MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee Precision
WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Repackbox
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who likes 22 Short?

Boolit Master
    I love em they work great for those pesky squirrels that have been eating my tomatoes all summer! I use a Heritage arms single action 22 revolver . I recently found out that this idiot that lives near me has been feeding the tree rats cause he thinks they’re cute ! Another neighbor just had to have his roof and Attic repaired because they got inside and tore the place up while he was away on vacation. I don’t have the heart to tell this person that the tree rat population has dropped due to me taking them out a half dozen at a time!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Quote Originally Posted by poppy42 View Post
    I don’t have the heart to tell this person that the tree rat population has dropped due to me taking them out a half dozen at a time!
    Hahaha I'm trying to dodge a similar conversation with our neighbors regarding the local deer population, sure the neighbors think they're cute feeding in their yard but here on our farm, we see them as meat just waiting to jump in the freezer.
    There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences.
    – P. J. O’Rourke

Boolit Master

After reading this thread about how quiet shorts are I went out back with my Henry 16" carbine. Loaded a short,CCI quiet LR,short,and finally an Aguila standard velocity LR. CCI quiet was the most quiet and to my ears, the Winchester shorts were about the same noise level as Aguila SV LR.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Banned
    I grew up with a Winchester Model 1906 Pump gallery gun Short only. I couldn't figure out why they even made longs and long rifles. Shorts did everything a kid needed as far as small game was concerned.
    Now I am reloading 22lr ammo. I found pretty quickly that there is way too much room in a LR for the powder. If the cases would hold the pressure, You could load 22lr to shoot 2000 fps with a 40 grain bullet.
    So, I'm thinking that it would be easy to load a short to shoot 1400 fps with a 26 grain slug.
    Again, with the limits on the strength of the brass being in that range, Why even bother making long rifles?
    I haven't done it yet but someday I am going to make a pinch cutter for 22 rim fire brass and start cutting down lr cases to produce 22 Shorts in the 1100fps range. Would love to get one of those little 22 short only semi auto pistols for hand loads.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    If that's all the bigger they were we wouldn't have bothered shooting them. The ones here could carry off cows! Dad had us kids shooting them through the eyes since that was the only way to make sure you got a brain shot. The coyotes and coons loved the carcasses.
    If my Dad was still alive , he'd tell you about the time in WWII when he was in the south pacific at an air base . It was night time when a couple of bombers landed and needed a load of fuel and munitions . The ground crew said they filled them with gas and bombs and they took of before anyone realized they were skeeters and not made by DeHaviland either !

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

During the .22 ammo panic we scored some CCI short hv hp. They print a bit lower than the R-P but my Rem 581-S likes them.......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    The first rifle I got to shoot was my dad's Remington 241 that he bought new in 1948-9. It was 22 short only. He hunted squirrel and duck a lot. I asked why didn't he get one for long rifle? He said the 22 short ammo was cheaper. I have that rifle now and it is still a pleasure to shoot.

A small Philips screw driver into the hollow point and they pop open very well.
    Good medicine for head lighting.

Boolit Buddy
    I had an old stevens crackshot for a few years. I bought it for grins and giggles. Shot mainly shorts through it as even after cleaning, 22lrs got hung up. Accuracy wasn't any good but the barrel was so pitted it didn't make a difference.

Boolit Master
    Digital Dan always makes me smile with his "Short" Stories....

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...d-to-22-shorts

I used them as a kid with a Marlin 39A Golden....26 at a load... Took a lot of rabbits and squirrels with them...

Bob

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rbt50 View Post
    I have a high stander 22 short pistol that I have had for years. I haven't shot it in about 20 years maybe it is time to take it out.
    Does your HS look like this one. It's a Model C, from the 1930s and shoots shorts only. It's been in the family since right after WWII. When we used to have Turkey shoots with handguns, I'd compete with the HS. Lots of fun.

My 1st 22 was n an Iver Johnson single shot. I used shorts almost exclusively in it for years -- they were cheaper and still killed Jack Rabbits.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry in MT View Post
    Does your HS look like this one. It's a Model C, from the 1930s and shoots shorts only. It's been in the family since right after WWII. When we used to have Turkey shoots with handguns, I'd compete with the HS. Lots of fun.

My 1st 22 was n an Iver Johnson single shot. I used shorts almost exclusively in it for years -- they were cheaper and still killed Jack Rabbits.

Wow, that's a beauty. Congratulations.

Boolit Master
    Just got a Stevens 15 A single shot bolt action, main reason I brought it home was to shoot .22 shorts. Have a Marlin model 60 but shorts really don't do well in it. Next on the list is to track down some .22 shorts for plinking.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    i will not swear to it but i think i read a story in an american rifleman about the short performing just as good as a long rifle in short barreled pistols because of more complete powder burn. this would have been probably a good 30 years ago.

Boolit Master

I like the CB Shorts. Nice and quiet. They will thump a squirrel with authority. The beauty of the CB Short is that when fired they are so quiet the birds keep chirping and squirrels keep chattering for the most part. Long Rifle or 410/20/12 gauge and the whole woods go quiet.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Grand Master
    Used a HS short pistol for ISU Rapid Fire competition about 45 years ago. I could not afford the Walther so I was "stuck" with the HS. Great little gun too. Never hunted with shorts as I figured more was better. Even back then, shorts were either the same or more expensive than LR IIRC.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Man after my heart. I bought another 62A last year after a 50 year dry spell of not owning one. Looked everywhere for shorts and finally found a box of CCIs at I think close to $9. I remember when I had the other 62A, shorts were $.50 a box and that was Peters ammo. Love to find some cheap shorts but not again in this lifetime. My favorite "frog" bullet was the .22 Short HP.

Had a friend once with a Walther .22 Short match pistol. The .22 Short Match ammo available in Europe was non-existent here and our .22 Short was woefully inaccurate./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

If anyone wants .22 shorts and can't find them, the prices at Target Sports USA includes free shipping.--->>> https://www.targetsportsusa.com/22-s...mmo-c-199.aspx

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by arcticap View Post
    If anyone wants .22 shorts and can't find them, the prices at Target Sports USA includes free shipping.--->>> https://www.targetsportsusa.com/22-s...mmo-c-199.aspx
    The last time I was at Walmart they had them.

Boolit Master
    I have not seen .22 shorts, nor CB caps for years.

I would get some if I came across them. If only just for nostalgic reasons... Like to show my sons & grandboys.

Pretty cool that they are still available in some areas & some of you can get them easily enough.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast