Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Wideners

Thread: Lyman Spar T

Boolit Master

Lyman Spar T

I found a spar T and 55 measure.Got it all set up.And I'm not sure I like it.Just don't know yet.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Boolit Grand Master

Any new to me equipment has a learning curve. Give it some time and yourself a little experience before you decide. If it is used make sure everything is tight.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

New press, new process, new feel. Give it time and use it, play around with it. Many different ways to use it as it's very versatile. Did you get the priming parts to go along with it? Anyways even if you decide you hate it I doubt you'll lose any money on it.

Boolit Master
    The Spar T is not my primary press but I keep a depriming die and others set up depending on what I am doing. I took it off the bench and mounted a RCBS JR. for a while but missed it so back it went. Sometimes it is set up for 38-357 when working on loads to save die changes.

It is usually not used to size rifle cases. Mine has a position that is tighter than the rest so that one is used for any sizing I do. You can tighten the nut and leave it in one position.

I have had mine for 20 some years and got the primer tools and the primer catcher, it will not be for sale anytime soon. I felt the same way when I first got it.

Dave

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    I found a spar T and 55 measure.Got it all set up.And I'm not sure I like it.Just don't know yet.
    You're obviously going to hate it, Taylor. Best you just go ahead and send it to me for proper disposal. I won't even charge you anything to get rid of it for you and might even send you a Lee Classic or something for your trouble.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    The Lyman 55 powder measure is one of the better measures available.I have four of them.If you have an older one with the threaded powder reservoir the reservoir from the current Lyman black powder measure will fit and Buffalo Arms has their own threaded reservoir that will fit.A chart for initial settings can be found with a Google search.
    I have a Spar T press as well as a T Mag II press.I use them for pistol reloading but they work fine for rifle cases as well.The Spar T is more convenient to use with a homemade wedge under the base to make it set upright.The turret nut can be tightened to adjust play in the turret.I set mine so it takes a bit of effort to rotate the turret.My RCBS turret press has more flex in the turret than the Lymans but it assembles excellent ammo.

Boolit Master
    make SURE you keep the back stud nut tight against the bottom of turret . Leave the jamb nut loose and just back the top bolt out snug when using
    the weak point of those were the center bolt.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    You're obviously going to hate it, Taylor. Best you just go ahead and send it to me for proper disposal. I won't even charge you anything to get rid of it for you and might even send you a Lee Classic or something for your trouble.

Froggie
    I bought it in Va.,along hwy 52 at a flea market.

Boolit Master

I got the priming arm.And I like the wedge idea.

Boolit Master
    I believe some of the older Spar T's didn't have the adjustment on the back stud.On those if the turret is flexing use a shim between the stud and the turret.

Boolit Master

Do you have a pic,so I might have a better idea KenT?

Still ain't made up my mind though.If I decide to get rid of it,measure and all,it will be for trade.

Boolit Master

...getting closer to kicking it out!

Boolit Master

I have two on my bench I just for my pistols here's a pic of the top on mine Attachment 202850
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Man
    I've been using a Spar T for about 25 yrs and really like it. I use the press primer system and a powder through die so a shell goes in and a finished round comes out. The only change I made to the press is drilling/tapping the turret to receive a long bolt to make a handle like the newer T Mag presses. I found a round ball for outboard motor controls at the marine store and epoxied it to the bolt head. That made turning the turret way more convenient.

Boolit Master

I started loading on a SparT back around 1970 and still have it on my bench with it's original priming system. I have a Redding powder measure mounted between the expander die and seat die and like the poster above have 2 bolts tapped into the head for easy turning. I've loaded .243,.308 and currently 30-30 along with small batch pistol loadings. I too load each shell to completion by turning the turret. They are excellent presses and I've bought a couple on the board here for friends. My main pistol loading is done on two CH Autochamps.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle