WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nipple Flash hole diameter ?

Vendor Sponsor

It is interesting, the 100y groups I am getting with this Lyman Great Plains Hunter replacement barrel are not as good so far as I would have expected. My old barrel was the RB 1 in 60 twist, and it shot the TC maxi bullet well. 100Y accuracy was 2 -3 inches with that old barrel. I have NOT exhausted all loading possibilities, but so far, 4 to 4.5" 100y groups are the norm. I have used powder charges from 70 to 90 grains. I would think something in there should click.
    I also changed out the supplied nipple with large 0.042" hole, for the smaller Ampco.

These Hunter barrels are twisted faster than I would like at 32 twist, but I still think it should shoot better than it does. I think the hunter barrels are set up for the sabot and smaller 44 or 45 sub cal pistol bullets. I don't want to hunt with pistol bullets but I will try them just to see the accuracy - after I return from my hunt this week to see if this holds true!
    Opening day here in the high country is today, but I will wait until Monday and all the weekend warriors are done.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    I ordered two of these using a door prize certificate and checked the flash hole when they arrived. The flash hole will just pass a 0.027" diameter wire. I changed out my old nipple and test fired the rifle a few times over the past few weeks. No real change in accuracy. That just may be the new barrels ability limit or I have not found what it likes. The old barrel shot about everything well.
    No worries tho, it is plenty accurate for hunting next week.

Two odd things about these Ampco nipples, the #11 caps I have, all brands are a very loose, fall right off loose. Pinching good them only helps a little. I am going to need to address that better for hunting. The second thing is the flats are wider than any other nipple I have used on this rifle and the wrench won't go on them. I had to lightly grind and file them to fit so I could use the wrench. About 0.010" did it. They are harder then woodpecker lips.
    Can you shorten these nipples & still get caps to go off? That would make them a tighter fit

Question

Chill...., Is it possible that the [T/C] Maxi-Ball doesn't fit the GPH bbl. as well as it does the 1:60 bbl.? Btw, the .50cal. T/C Maxi-Ball does fine in my 1:28 bbl., mostly because it fits it well. The Lyman MB's and Lee REAL's (both weights) and Minies not so much.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by HPT View Post
    Can you shorten these nipples & still get caps to go off? That would make them a tighter fit
    I thought of that and then kinda dismissed it. Now that you mention it, maybe that is something I can try. I think it may only take removing a small amount to make a difference.
    Chill Wills

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Maven View Post
    Chill...., Is it possible that the [T/C] Maxi-Ball doesn't fit the GPH bbl. as well as it does the 1:60 bbl.?
    You may have a point.
    I liked the fit, it was just a little looser than in the old barrel and starting in this new barrel is great. Really, the fit seemed correct, just loose enough to fit in the muzzle up to the top band with no wiggle and then easy to start with just the rod.

I would think when the big red light come on the bullet expands well but maybe it did better in the deeper rifled slow twist barrel. The info on the Hunter barrels say shallow rifling for sabot and longer bullets - something like that.
    The shallow rifling part has me wondering.

BTW- what mountains are in the back round of your avatar? Looks like something I should know.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Buddy
    It is interesting, the 100y groups I am getting with this Lyman Great Plains Hunter replacement barrel are not as good so far as I would have expected. My old barrel was the RB 1 in 60 twist, and it shot the TC maxi bullet well. 100Y accuracy was 2 -3 inches with that old barrel. I have NOT exhausted all loading possibilities, but so far, 4 to 4.5" 100y groups are the norm. I have used powder charges from 70 to 90 grains. I would think something in there should click.
    I also changed out the supplied nipple with large 0.042" hole, for the smaller Ampco.

These Hunter barrels are twisted faster than I would like at 32 twist, but I still think it should shoot better than it does. I think the hunter barrels are set up for the sabot and smaller 44 or 45 sub cal pistol bullets. I don't want to hunt with pistol bullets but I will try them just to see the accuracy - after I return from my hunt this week to see if this holds true!
    Opening day here in the high country is today, but I will wait until Monday and all the weekend warriors are done.
    Just wondering if you're not wiping between shots - does the 1:28 build up more fouling? Is the bullet pure lead? Tried finer or different powder?

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by HPT View Post
    Just wondering if you're not wiping between shots - does the 1:28 build up more fouling? Is the bullet pure lead? Tried finer or different powder?
    Hello, This is a hunting rifle, so I am using Pure Lead Maxi-balls and no wiping between shots. Wiping surly would be a change for the better on follow up shots, but if ever I need a second shot, I want to know what to expect. The 32-1 twist might retain more fouling but does not feel like it, it sure loads like that is not the problem.

For now I am shooting Olde Eynsford 2F and have not put in the time to try all the variables even with this powder.

Accuracy is not the best but I can make this work for this year. I will work on it more later.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    I am doing a video on fixing the Ampco.

Vendor Sponsor

Two odd things about these Ampco nipples, the #11 caps I have, all brands are a very loose, fall right off loose. Pinching good them only helps a little. I am going to need to address that better for hunting. The second thing is the flats are wider than any other nipple I have used on this rifle and the wrench won't go on them. I had to lightly grind and file them to fit so I could use the wrench. About 0.010" did it. They are harder then woodpecker lips.
    I ended up taking 0.015" off the top of the Ampco nipple. Works great now for the CCI #11 cap.
    The #11 Remington caps are a good fit but not as tight as the CCI are after the nipple was shortened.
    I am hunting with the CCI.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    Boy you guys are getting very tec, on this. But that's great. As far as checking holes # drills would work. If you are
    really picky Good industrial supply have carbide gauge pins you can buy & last a life time. I had a set when I was in tool
    & die making. But for just shooting black powder a drill index works for me.

You guy must be better shots than me, but I'm OLD. (WINK)

Fly

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Fly View Post
    Boy you guys are getting very tec, on this. But that's great. As far as checking holes # drills would work.

You guy must be better shots than me, but I'm OLD. (WINK) Fly
    Hey Fly, I don't know from tec but doing what it takes is easy. I used my numbered drills on the nipples - it is the first thing to do. But when the new nipples mic less the 0.040" that is the limit of standard drills. I may get some cheap China made smaller then #60 if I want to some day.
    The real deal with the Ampco nipples are the two issues above, the wrench flats being too wide. I just hit it with a file, and the loose cap, which is easily fixed in many ways; mine was to take off enough top metal to seat the cap down farther on the larger part of the cone shaped nipple top. .015" does not effect much on the hammer arc but it really helps hold the cap.
    I really don't want to loose the cap while in the field.

Good day
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master

If you haven't done it already you might try a felt or cork wad under the boolit. My Gibbs won't stay inside the side of a barn without a wad. Either one works great and lubed doesn't seem necessary.
    Off to Friendship this morning to spend a little time on the Mini Creedmores with the Gibbs. Hopefully Irma won't make it too bad a day, although the lines are covered. Problem is the winds are supposed to be 25 gusting. Well my wind reading does need work!

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12