Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
WidenersRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another mouse in the house

Boolit Grand Master

Another mouse in the house

My cat brought another mouse in the house.
    She catches it outside and lets it go inside.
    Chases it around until she get tired, then just lets it go.
    Set the trap out, again.

Boolit Master

Kinda sounds as though she has it backwards......get a mongoose. The Kahuku's are right behind you.Unless someone moved them.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Perma-Banned
    Sounds like she is trying to stock the inside with live food! If she kills it, she has to eat it before it spoils, turn it loose in the house and catch him another day!

Banned

We seem to have one in the house this Winter I have been unable to catch. Have three cats in the house, all declawed, not sure any of them would know what to do with one. The big outside tomcat sure would and he's probably why more don't get in with us living way out in the sticks.

Sounds like your kitty thinks it's a game. Skip feeding her once or twice and see what happens.

Boolit Grand Master

We get them in the Winter. My Wife keeps a clean house but we live in farming country. Once the crops behind the house get harvested the mice seek other cover. I just keep a few traps set. They don't hurt anything but they knaw into things like the sacks of bird seed and potting soil. Its funny in a way. My Wife will shoot a 300# deer and rub on its fur but she totally freaks out over a mouse in a trap!

Boolit Grand Master
    The cat needs replacing.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Cats learn quickly. So do many other predator pets. We had mice getting in our house, turns out my builder left a gap in the dry wall in the garage. I fixed it once I found it. However we had a cat and a ferret. Found both of them catching and killing the mice. Pretty sure the ferret had never been outside to learn the art. She just figured it out. The cat would leave the carcass where I could find it, stepped on at least two of them. The ferret would stash them with her other toys.

Rosewood
    Evangelical, deplorable redneck and proud of it.

Banned

"... keep a few traps set..."

Makes sense
    It works 100 % of the time
    Killed many, many mice

Boolit Master
    Quote "Sounds like she is trying to stock the inside with live food! If she kills it, she has to eat it before it spoils, turn it loose in the house and catch him another day! "

Prepper cat!
    R.D.M.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    The cat needs replacing.
    Dverna has the right answer.

Last year I had a terrible problem with mice in the house, I caught well into double digits maybe triple digits with various traps. This year I have only seen about three mice all winter long.

The difference? I imported a couple of live action mouse traps, aka cats, from outside.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I was brought up on a farm and we still live on the backside of it. Mice were an ever present problem, especially in the fall when the crops wee cut and cold weather drove a lot of them indoors. We have traps set all the time. Years ago, my wife had a really nice cat that we loved dearly. He used to go on the prowl at night in the house. He would evidently hut a mouse, play with it and then kill it . BUT . he always left them as "surprises" for us. Once between the seat cushions of the sofa and another, tucked down in my wife's knitting basket. Obviously, he was very proud of his accomplishments . . . us? . . . not so much about the way he chose to let us know about his "kills". I really don't miss having cats . . . I'm a dog person.

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    The cat needs replacing.
    LOL! Another option!

Boolit Grand Master

While not a mouse I had a hound that would kill woodchucks on the farm. He normally left them on the second step up at the back door. Ussually the night before you were running late for work the next morning. Took several falls stepping on them going to the car. LOL. But He got rid of a lot of woodchucks over the years.

Boolit Master
    I have a friend who sets mousetraps in his barn. Freezes the mice and when he has enough, he lets them thaw a little and puts them in a blender. Makes coyote lure for his traps. You can imagine my reaction when he told me.

Boolit Buddy
    Makes good catfish bait too. Now if you really want to keep the mice out. Find yourself
    a baby skunk, have it dissented, spayed and get rabies shots. Raised from a baby they
    are friendlier than a cat and they love to catch mice. For some reason the mice will find
    out a skunk is around and just disappear. Treat them like a cat, same food and they train
    to a litter box. Next best is a ferret if you don't find a baby skunk
    webfoot10

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by webfoot10 View Post
    Makes good catfish bait too. Now if you really want to keep the mice out. Find yourself
    a baby skunk, have it dissented, spayed and get rabies shots. Raised from a baby they
    are friendlier than a cat and they love to catch mice. For some reason the mice will find
    out a skunk is around and just disappear. Treat them like a cat, same food and they train
    to a litter box. Next best is a ferret if you don't find a baby skunk
    webfoot10
    Unfortunately, in Montana it isn't legal to keep a skunk as a pet. I have had them years ago, that hadn't been descented. Never had a problem of them spraying around the house, although you could still smell a strong musk to them.
    I've had a half dozen ferrets, none would hunt worth a darn. Must have fed them too well. They stink too, but a bath about once a week takes care of that problem.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    One of our cats brought in a rat ,had a job to get it out of the house that night .couldn't shoot it .cleaning rod and broom got it .

Boolit Master

My big grey tabby was running along the fence with a squirrel in his mouth. I had to cut him off at the doggie door as he was going to bring it in the house. It was dead, and later I buried it in the back. He is a big cat.

Moderator Emeritus

Before Tigger died he was my mouser, he would bring me a live one as a gift... in my bed! Ever have a mouse loose under the covers? Yeah a lot of swearing and I think Tigger sat back and laughed at me until I finally got the mouse off the bed. Then he would catch and kill it.

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Before Tigger died he was my mouser, he would bring me a live one as a gift... in my bed! Ever have a mouse loose under the covers? Yeah a lot of swearing and I think Tigger sat back and laughed at me until I finally got the mouse off the bed. Then he would catch and kill it.
    LOL! Me and Tigger would have problems!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast