MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline Fabrication

Thread: 260gr 44 mag load data

260gr 44 mag load data

Hey y'all I'm somewhat new to reloading and having a hard time finding load data for the 260gr cast bullets I just got from rock rim bullets. I've been loading their 240gr but being new to this I didn't want to mess up going to the heavier bullets. I'm using Unique 2400 and h110 and will be shooting them out of a Ruger SBH

Sent from my SM-N920R7 using Tapatalk

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The Ruger SBH is a stout gun. In mine using 265-270-grain cast bullets I use the STARTING loads listed in Speer 13 for 240-grain jacketed and have had good results, not loosened the gun or blown anything up. Current H110 is the same as 296, so should not be reduced in absence of tested load data. I don't use either.

With Saeco #432 I have found less than 16 grains of Alliant #2400 got erratic as to velocities and 20 grains was a good full charge load which I choose not to exceed. With IMR4227 less than 20 grains gave me erratic velocities so I use 22 grains in both rifle and revolver, do not reduce.

I have found for rifle use that a compressed nominal case full, compressing the charge about 1/8" in exactly the same manner as for loading black powder, about 24 grains of either IMR4198 or Alliant RL7 give very uniform, accurate results. These are not high pressure loads, and safe for revolver use, but WILL leave burned powder, so you MUST be careful to elevate the muzzle when ejecting the empties, then spin the cylinder and blow out the action with the loading gate open between cylinders full.

I mention this because I DO carry the same ammo in rifle and revolver for hunting purposes and don't like to have to keep two kinds of ammo separate. The 4198 and RL7 loads are MUCH more accurate in the rifle, and give very acceptable results from the revolver, though not full velocity. I do the same in the .44-40 with 230-grain bullet.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 10-15-2017 at 02:24 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Thanks Outpost I tried some with 18gr 2400 and 10gr unique and they worked out great. I'll play with the 2400 more this coming up weekend.

^ 18.0gr of Alliant 2400 and the Mihec #503 clone (~260gr) favorite "warm" magnum load. Very accurate and not abusive recoil.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KVO View Post
    ^ 18.0gr of Alliant 2400 and the Mihec #503 clone (~260gr) favorite "warm" magnum load. Very accurate and not abusive recoil.
    What he said.^
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Thanks what mold are y'all using? I'm looking for one and wasn't sure what to get.

This one (Shameless plug for current group buy) I already have a 4 cavity HP, and now I want a 6 cavity with the Lee style cam lever sprue cutter. Yeah, I like it that much:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...03-clone-rerun

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumpjunky View Post
    Thanks what mold are y'all using? I'm looking for one and wasn't sure what to get.

I have the MP-432-265(503 clone) from an earlier group buy, but mine is only a 2 cavity. I shoot a lot, so I prefer 4C and 6C moulds. Therefore I find myself using a 4C Lyman 429421 that is a custom hollow point, casting in tandem with my 4C 429421 solid design.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!