Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataRepackbox
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: what was imr4895 originally made for?

what was imr4895 originally made for?

was it a service powder or made for reloaders? and if it was mad for the army what did they use it in? thanks!-Travis
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    IMR4895 was formulated to load cal. .30 Ball M2 during WW2. Hodgdon Powder got its start selling surplus 4895 in brown paper bags. H4831 was salvaged from pulling down 20mm Oerlikon cannon ammunition.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

boy I would love to have one of those!

I used to buy it at Viking Arms on Reno St in Oklahoma City for a quarter a scoop back in the 60's. Did all or my rifle reloading with it and still use it today.

Boolit Master
    I got the impression that it was developed around making the .30-06 cartridge launch a 152gr. FMJ bullet at 2800 + 50 f/s in the M1 Garand rifle, without bending its operating rod from excessive port pressure. In the process, it proved to be a rather versatile rifle propellant. It was also my impression that another company that was contracted to provide propellant for the same application devised a propellant later known as IMR-4064, for the same purpose, but I could have that wrong.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

I started using surplus Hodgen 4895 in 1959 when it was $1.25 for a one pound can. I could also buy original Ball C at the same price, but I didn't like it as well.It is a very versatile powder. I still use it, but in the IMR label.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

I used it in the early 60's and would still use if the need arises,I am down to using tightgroup for all my loading now.One powder for everything from 380 to 45C
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Banned
    IMR 4895 is my ONLY powder for 30 caliber loads and it works pretty well in some other applications.

I used other powders but always came back to 4895 and eventually just stopped wandering around and settled on 4895. That was many years ago.

I cannot intelligently answer the OP's question but I happily yield to Outpost75's knowledge.

Sorry to get off track,but is H4895 the same stuff?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by tranders View Post
    Sorry to get off track,but is H4895 the same stuff?
    H4895 is pretty much the same as IMR4895 but is just a tudge faster burning in most top end applications. With cast bullet loads there's not much difference at all. H4895 is smaller kernelled and meters through powder measures more accurately. H4895 is also an "Extreme" powder so it is less susceptible to temperature variations. H4895 is made in Australia. IMR4895 is made in Canada.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    I got the impression that it was developed around making the .30-06 cartridge launch a 152gr. FMJ bullet at 2800 + 50 f/s in the M1 Garand rifle, without bending its operating rod from excessive port pressure. In the process, it proved to be a rather versatile rifle propellant. It was also my impression that another company that was contracted to provide propellant for the same application devised a propellant later known as IMR-4064, for the same purpose, but I could have that wrong.
    IMR4064 was introduced in 1935 before the advent of IMR4895. It had the general shape characteristics of 3031, I.E. long grains. While it was an excellent powder in the 30-06 with 150 - 180 gr bullets (at that time) it did not meter consistently through powder measures, especially those in automatic loading machines.

Some believed 4895 was developed as a similar substitute powder that would measure consistently through the automated loading machines but I've seen no confirmation of that.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    H4895 is pretty much the same as IMR4895 but is just a tudge faster burning in most top end applications. With cast bullet loads there's not much difference at all. H4895 is smaller kernelled and meters through powder measures more accurately. H4895 is also an "Extreme" powder so it is less susceptible to temperature variations. H4895 is made in Australia. IMR4895 is made in Canada.
    Thank you for the explanation. You are a wealth of knowledge.

yeah,lots of knowledge round here! I didn't know h4895 was made in Australia , is all imr stuff made in Canada, and all hodgdon stuff made in Australia?

Banned

no they just moved production of many AADI [Australian defense industry's] powders to Canada.
    their burn rates slightly changed as did some of the colors of the powders.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    no they just moved production of many AADI [Australian defense industry's] powders to Canada.
    their burn rates slightly changed as did some of the colors of the powders.
    Will help w/ availability but it makes things even more confusing when it comes to Hodgdon's line of powders. It's why I stick to a select few, most of which are made by St. Marks.