RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed: Dealing with feral & stray dogs

Banned

yup and there at work claiming that your paid to basically goof off at your job too. totally bs argument!!!!!!!!! Funny how a couple of you together here have experienced more dog attacks then ive seen in the local papers in my whole life. I think if a dog barks at some of you you pee your pants.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufus Krile View Post
    There seems to be a genuine acceptance that critter problems are best handled by animal control officers... In many cases, these are the same folks that are paid by the city to nap in the park or behind a business. Several years ago there was a large Chow in the neighborhood that ran loose twice a day... very aggressive dog... Walked out my front door one day and it made a run at me... while its owner stood on the side walk and laughed about it. I reminded him of the local leash law and pointed out that, if I had to, I would kill his dog bare handed before beating the **** out of him for making me do it. He continued to laugh. Two days later, same dog chased my two daughters on their bikes. After admonishment from my wife, I called animal control. By the time he got there the dog was already back in his house. Animal control said "nothing he could do" if the dog wasn't out. I told him the dog's schedule was before 0800 and after 1700 and he explained that he doesn't work at those ungodly hours. I asked him if he was the one that had to pick a dead dog up out of the street. Nope. I told him not to worry about it then... I'd just shoot the SOB. He said that I couldn't DO that. Told him I was a pretty good shot... "But you'd go to jail!" Told him I'd sooner go to jail than let my daughters get chewed up by the outlaw Chow. He reluctantly agreed to do his job. I still left the miscreant the message that I would shoot his dog on sight even if it was tied to him on a short leash. He walked it in a different neighborhood after that. We need to keep in mind what we're discussing here. Dogs.... and people. A dog bite is bad. A dog attack is a whole 'nother thing.

Banned

don't think that's cruel. Shooting him in the but with a 22 sure would have been though. You taught a dog a lesson. Maybe a bit harsh of a lesson but you did no long term damage to it. Was maced myself a couple times in the service and I lived through it just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    When I was about 11 or 12, I had a paper route that I carried on my bicycle. There was a big boxer at one house I passed that always made a run at me. Usually I ignored him and he would leave me alone. One day he decided to take a bite out of my ankle. The next day I filled a water gun(you remember the little plastic ones) with a solution of water and ammonia(not very strong. When he came for dessert, I squirted him as fast as I could with the ammonia solution. That "aggressive" dog yip-yipped all the way home. Never bothered me again.

I hope Lloyd doesn't consider that cruel.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    yup and there at work claiming that your paid to basically goof off at your job too. totally bs argument!!!!!!!!! Funny how a couple of you together here have experienced more dog attacks then ive seen in the local papers in my whole life. I think if a dog barks at some of you you pee your pants.
    Oh, Good Grief!
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Banned

Nope your wrong there. 90 percent of the dogs in the world are in a better league then most of you here with your sadistic minds. Problem is I shouldn't say that. Just like a dog it is a matter of how you were raised! Bottom line is BAD DOG=OWNER PERIOD! In 10 years of living the average dog gives more love to its owner then any of you have in you in 80 years. 8 years in the military and let me tell you theres many people id put down way before a innocent dog. A dog that cant fight back. takes a real man! You guys are a waste of time. I'm not going to fix whats been damaged a long time ago. You people don't need me you need a psychiatrist. Like I said anyone that condones feeding poison, antifreeze or gut shooting an animal isn't even a man in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by jcwit View Post
    Looks as tho we have a person putting animals in the same league as a human!

Like I said anyone that condones feeding poison, antifreeze or gut shooting an animal isn't even a man in my book.
    Hey there big boy, reply here where I claimed I'd condone any of the above?

Lets see it in big bold letters!

I buried more than a few feral cats last year, each one with a single shot to the head.

let me tell you theres many people id put down way before a innocent dog.
    So once again you claim to condone murder!

Now tell us who's sick! Claiming to be a soldier of God?

Banned

Smoke I appreciate you explaining yourself. You and I have disagreed in the past but i do repect you. I know sometimes a guy gets wrapped up in a post and says stuff he doesn't really mean. Unlike a few others here i know you your a good man. Maybe if i lived somewhere where feral dogs were a REAL problem and those places are very rare. Or if i owned a farm that i fed my kids with the income and dogs were killing my animals and i actually saw it with my own eyes. Not repeating what my cousins brothers sister saw in the news paper 3 countys away I might feel differently. But bottom line is theres a few here that need some counseling for there hatred. I kill ALOT OF ANIMALS. I shoot probably an average of 50 deer a year. Sometimes twice that. One thing though with me is i will NEVER take a marginal shot. If a 100 yards or less i will head shoot them. Any farther then that i bust both front shoulders and take out the heart. If i cant get a shot like that i walk away and wait for the next. 10 years of this and we have never lost a deer. We kill humanely. I ask nothing else here. If you were hunting with me and told me you took a gut shot because it was the only shot you had youd be riding home off the end of my foot!!! IF YOUR FEEL THE NEED to kill one of those dogs at a least have the class to put it down humanely. If you cant, let it go and wait till tomarrow. Only a coward would gut shoot one or poison one. Like ive said over and over. Its not that dogs fault. Its the idiot who put that dog in that situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    I believe LLoyd is passionate about dogs .. I get that and think that is just fine
    being cruel to an animal just to be cruel I don't stomach well either
    Now Again when they begin to threaten me, or mine my priorities change

PS LLoyd I live in farming country .. 36 acre farm (hopefully in the next 2 years 46 acres) surrounded by many 100's of acres
    my block is 6 miles around
    in that 6 mile trip there may be 20 houses total
    There are only 3 including mine in the first 2 miles
    maybe not as remote as you but just fine for me

Banned

didn't see where i used your name once anywhere.
    Hey there big boy, reply here where I claimed I'd condone any of the above?

Lets see it in big bold letters!

I buried more than a few feral cats last year, each one with a single shot to the head.

Banned

give it a rest! Your really grasping for straw.
    So once again you claim to condone murder!

Now tell us who's sick! Claiming to be a soldier of God?

didn't see where i used your name once anywhere.
    Used my quote, same thing!

give it a rest! Your really grasping for straw.
    It is what YOU said,is it not?

I have always thought "put down" ment to kill!

Boolit Grand Master

Chows are nasty and vicious. This thread appears to have descended into the typical argument between the same few that take over every thread. If a dog takes a run at me and is off of a lease I'm free to shoot the darn thing to protect myself. If it enters my yard I consider it hostile unless it walks up and sticks it's tongue out waiting to be petted. Knowing a dog is not of a friendly nature is not hard to tell if you watch the dog and know it's body language. If I had kids I'm not waiting for it to attack them, though. Unless the dog is known to me and wanders around to play with kids then it will get put down if it exhibits the least amount of agression. Period. People, control your dogs if they are in the habit of biting or threatening people.

As for that person that laughed when his dog took a run at me? Wouldn't have laughed when I shot it stone dead on the spot.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Lloyd - Same can be said for people that don't accept reality. Most of my life I have owned dogs as pets or as hunting dogs. Most of the problems with dogs stem from their owners. You apparently have never had to deal with the problems really bad owners create. What do you do when their are no legal options and talking to the owner does nothing??????????????

Approximately 3 to 4 millions dogs are euthanized per you in the US. About 2.5 millions are by animal shelters.

Please post your address so we can send some of these to you.

About twenty years ago a female friend moved to the county and started trying to save stray cats. At first it was just a few than word got out. She would come home and there would be boxes of cats in the drive way or loose cats running around.

I helped her build cages and various things for her and her self funded cat rescue. Though the years she found homes for 400 to 500 cats, however, some were too sick or had too bad of disposition to be placed. Every couple of months she would have me shoot those.

Her self funded cat rescue just about bankrupt her and drove her half nuts.

Hopefully you do better when we start sending them to you. Good luck.

Or aren't you man enough to put some action behind your mouth???
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 03-18-2017 at 08:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Chows are nasty and vicious. This thread appears to have descended into the typical argument between the same few that take over every thread. If a dog takes a run at me and is off of a lease I'm free to shoot the darn thing to protect myself. If it enters my yard I consider it hostile. If I had kids I'm not waiting for it to attack them. Unless the dog is known to me and wanders around to play with kids then it will get put down. Period. People, control your dogs if they are in the habit of biting or threatening people.

As for that person that laughed when his dog took a run at me? Wouldn't have laughed when I shot it stone dead on the spot.
    Agreed!

In Remembrance
    Some people are deathly afraid of a dog no matter the size or if it is mean or not.

A story of two guys I knew that turned out somewhat bad.
    We had a mechanic that kept his weimeramer with him all the time, if he was working at the yard it would run loose in the yard. The dog would run at everybody that pulled up and got out, barking like it was going to eat them, but just wanted petted when it got to you.
    One of our superintendients was afraid of dogs, it didn't matter ig it was poodle or chow, and told the mechanic if his dog ever chased him back into his pickup again he would kill it.
    It was just a matter of a week or so when he came to the yard and the dog was there and he shot it dead, The mechanic, who was a big boy came running at him and come very close to getting the same treatment. It took a while and there was never any love lost between them, but they did finally put it behind them.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    I will not lie , haven't read the last few pages of this topic , don't need to .

I trapped and hunted pert near all my youth (trying to cut this short , bear with me) .

Was 17 years old , my cousin who was quite a bit older than me asked me to come down to Lampasas TX . They had a problem with what then was called...Red Wolfs . Slang name back then for ferial dogs , they were killing sheep and goats wholesale . I love dogs , was unsure of killing them . Feral dogs ain't pets , seen up to 39 sheep killed in a night , when domestic dogs go wild in a pack it's unbelievable ..they are no longer pets but worse than coyotes . They will kill till they physically wear out ..they can't stop killing .

They only worked at night , they had no territory ...roamed on a circuit like wild hogs . You couldn't plan on them coming back to a kill , totally different animal . My trapping skill produced little .

Truly wild dogs ...kill em , you provide a mercy to them , eat up with parasites and pitiful . Just kill em .
    No turning back , No turning back !

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Boaz View Post
    . They had a problem with what then was called...Red Wolfs . Slang name back then for ferial dogs , they were killing sheep and goats wholesale . I love dogs , was unsure of killing them . Feral dogs ain't pets , seen up to 39 sheep killed in a night , when domestic dogs go wild in a pack it's unbelievable ..they are no longer pets but worse than coyotes . They will kill till they physically wear out ..they can't stop killing .
    Coyotes tend to be very efficient killers. When a pack of dogs goes after sheep lots of sheep will get bit and chunks of hair and hide pulled out. The kill site will generally look different. The struggle will be normally over a much larger area. The exception is young coyotes. It can be very difficult to tell their kills from a pack of dogs. A friend in my home town raised sheep in the 70's and 80's.

During lambing time hunting over the pregnant ewe's produced a lot of coyotes and more than one dog wanting to get in on a lamb dinner.

Banned
    351.26. Right and duty to kill untagged dog It shall be lawful for any person, and the duty of all peace officers within their respective jurisdictions unless such jurisdiction shall have otherwise provided for the seizure and impoundment of dogs, to kill any dog for which a rabies vaccination tag is required, when the dog is not wearing a collar with rabies vaccination tag attached.
    CREDIT(S)
    Amended by Acts 1961 (59 G.A.) ch. 193, § 9; Acts 1994 (75 G.A.) ch. 1173, § 33.

351.27. Right to kill tagged dog
    It shall be lawful for any person to kill a dog, wearing a collar with a rabies vaccination tag attached, when the dog is caught in the act of chasing, maiming, or killing any domestic animal or fowl, or when such dog is attacking or attempting to bite a person.
    CREDIT(S)

Amended by Acts 1994 (75 G.A.) ch. 1173, § 34; Acts 2007 (82 G.A.) ch. 111, S.F. 406, § 1.
    HISTORICAL AND STATUTORY NOTES2007 Electronic Update2007 LegislationActs 2007 (82 G.A.) ch. 111, S.F. 406, § 1, deleted "worrying," following "caught in the act of".

Code of Iowa on the subject where I live there are no animal control

Banned
    Lloyd Schmale,

FINE. Keep your pets on leash & OFF our farm. - In the event that we catch them "chasing stock", expect a .22 Hornet or .243WCF through their head or chest. = FACT.

yours, tex

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    I am not saying to kill your neighbors dog . If that is the case ...warn em . Chicken killin dogs can't be cured ..just a fact . Dogs that kill or torment livestock belong in town , not where they can not do damage .
    No turning back , No turning back !

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast