselves as such.

I've sent Dillon equipment back to Arizona and was never called a "cheapskate," but let someone send Lee or some other brand back for a problem, and they're a cheapskate.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
    . But Lee publicly heaped ridicule on manufacturers and buyers of heavy presses, back when they didn't make a heavy press. Now they do make a heavy press, so any ridicule they receive when that press fails is richly deserved, in my book.
    Especially when it fails under use that the presses they used to poke fun at, shrug off on a regular basis.

The Rockchucker was designed to swage bullets as well as reload. That's what I want (and have) on my bench; not something that is designed to look the part but can't deliver.
    nailed it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
    Now that's funny right there, considering that I have never seen nor heard of a broken Rockchucker in all the decades they have been making them. Hearing about and seeing photos of broken Lee presses though, is fairly common.

Here's the thing, though: I like some of Lee's products and don't have a problem with their lightweight presses, especially the hand press. They have their place. But Lee publicly heaped ridicule on manufacturers and buyers of heavy presses, back when they didn't make a heavy press. Now they do make a heavy press, so any ridicule they receive when that press fails is richly deserved, in my book.

My comment regarding the RCBS Rockchucker (which I owned a few) was referring to the ongoing redesigns within the model series. Usually when a product is redesigned it is either to improve the product itself, or improve the profit margin (Marketing 101 teaches you that new and improved usually equates to cheaper made and more expensive). From what I've seen of RCBS lately, is that the margin seems to be the target, not the product (Chinese casting, ?). The current Rockchucker Supreme (?) is quite a shift from the original A series, or RC models which were great presses, the newer line appears (IMO) to fall short of it's heritage. As for using the current Rockchucker for swaging, you will need to purchased a model that RCBS has specially designed for that purpose, the off the shelf model is not up to the task.

The whole point of this thread has kind of fallen off the mark, a 4 dollar part broke on a Lee press and everyone's is trashing Lee (big deal), spend a few bucks, replace the part and get on with reloading!. As a note to the wise, the Lee CC is also used to FL resize 50 BMG rounds, checkout Midway's review from 50 cal. users, they seem quite happy with it's performance. Lee's competition doesn't have much to offer in that area, unless your willing to take out a mortgage on a new press.

Let's move on........

Boolit Master
    The inside of your electronics came from the same place all the other stuff comes from.
    All of it will wind up in the trash in about 2 years when the next big deal is released.
    Buying top of the line electronics keeps you at the leading edge about 2 to 3 months and then your hot shot electronics will be surpassed by something else.
    You may have paid $40K for something worth $5K now.
    Everyone knows that if it is for a boat or a plane it cost 10 times what it costs on the consumer market.
    You can go examine your nearest local Alpha Hotel in the mirror remind yourself of how you appear to others.
    I think Brian Schul mentioned you asking for a ground speed check in Sled Driver. jajajajajaja

You are sawing your own limb off to claim any ROI on consumer electronics. You don't make money with them they are toys. The only people that need a top of the line PC are folks running solid modeling programs and those playing graphics intensive games.

Quote Originally Posted by Recluse View Post
    Not the least bit uninformed. But I'd hardly call $40K worth of avionics "Chinese made junk" or "fit for a typical American cheapskate" when it is the industry standard. And the day I find a PC/tablet/device that will last as long as any Apple product I've had--which goes back to 1987 when I got my first one--that can give me the same ROI, I'll do it.

I get weary as hell of the holier-than-thou alpha-hotels who call others here "cheapskates" or "junk collectors" based on said member's preference of brands and think that because they own/prefer blue or powder green equipment, that they themselves are somehow economically and fiscally superior to those who chose different colors and thus attempt to position themselves as such.

How about just staying on the subject? Admit your Apple stuff is not made in the USA.

I've sent Dillon equipment back to Arizona and was never called a "cheapskate," but let someone send Lee or some other brand back for a problem, and they're a cheapskate.

Last edited by EDG; 07-16-2017 at 01:46 AM.
    EDG

Banned
    For all you guys who are chiming in on Lee presses, this is a Lee Classic Cast. I broke the very same part the first time I used mine. I over-tightened the through bolt that held the handle in place. It literally cracked the part so it broke with almost no pressure. Now here is what I wanted to add to the thread. My brother has an old Lee "O" style press that looks exactly like my Classic cast. He berated mine all time, even when I told him that his only LOOKED LIKE my press. I finally took my press to his house so he could see it in person. His jaw hit the floor. His and mine look exactly alike in pictures. Mine is 10 times stronger, bigger and heavier. The Lee Classic Cast press HAS NO ALUMINUM ON IT, not one part is aluminum. It is all steel. The body is made from melted down railroad tracks. All other parts are steel. I fixed my brothers old Lee press for him. Lee made an all steel upgrade for it. It is still a little toy type thing but at least now he can use it for normal reloading.
    I use mine for swaging 22lr. I have a screw type press for case forming entire cases with those old hammer type dies. Even with a big screw "like a screw jack" those shells are very hard to size in those dies. I could see where even a Lee classic cast would have trouble with something like that. With that said. I have put a lot of pressure on mine. To the point where I thought I was bending the heavy hardened steel handle. But it did not bend. I would say that the handle would snap before that part would break UNLESS YOU OVER-TIGHTEN it like I did. For those of you who think that the press that is being spoken of here is that old toy aluminum Lee that looks like this one...This is the same press that is the Lee 50 BMG press. It handles 50 bmg with no problem. Again, there are absolutely no aluminum or pot metal parts on it. It is all steel and cast iron.
    Now talk.

Banned
    nailed it!!
    I have heard several folks who own both rock chucker and classic cast say that the classic cast was a better press...even though it is 1/4 to 1/3 the price.

Boolit Grand Master
    "[QUOTE=Recluse;4101175]I replaced a Rock Chucker probably six or seven years ago. It was a toss-up between the Redding Big Boss II and the Lee Classic Cast. I bought the Classic Cast on the recommendation of a number of folks here who were happy with theirs. But when it arrived, it was rougher than hell when working the ram--so much so that I sent it back to Lee.
    And that was when the problems started. I was told by a (young) Lee family member that there was nothing wrong with the ram and that the "roughness" wasn't rough and they couldn't hear or feel anything. It felt like 50 grit sandpaper rubbing every time you operated the ram. Long story short, I told Lee to keep the SOB and to keep my money and that I was done with them. A week later, they send the press back to me and they had smoothed out the ram. This was not a new/different press because I'd made some discreet etching marks on the base. They had re-machined the ram and openings. It is as smooth as smooth can be and I honestly don't have any complaints about it--but that back and forth experience infuriated me."

That's the same thing that happened to me when I first got it.
    Really tight and gritty.
    They sent me some new parts, and it was smooth a silk.
    Until it broke.
    I still like this press.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    I have heard several folks who own both rock chucker and classic cast say that the classic cast was a better press...even though it is 1/4 to 1/3 the price.
    Yes
    Correct
    Exactly

Boolit Master
    They did not have a Lee Classic Cast for $35 or any other price in 1971 when I bought my press.
    Whoever gets to the market first often gets a big advantage. In 1971 Lee was still marketing whack a moles.

Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    EDG

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast