Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Savage 340 30-30

Savage 340 30-30

Gentlemen:

Went into a pawn shop that I never go to looking for a 30-30 lever gun and the only thing they had was a Savage 340 in 30-30. Walnut stock w/no scratches. 99% blue except in the magazine area. A barrel band . Dockendorf front and rear sights, which look kinda strange. Ran a patch through it w/Hoppes and then a couple of dry patches. Came out real clean and the bore looks bright and shiney.

Best he would do was $145 + the background check. Was that a good price and could it be made to work w/cast boolits? No serial number in sight, so how do I tell the age.

Ha! EAT YER HEARTS OUT.

)

BTW, no idea what Dockendorf sights are.

Cast Boolits Owner

That was a great deal. People don't give these little guns the credit they deserve. I have passed up a couple while looking for the perfect candidate for a conversion to 375 Win. One day I will find mine. Please post pics.

R.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

I will post pics when I figure out how.

Is the 340 a candidate for conversion to 375 Winchester? Would not do this one but u never can tell what would come up. This thing is so clean and looks as if it has not had 2 boxes shot thru it so I am not going to mess w/it.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by no_1 View Post
    That was a great deal. People don't give these little guns the credit they deserve. I have passed up a couple while looking for the perfect candidate for a conversion to 375 Win. One day I will find mine. Please post pics.

R.

Boolit Grand Master
    I had Jesse Ocumpaugh rebore mine and rechamber it to 38-55. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. Plus, I picked up a kind of junker one, so have an extra 30-30 barrel if I want to change it.

Boolit Master

I would say it was a sweet deal, the 340 was my first centerfire rifle and I wish I still had it. I want to say that the serial number is at the base of the barrel but I'm sure the two posters above know better as it has been a number of years.
    Michael

Cast Boolits Owner

Sure, Why Not?

I don't see why not. As you know the .375 win is a blown out 30-30 so to speak and the other poster has one that is bored to 38-55. I think I would get another barrel already chambered to .375 Win and save the 30-30 barrel. One of the beauties of the Savage line is th3 barrel nut which make barrel changes fairly easy. I am sure if you search / ask, you will get responses from those that are experienced with Savage barrel changes.
    Here is a link to a exploded view of the rifle with a parts list. http://www.wisnersinc.com/exploded_views/Savage_340.htm

R.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Well I have more questions now:

1 - Anybody know about Dockendorff sights? Front globe w horizontal wire and a VERY small dot. Rearsight has a SMALL half circle notch and the elevation adjustment is a wheel with markings from zero to 5. Fits in the original dovetail.

2 - There are 2 screw holes on the left side of the action. One at the bolt handle +/- and the other 1 1/4" or so to the rear.

3 - Loads; I have 311284, 309200R lee and 311041 GC off the group buy. Thinking of the RD 165 also. I have 4227, Unique, 2495, 4895, 335 and RL7 powders and am interested in a load in the 1500 fps range plus something in the 1800 + fps range for deer and Mr Pig.

Took the thing apart and there is no sign of a serial #.

There is one action screw and another screw at the forend of the stock that fits into a band.

Folks at the shop seemed to think it is a pre 68 mfg.

Don

Well. I finally found on the Wisners site that the Dockendorff sights were at one point standard on the Stevens 325 series. They had a pic of the rear sight.

Don

Boolit Master

Don,

These rifles used a "side mount" scope base. The scope was over the bore but the base was mounted on the left side of the receiver.

Parts in the drawing...
    http://www.e-gunparts.com/productsch...0%20SERIES%20E
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Savage 340E.jpg  
    Michael

AHAA. I was hoping for that as I don't want to drill the receiver. Anyone have any idea where the base can be found and I wonder if there was a base for a peep sight like the redfield target series?

)

Quote Originally Posted by Ranch Dog View Post
    Don,

These rifles used a "side mount" scope base. The scope was over the bore but the base was mounted on the left side of the receiver.

Parts in the drawing...
    http://www.e-gunparts.com/productsch...0%20SERIES%20E

It appears Weaver makes mounts and rings.

seabreeze133 .... I currently have a Springfield Mod. 840 in .30-30 cal. This is the "cheap" version of what you have. The barrel is 18 1/2" & all the load data listed below is from this carbine. If you have the longer rifle the same loads should clock a little faster for you. I have made a .38/55 & a .35/30-30 from previous Mod. 340s. Works just fine. I would not attempt the .375 Win, even though mechanically it's as easy as the .38/55. It is equipped with a 2 1/2x Burris scope that is probably decades older than the carbine. BTW, I purchased the carbine in 1983 for $25.00 in front of a Pawn Shop after the Pawnbroker refused to give him anything for it due to a broken stock. Then I traded a Beagle puppy for the scope & mounts to a "best friend" & enjoyed training & hunting with the Beagle for the next 15 years. But that's another story. Here's a mess of loads. Be aware of the #311284 when it comes to OAL. The magazine in my carbine is such that I have to adhere to the 2.55"OAL. This means the GC is sticking below the shoulder when loaded. Dosen't hurt a thing. You might get away with a bit longer. I eventually modified the #311284 to a top pour mold, & while doing so I made the cutoff sprue into the size metplate that would allow me to seat the boolet out a bit. The rest of the loads present no problem.
    Remington cases dedicated to this firearm. Fireformed & neck sized only. Remington LR Primers. Boolits are straight WW.

1. #311284 (unmodified) 210.0 grs. 33.0 grs IMR 4350 - 1786 fps.
    2. #311284 (modified) 200.0 grs. 33.0 grs IMR 4350 - 1802 fps.
    3. #310195 Old West 195.0 grs. 34.0 grs IMR 4350 - 1871 fps.
    4. #313492 (wadcutter) 93.0 grs. 4.6 grs Unique - never cron. this load. 5 shots in one ragged hole at 25 yards.
    5. #311291 185.0 grs. 33.0 grs IMR 4350 - 1818 fps.
    6. #311291 185.0 grs. 33.0 grs IMR 4831 - 1727 fps.
    7. #311291 185.0 grs. 34.0 grs IMR 4831 - 1825 fps.
    oksmle

Thank u this will be a big help.

I probably wont change this gun at all as it is really too nice. But if I run across another in good condition, it could become a 38/55.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by oksmle View Post
    seabreeze133 .... I currently have a Springfield Mod. 840 in .30-30 cal. This is the "cheap" version of what you have. The barrel is 18 1/2" & all the load data listed below is from this carbine. If you have the longer rifle the same loads should clock a little faster for you. I have made a .38/55 & a .35/30-30 from previous Mod. 340s. Works just fine. I would not attempt the .375 Win, even though mechanically it's as easy as the .38/55. It is equipped with a 2 1/2x Burris scope that is probably decades older than the carbine. BTW, I purchased the carbine in 1983 for $25.00 in front of a Pawn Shop after the Pawnbroker refused to give him anything for it due to a broken stock. Then I traded a Beagle puppy for the scope & mounts to a "best friend" & enjoyed training & hunting with the Beagle for the next 15 years. But that's another story. Here's a mess of loads. Be aware of the #311284 when it comes to OAL. The magazine in my carbine is such that I have to adhere to the 2.55"OAL. This means the GC is sticking below the shoulder when loaded. Dosen't hurt a thing. You might get away with a bit longer. I eventually modified the #311284 to a top pour mold, & while doing so I made the cutoff sprue into the size metplate that would allow me to seat the boolet out a bit. The rest of the loads present no problem.
    Remington cases dedicated to this firearm. Fireformed & neck sized only. Remington LR Primers. Boolits are straight WW.

1. #311284 (unmodified) 210.0 grs. 33.0 grs IMR 4350 - 1786 fps.
    2. #311284 (modified) 200.0 grs. 33.0 grs IMR 4350 - 1802 fps.
    3. #310195 Old West 195.0 grs. 34.0 grs IMR 4350 - 1871 fps.
    4. #313492 (wadcutter) 93.0 grs. 4.6 grs Unique - never cron. this load. 5 shots in one ragged hole at 25 yards.
    5. #311291 185.0 grs. 33.0 grs IMR 4350 - 1818 fps.
    6. #311291 185.0 grs. 33.0 grs IMR 4831 - 1727 fps.
    7. #311291 185.0 grs. 34.0 grs IMR 4831 - 1825 fps.
    oksmle

Boolit Master
    I have several 340/840 rifles. 22 hornet, 222 and 30-30. Nice guns! There was also arifle chambered for the rare 225 winchester. Am kinda looking for one but won't pay the price I've seen on gun broker!

Reason for this post: Yes the 340 series gun uses a Barrel nut to hold on the barrel unfortunately it is a smaller size than the Savage 110/112 series guns!

I have never seen a barrel nut wrench for sale for the 340 series guns, the 840 I had actually used a spanner wrench, and would be interested in one if it were to surface.

I will suggest that you keep an eye peeled for one as well if your planning on doing any 340 re barreling.

I was actually thinking of a 340 in 30-30 converted to 7-30 Waters with a 24 inch mid weight barrel and, with right twist for light boolits, this could ber a great varmint / deer gun!

Well now Numrich Arms has the base and rings and the photo looks as it is the factory stuff. $20.10. Ordered the scope mount and rings along w/a spare magazine. Supposed to be in mid next week.

If I find the time to load, I plan to try the 3 molds I have plus Nosler 125 BT and will report back............if it shoots. ) Otherwise ...real quiet on this end. Course quiet may mean I am having to work.

Super Moderator

..............You might consider this as a means to unscrew the barrel nut on the 340 series rifles. Try some box end wrenches until you find one that will barely fit over the nut. Heat the end of the wrench to a medium red and hold it there for a couple minutes. Hang the wrench from a wire with the hot end down inside an empty 303 size can, or bury the end in dry ashes or sand. In a couple hours it will be ready to drill and tap for a setscrew.

Wrap a piece of brass strip (from the hobby shop or shim stock) around the nut and then fit the box end over the brass. Run the setscrew down until good and tight.

.................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master
    I recently picked up a Stevens 325C in 30-30, it has the flat butter knife bolt handle, is not drilled and tapped for scope, so will be installing a Williams FP340 receiver aperture sight on it. It is in great shape with perfect bore, I could not abide the varnished light blond beech stock so redid it, also gas bedded the recoil lug as the rather thin wood web has a propensity for cracking.

Savage only mfg the Stevens 325 series (A, B, C, have read there was an S) for 3 years from 1947-50, then Savage stamped it as the 340 series (and sold under various other labels) until 1984. Remington incorporated many features of the 325-340 into their model 788, and later the 700.

I really like the 325 and 340, they are not pretentious, just rock solid little hunting rifles, in 30-30 with cast boolits, this 325 is tack driver. But it will not be mine for long, the wife paid for it and after shooting it, she now says it is hers, as it fits her better than any rifle she has ever shot.

Boolit Master
    I really like that butter knife bolt!

Did some looking around late last year and came up with two that I could put on my 22 hornet and the 222. These bolts clear a 3x9 scope much better than the originals!

In case your wondering the bolt is made in several sections so all I had to do was pull it apart and switch out the bolt handle itself, never affected the headspace.

Boolit Master
    I have the 325 model with the butter knife bolt too. It's a little hard to work compared to a big old bolt on other CF rifles but looks cool.

The thing with unscrewing the barrel is like this. Find a steel rod that matches the contour of the nut flutes and cut pieces to fit into each flute. Then wrap a hose clamp around this and use a pipe wrench on the hose clamp. I heard of this either on this site or somewhere and it works well.
    Last edited by Newtire; 08-07-2008 at 09:10 PM. Reason: moving to another thread

Boolit Master

Range Report:

Picked up a Lyman 311466 (160 gr Loverin GC) mould not too long ago and finally got around to test firing a few loads in my 340 30-30 this afternoon. Got what I felt were reasonable results with both 17.5 gr 2400 and 24 gr. IMR4198...2" (+/-) @ 100 yds but last load was a real eye-opener.

19.0 gr AA5744 put first five rounds into just under an inch which is just about what I get with CBs in my McGowan-barreled M700. Second group printed just a hair over an inch so I switched to clean target and fired the rest of the batch...10 rounds into 1.10! Didn't have the chrono set up but POI was about the same as the 4198 loads so I'm guessing that the velocity is around 1600 fps. Gonna load another batch with the same charge and see what it does @ 200 yds...and chrono a few at the same time. Should have further results some time next week but looks like I've got me a pretty fair gopher gun.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast