RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is your barrel really clean?

Perma-Banned

Is your barrel really clean?

I have been shooting every chance i get the last few weeks, i pick a gun and go with it. This evening i grabbed an old pre warning Renegade, pulled the barrel, Grabbed my little steam cleaner to go through the nipple/snail like i do and make sure to get all of the excess oil out, This one SURPRISED me!!

History of this rifle- I bought this gun from a Pawn shop, it was in really good shape, i could not see any rust, pitting, etc. i got it home, tore it apart, pulled the nipple, dunked the barrel in a bucket of good warm tap water and went to work on it, it wasnt to bad at all, i got color on the patches but it wasn't horrible by any means. With warm soapy water, patches, good new bronze bore brush, back to patches etc. etc. til i felt it was as good as i could get it, dried it out really good, then i added Montana Extreme bore polishing compound to a doubled up tight fitting patch and went to work polishing the bore, i even wrapped some steel wool on a worn bore brush til i got a good snug fit and worked that back n forth 40-50 Strokes, as it loosened i added more steel wool, back to the bore polishing, i made roughly 200 strokes with the polishing compound, as the patches wore i would replace and add more compound, when i was done i went back to a clean bucket of water and dish soap, i scrubbed it back out again thoroughly, after getting through the black patches (from the polishing compound) i was easily able to get COTTON WHITE patches, I HAD IT POLISHED AND AS CLEAN AS ONE COULD GET AN OLD BARREL! This is back before i knew anything about the Patented breech and Steam cleaner. So after getting this barrel SQUEEKY clean, and the bore polished, dried out thoroughly i oiled it up REALLY GOOD, i had the bore FULLY coated with oil, i use a patch or 2 folded up between the Hammer and nipple hole to soak up excess oil that seeps out.

So this evening i grab this rifle to ready it to shoot tomorrow if the weather permits, again my routine now days is to pull the barrel, and nipple, then take my little steam cleaner and go through the Snail/Breech, nipple hole, i do this with the muzzle down, and hammer it with steam for 10 seconds or so, enough to get 8-10 inches of the barrel hot, with the muzzle stil pointed down i lift the barrel and start a patch to dry the moisture out from the steam. This routine works like a DREAM! Zero hangfires from excess oil in the patented breech etc. to my surprise the patches were absolutely NASTY! And smelled of a grease type smell? Now remember this barrel was put away THOROUGHLY CLEAN, BORE WAS POLISHED, AND OILED REALLY REALLY GOOD before i put it away! I ran a patch down the barrel mid winter to check it, as i do all of my rifles, it came out nice and clean, i freshened up an oily patch and swabbed it back n forth a few times. But this is what i got when i steam cleaned a few minutes ago, i am 99% Confident this gunk was in the Patented breech and i dislodged it with the steam cleaner. Either that or it was Baked on Bore Butter in the grooves, or combination of both? I spent about 15 minutes with the steam cleaner, patches, and a new bore brush, She is clean now! This old barrel literally looks brand new, but this is what i removed!

Attachment 193642
    Last edited by 54bore; 04-20-2017 at 02:18 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    I am really intrigued with using the steam cleaner. I will have to do more study on it as it would greatly simplify cleaning the ole smoke pole. Now that I think about it, the procedure would make and excellent sticky. Do you have any advice on adapters for a flintlock?
    Domari Nolo

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dryball View Post
    I am really intrigued with using the steam cleaner. I will have to do more study on it as it would greatly simplify cleaning the ole smoke pole. Now that I think about it, the procedure would make and excellent sticky. Do you have any advice on adapters for a flintlock?
    I dont know anything about flintlocks? But i am sure you can just point the nossle of the cleaner into the side hole and steam it clean, here it is attatched to one of my TC Renegade Cap locks

Attachment 193644

Boolit Man
    Wow that's incredibly the amount of gunk you pulled out of that barrel.

Boolit Master

You can do this with boiling water as well. Clean the gun till you get clean patches. Dump a couple cups of boiling water down the barrel and then clean again. They will come out black as coal. That is how I clean all my ML since someone told me this procedure.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    This sounds like a great idea.
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Banned

looks like rust and not specifically some kinda 'gunk'. it'll be back, right after yer next shooting session, unless time is spent with a patch draped .32 brush into the ante-chamber. this why i'm not at all fond of patent breech plugs. bolsters need to be cleaned out as well, through its 'pressure relief' clean out screw. and y'all know about them nipples. anyhoo, good stuff lewis!

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    looks like rust and not specifically some kinda 'gunk'. it'll be back, right after yer next shooting session, unless time is spent with a patch draped .32 brush into the ante-chamber. this why i'm not at all fond of patent breech plugs. bolsters need to be cleaned out as well, through its 'pressure relief' clean out screw. and y'all know about them nipples. anyhoo, good stuff lewis!
    Rob, there is DEFINITELY rust there, but this was an odd smelling grease stuff as well? After bombing it with the steam cleaner it smelled my house up like cooked grease of some sorts. I definitely gave the Ante chamber/patented breech a good going over with the .36 brush, then patch wrapped it and went back to it, i don't have a .32 Cal brush, but after a short while my .36 looks like one!

Perm-Banned
    yes, it is really clean

Perma-Banned
    The little steam cleaner is an invaluable little tool to me, I stil clean my barrels with my bucket of warm water and the slush pump method, but hooking up the little steam cleaner thru the nipple like i do DEFINITELY gets the Snail/bolster, when you unhook and look inside the nipple hole after 10-15 seconds of piping hot steam it looks like brand new shiny metal, this area is REALLY difficult to get super clean, NOT WITH A STEAM CLEANER!

Instead of removing just the hammer, it is just as easy for me to remove my locks, i lay them down on a towel and hammer the lock thoroughly with steam, the hammer, and hammer face really good, rinse, and then use my air compressor to blow away/dry up any moisture. Re oil everything up good and done. As cheap as these things are, i will ALWAYS have one

Boolit Grand Master
    If it's been mentioned before, excuse me, but where did you get that steam cleaner. Cost?

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    If it's been mentioned before, excuse me, but where did you get that steam cleaner. Cost?
    Mine is called a Gideon, i got it through Amazon. This one seemed to have the best reviews so i went with it. It was cheap, i can't remember exactly what i paid, but im pretty sure it was 40 bucks. This little cleaner does everything i could ask and then some, plenty for guns!

If i were to do it Over i would get this one tho, bigger, i could do other outside projects with it, etc. etc. this one is a McCulloch 1275 Heavy duty, i stil might get this one? My little one does everything i need for my guns though. Recovery time on mine is REALLY fast, but this bigger one would allow a lot longer run time before it needed to recover. This one would be an AWESOME machine for any and everything!

Attachment 193656

Boolit Master
    Dammmmm, I guess I'll have to get one of these especially for the rifles (5) that have a "patent breech" as I clean them as best I can with the 3 part cleaner then oil the interior with some CLP or Rem Oil and a few days later a patch put all the way into the bottom comes out looking like the black hole of Calcutta! The patches before were clean as a whistle. I save the picture of yours and blew it up 300% to get the name as Amazon sells lots of them (Gideon).

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by oldracer View Post
    Dammmmm, I guess I'll have to get one of these especially for the rifles (5) that have a "patent breech" as I clean them as best I can with the 3 part cleaner then oil the interior with some CLP or Rem Oil and a few days later a patch put all the way into the bottom comes out looking like the black hole of Calcutta! The patches before were clean as a whistle. I save the picture of yours and blew it up 300% to get the name as Amazon sells lots of them (Gideon).
    oldracer, i think all of these little cheaper steam cleaners will work equally as well? They make a bunch of different ones, but they all look very similar, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they are all made in the same little 'ying yang' chinese factory? I just went with the Gideon due to it getting good reviews at the time, i can say that mine works flawlessly! It heats up REALLY FAST, about 1-2 minutes and is at full operating temp.

Like i said earlier if i were to do it again i would go with the bigger McCulloch 1275 pictured above, just to have the extra volume and be able to do other chores with it. But My little Gideon does EVERYTHING i need for my Muzzleloaders with ease.

What storage oil are you coating that breech with? You want an oil that will continue to pull-up during storage..... something like Ballistol. It's not a product to store for multiple years without use. But for monitoring all that brown inside the bore, I'd stick with Ballistol for a while and run a patch down the bore 2-3 times in the next year.

Ballistol will continue to clean your bore during storage and offer the bore good protection.

That would be excellent for corrosive ammo.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Banned
    Not a ballistol fan. Just mineral oil that gums up over time. The, cleans while in storage, story they came up with is also false. If its reddish brown, its not protecting, its rust! Found that out the hard way.

Use tight fitting patches for cleaning and oiling, along with a shot of alcohol to remove water/moisture from the breech and then oil your bore, you'll be set.

Boolit Master
    Ya I read you last post using the steam cleaner, & bought one, but different brand. It really works well.

Fly

Quote Originally Posted by FrontierMuzzleloading View Post
    Not a ballistol fan. Just mineral oil that gums up over time. The, cleans while in storage, story they came up with is also false. If its reddish brown, its not protecting, its rust! Found that out the hard way.

Use tight fitting patches for cleaning and oiling, along with a shot of alcohol to remove water/moisture from the breech and then oil your bore, you'll be set.

You think Ballistol is only mineral oil?....... not so. There's other additives in it. It's like the oil in your truck. There's base oil - then there are numerous additives.

I've never had Ballistol gum-up in a 4-6 month interval. Not even with centerfire actions (270 / 300WSM) that were in storage for a year.

Besides, we are discussing a barrel that's probably kept in a stable temperature and humidity level - probably in a gun safe. We aren't discussing taking this barrel/gun attached outside for a wide array of temps and humidity. We are talking storage.

I've never had Ballistol gum-up in my gun safe during storage.
    Last edited by GoexBlackhorn; 04-20-2017 at 11:45 PM.

Banned
    ballistol is mineral oil, among other things. WW1 germans used it, even as something to clean wounds.

Spray it onto something and let it sit, it turns into a white gummy mess after time where it pools.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast