Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersSnyders Jerky
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 32-20 mold

Boolit Mold

32-20 mold

I've been casting with a Lyman 311008 mold but would like to try a mold with a gas check, same bullet weight. any recommendations? I have a late model Marlin 1894 and prefer shooting loads in the 1300-1500 fps range. I've been getting 4-inch groups at 50 yards with the Lyman bullet over 10 gr of IMR 4227.

They make the same thing with a check shank. 311316? Maybe. Anyhow, it's out there. If not Lyman then NOE or Accurate can fix you up. Me, I just paper patch them when I want them to go at high speed.

Boolit Master

I used a Pat Malin .30PB GC on my 311008HP and it did well./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master
    Yes, 311316 is the GC mold. I've got a new, old stock, Ideal, in the Orange box. Double cavity. I've never had the need for speed, but this one would do it.

I had Tom at Accurate Molds make me a 310115J. It's 115 Gr. with a gas check and works great in my old Marlin '94.

Quote Originally Posted by bosterr View Post
    I had Tom at Accurate Molds make me a 310115J. It's 115 Gr. with a gas check and works great in my old Marlin '94.
    Snap , Tom made me the same mold but I required a .315 to fit my 32-20.
    Having played around with it for a while I have decided to send it off to Eric at Hollowpoint to have it plain based, I have no need for speed in this old rifle anyway so cutting out the GC step is just fine for my needs.
    It's a goodly designed boolit and does perform well ,,, ymmv.
    Keep breathing , it's good for ya...

Boolit Master

Mine, a model 53 Browning, likes the Lee "soupcan" as everyone here calls it. It is a 30ish cal mold but drops coww large enough to size for 32/20. And the mold is cheap. I think I size .313 IIRC.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    For standard velocity .32-20 rifle or revolver loads for the old guns, using smokeless powder, this is the one I use:

Attachment 223335

Accurate 31-105T is a double-crimp-groove design of correct diameter to fit typical .32 S&W Long, .32 Colt New Police and .32-20 revolvers made before WW2.

Seat bullets out long and crimp in the rear crimp groove for .32 S&W Long and Colt New Police.

Use the front crimp groove to maintain factory overall ctg. length in the .32-20 and .32 H&R Magnum.

In the .32 S&W Long and .32 Colt New Police load 2.3-2.5 grains of Bullseye.
    Do not exceed in pre-1957 guns.

In the .32-20 Winchester or .32 H&R Magnum load 3.3-3.5 grains of Bullseye. In .32 H&R Magnum brass with the deep seating, velocity closely approximates factory loads. In .32-20 brass do not exceed in 1873 Winchester, Colt Police Positive, Army Special or S&W .32 Hand Ejectors made before 1918, not having heat treated cylinders!

The above loads do not exceed SAAMI MAP and approximate the velocity of WW2-era factory loads.

I cast bullets 50-50 wheelweights and plumber's lead with 1% tin added, lube with Lee Liquid Alox diluted with equal parts by liquid volume of mineral spirits, just enough to turn bullets a uniform brassy color (don't worry about filling the lube grooves) then size .314" using the Lee push-through die.

Attachment 223336

The bullet profile is a close match to pre-WW2 factory bullets for the .32 Colt New Police and .32-20.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 07-07-2018 at 12:08 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Arsenal makes a copy of the lyman 311008 in 3 different styles. Flat base,gas check, or both.