RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ar15

Boolit Buddy

ar15

been toying with getting a new ar15 as a deer hunting rifle 4 to chose from 6.5 Grendel 6.8 spc 458 socom and a 50 Beowulf want in a 16'' gun the cost between mag brass bullet and range the 458 socom and 50 Beowulf are 125 yard guns and 6.5 and 6.8 are to 225 maybe 250 yards after that they loose to much energy 458 can use standard mags a + I had one 6 or so year ago any thought ?

Banned

The 50 Beowulf is a good round, but as you mentioned it's not a long range one, along with 458 SOCOM. Thus I'd opt for the 6.5 Grendel. I know some people that have taken elk at long range with one shot. The 6.5 caliber is a known performer throughtout history. The mags for it really aren't a problem.

Boolit Master
    I've been looking at different caliber choices as well. Although:

Currently I'm using a 16" .223/5.56 with 65 grain Sierra Game Kings. It kills whitetail deer just fine.

Motor

Boolit Buddy
    Imho if you are going with other than 5.56mm go with the 6.8mm the 90gr. Gold dot is a beast,but all of the above will work if used properly. Iv been killing deer with an ar9 for awhile now.

Boolit Master
    Quite a few of us went with getting .450 Bushmaster rifles. It is a relatively short range gun, but it sure works well and is hard hitting. Easy to reload too. Plus the straight sided case makes them legal to use for certain hunts in some states too. A big plus is that Cabelas and some LGS's stock factory ammo for it too.

Boolit Master
    Range is another thing to consider like mentioned in the previous post. It's another reason why I haven't been able to decide yet. I mostly hunt woods that are on farms so I can go from short range to as far as you'd care to shoot in literary a few steps. I really like the big bores, I sometimes use a 45-70 but it's not an open pasture field gun.

I would also like to stay light weight which typically means staying with the AR-15 platform and not stepping up to the larger frame guns.

Just want to add. For those who don't reload. If you want to and can hunt deer with the .223/5.56 Federal Fusion ammo in 62gr works very well for deer.

Motor

Boolit Master
    One big plus for the AR platform is that you can obtain multiple upper receiver, barrel assemblies and swap them out easily. Thus you can have several different caliber carbines or rifles and just swap out the upper assembly to change it. Easier than even the Thompson Center single shot guns. Plus each upper can have its own scope and or sights on it too.

I'm thinking real hard about assembling my next AR in 6.5 Grendel. About the best all around ballistics from an AR15 frame; sub .250 Savage territory!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Earlwb View Post
    Quite a few of us went with getting .450 Bushmaster rifles. It is a relatively short range gun, but it sure works well and is hard hitting. Easy to reload too. Plus the straight sided case makes them legal to use for certain hunts in some states too. A big plus is that Cabelas and some LGS's stock factory ammo for it too.
    If you think that his hard hitting you should see what the 45 Raptor can do!! Basically a 460 S&W on an AR 10.

Boolit Master

Just asking but why not just step up to a AR10 in 308
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Banned

Because a lot of folks like big bores!!! Here's one for you to punch into the search engine. The 375 Raptor base doff the 308. Very impressive round.

Boolit Master

looks like a good round http://www.375raptor.com/375RAPTOR/
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Banned
    ARs are not light.

You can build a 7 pound 308 on a bolt gun but an AR that will work as well will be 10 pounds. (been there done it)

There are a few hunting applications where an AR is a reasonable choice (Hogs and called Yotes comes to mind) but a 308 or 244 740 would do as well and be lighter.

Dad went to war with an M-1 but never took one hunting.

I have an AR10 and 2 15s with multi uppers. Fun to shoot, useful if ISIS comes to call but not my cup of tea when hunting.

But I like revolvers too......

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LUCKYDAWG13 View Post
    Just asking but why not just step up to a AR10 in 308
    Like the previous posts suggest it's about weight. Plain and simple.

If I wanted a hard hitting AR-10 I'd get one in .300 Remington SAUM

I'm just looking for a little more punch than the .223 without giving up too much trajectory or range. It's not easy. I've see what bullets like the Barnes 62gr TTX does to deer even at 200 yards and retain 100% of their weight while at the same time expanding to twice their diameter. Even the Sierra 55gr and 65gr Game Kings are receiving very good press for their performance on hogs and deer.

I don't think this search for something better in the same weight package is going to be easy. The 6.5 Grendel may be close. IDK, I'm not sold on anything yet.

Motor

Banned

Ive used my 50 beo on deer but keep in mind its about a 150 yard proposition with the big bores. A standare 5.56 loaded with 60 grain partitions will suffice as a deer gun and still give you the option of cheap ammo and brass and bulk bullets. carried my ar10 one year deer hunting it will be the last year. WAY to heavy to carry around all season. Never used one and to be honest never even shot one but I would think if I was looking for the best round for a ar15 for deer id be looking at the 6.5 creedmore.

Tac14 nailed it. The weight to power ratio is way off in the AR rifles. They don't have quick handling or fine balance. My CavArms/Anderson AR15 .300 BLK is very light for the genre but it's power and range are limited.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    If you want something different Mag Dog Weapon Systems has some interesting cartridges and barrels and stuff for them. They also do have some other not so common calibers for the Ar15 platform. The .277 Wolverine comes to mind and it looks to be pretty promising actually.
    ref https://www.maddogweapons.com
    But any rifle or cartridge combination is always a compromise. it really depends on how you prefer to hunt and shoot and at what ranges are typical for you.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    Ive used my 50 beo on deer but keep in mind its about a 150 yard proposition with the big bores. A standare 5.56 loaded with 60 grain partitions will suffice as a deer gun and still give you the option of cheap ammo and brass and bulk bullets. carried my ar10 one year deer hunting it will be the last year. WAY to heavy to carry around all season. Never used one and to be honest never even shot one but I would think if I was looking for the best round for a ar15 for deer id be looking at the 6.5 creedmore.
    Lloyd, I'm pretty sure 6.5 Creedmore is based on the .308 Win case and is NOT available in the AR-15 platform. You'll need and AR-10/SR-25 to use it.

Motor

Boolit Grand Master
    The larger bores give up too much range for my liking. I hunt power lines at times and need a flatter trajectory.

And one surely does not need that kind of energy for deer.

I have four AR’s and went through the same thinking and decided they offered no advantage for me. If I am going to limit my range to under 200 yards, a 94 Winchester is handier and lighter in the woods. If I want to shoot at longer ranges, I use a bolt action.
    Don Verna

Banned
    Been to both extremes.
    Had a DPMS 300 SAUM. 12.75 pounds all up. Actually killed an Antelope with it after lugging up to a butte top. About died. Sold it on
    Had a 6 pound all up AR 15 (carbon fiber) that shot MOA. Was a nice truck gun for Yotes. Sold it on.
    Still have R15 with 223, 6.5 Grendel and soon to arrive 300 B/O SBR. All fun to bang steel with but my go to hunting rifle is still a semi-auto 300 winmag.
    Sneaking up on a Mulie with a 300 B/O and running into Mr. Griz would spoil the day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast