Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: which one is the most accurate and consistent beam scale

which one is the most accurate and consistent beam scale

Im gathering items to reload 45 colt as well as 30-30.Ill be using a single stage press for rifle loads so I need a beam scale. I have a digital which will be for double checks. Id like advice on which beam scales to look at and which ones to stay away from. Also there are many vintage or used scales on ebay is that a good resource or no.??? I dont mind spending more for one that will last 20 years. thanks
    "Make things as simple as possible, but no simpler" Albert Einstien

Reloading for fun or precision? You can spend lots for precision or less if your just reloading for target or practice rounds. I have a RCBS 505 I use for checking weights. Very easy setup and plenty accurate not to mention relatively cheap. Also get RCBS no BS warranty. Actually have 2 505's and a 10/10 but don't use it. My eyes are not good enough for precision tack driver loads. I suppose I should sell that to someone who will use it.

Boolit Grand Master

I wouldn't buy a used scale off eBay unless it is an RCBS. That is because of the warranty. They replaced a 1010 that I bought off eBay that would not keep a consistent measure.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

I also use a 5-0-5 RCBS that's nearly 40 years old. I check it at the beginning of each reloading session using check weights. Although I really don't need to. That scale is spot on each time and has been so for all this time.

So, the older 5-0-5 RCBS beam scales are proven champs.

I have no experience with the new ones but I've read that others think the new ones don't "measure up" (pun intended ) to the older ones. And where or what date the cut-off is, I'm not sure. Others may know better than I.

Bayou52
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"

Boolit Grand Master

I have a 30 year old RCBS 5-10 thats still going strong. Its the first scales I bought for reloading and one of my first new purchases. Almost everything else to load 222 rem was purchased used or given to me. Alot of things I made also. I highly recomend a set or 2 of the rcbs check wieghts to make sure X number of grains set on the sclles is x number of grains in real life. In setting to check weights like this even if the scales is off slightly you still throughing what you want since you set it to zero on the check weights. An easy way is to subtract down from your charge weight. IE 23.5 grns -.5 grns = 23 grns - 3 grns = 20 grns -20 grns = 0 your "stack up" of check weights to zero scales to.

Boolit Master
    I've used an RCBS 505 for 20 plus years. I had a Lyman that worked well but the had 5 grain main beam increments, the RCBS has 10 grain separations. I did manage to set the Lyman incorrectly and blow a primer pocket with a beyond max load. That was the reason for the switch. The 10 grain marks are easier to read for setup and much less likely to go unnoticed if incorrect when loading. The LEE scale has very limited capacity and is hard to use.

RCBS 10-10 made by Ohaus. Ive got two, bought two lost parts ones for $60. The other one is an original Ohaus still in the box.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rcbstune01.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	164175
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Master
    I have no issue buying scales from E-bay. Lets see in the last 6 months my purchases have included a Redding #1, Herters #5, RCBS first model,Lyman D5 and 7, Ohaus 505, Hornandy M and the Lee safety scale. Each one works as designed(a fact verified myself)with some more sensitive and easier to use then others. Yes they were tested with calibration weights. My favorite is the Lyman/Ohaus D5. The 10/10 and 5/10 will be purchased this year but doubt they will change my opinion(as that is what it is)Incidently all the scales and calibration weights were purchased on E-bay. I have not tried a beam scale made in the last 15 years (Lee aside) so can't comment from personal experience, but the beam scales made of late are not spoken of in high regard.
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

Ok thanks It does seem that RCBS 505 is the winner and a used vintage one with a warranty is a plus and something I didnt know about.
    "Make things as simple as possible, but no simpler" Albert Einstien

Boolit Master
    I have a RCBS 505, 2 RCBS 5-10s, 3 AMT/Lyman Autoscales (they have the same Ohaus beam of the RCBS 5-10), and the Lyman 500.

I have also used a Pacific/Hornady/Bair triple poise a lot before I gave it to my brother. Both of us like these old triple poise scales the most followed by the RCBS 505.

The worst scale works ok and that is the Lyman 500. I never liked the 2 poise system. I find everything about the scale kind of tedious though it weighs ok.
    EDG

Boolit Grand Master
    I've been using a Pacific/Hornady for over 25 years.
    Never had any problems with it.
    I got it because it was the heaviest one the shop had.
    Over the years I've used Lee, Reding, Dillon, RCBS 505 and Ohaus 10-10.
    I like my Pacific/Hornady the best.

Le Loup Solitaire
    I use a couple of Reddings with the brown crinkle finish...one of them came off of E-Bay, age unknown....the first one was bought new a long time ago. Both have always worked very well for me. I use a set of weighs to check them periodically and they remain spot on. I never used the oil dampener system, but am satisfied working without it. LLS

Boolit Master
    +1 for the RCBS 5-0-5 scale.

It's a decent balance beam scale, and it's from RCBS. I'd buy a used one in a heartbeat if ever needed another balance beam scale. If you ever have a problem with it, RCBS will bend over backwards to help you out.

- Bullwolf

Boolit Master
    I've never used the RCBS 10-10, but if I needed another beam scale, that would be a contestant.

I own and use an old Redding oil damped beam scale and a Ohaus 3100 Dial-O-Grain. If you can find a Ohaus 3100 I highly recommend it. They haven't been made in decades and are harder to find than hen's teeth.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

This RCBS 5-10 is easy to operate because the tenth grain adjustment is done by screwing the rotary weight rather than trying to catch a lightweight tab and drop it into a slot that my big fat mitt is hiding from sight. Whatever you buy…treat her gently…keep her clean.
    Attachment 164179Attachment 164180
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    I've got a 304 that I use everyday. 1110 grain capacity. I've had it for 20 years. If you don't need that much capacity, a 10-10 would be my next pick.

I have RCBS 5-0-5 and a lyman beam scale both made by Ohaus. I tossed out the electric scale I had. It would not scale consistently. It wasn't a spendy one but it should have ben more consistent than it was. I wont use electric again.

South of the Equator and North of Capricorn
    Same as mine I bought mine in the late 70's and it's still working perfectly .

Kev.

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    This RCBS 5-10 is easy to operate because the tenth grain adjustment is done by screwing the rotary weight rather than trying to catch a lightweight tab and drop it into a slot that my big fat mitt is hiding from sight. Whatever you buy…treat her gently…keep her clean.
    Attachment 164179Attachment 164180

Boolit Buddy

+1 on 5-0-5, dependable, accurate, 40+ years on my bench...

Boolit Buddy

RCBS 505 has been working great for me with 26 years on it

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast