MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline FabricationLee Precision
RepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lee 2 vs 6 cavity molds

Boolit Buddy

Lee 2 vs 6 cavity molds

Is there a quality difference between the lee 2 cavity and 6 cavity models or just the increase in production. I'm thinking I'm going to get the 430-310gr for my 44 and get back into casting but if quality isn't any different I'll probably just go with the cheaper 2 cavity one
    I'm bigger than you, I'm higher on the food chain! Get in my belly!

Boolit Master
    IMHO the 6-cavity Lee is an order of magnitude nicer than the 2-cavity. My only complaint about the 6-cavity is that it is not available in all the Lee styles.

Boolit Buddy
    I know consistency in size can vary between molds but what about between cavities on the 6.

I own about thirty Lee moulds, some two cavity and some six. Some I have are as good as the higher priced moulds, some have just been thrown in the trash. It's just not a sure thing with the Lee moulds. You pay the low price and take your chances. My opinion, the six cavity are well worth the extra but if you want a sure thing one cavity to the next. Buy Accurate or Noe moulds. Worth the extra. Gp

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by craveman85 View Post
    Is there a quality difference between the lee 2 cavity and 6 cavity models or just the increase in production. I'm thinking I'm going to get the 430-310gr for my 44 and get back into casting but if quality isn't any different I'll probably just go with the cheaper 2 cavity one
    I've found no finish difference in any of the lee aluminum molds produced at the same time frame. The 6 cavity molds heat differently and depending on rhythm may or may not give you issues. they are CNC cavities with vented faces. 2 or 6 cavities.

Boolit Buddy
    Someday I'll probably get a nice iron mold but I lost all my casting equipment about 5 years ago in a flood and have been on hiatus with cast loads since then. Have to rebuild my stash too. Used to have 1000+ lbs of wheel weight ingots but someone stole them all during the cleanup.

Boolit Master

Gotta love iron molds.I have a couple lyman and love them.

Boolit Master
    I just got a Lee 2 cavity mold. Cheap way to try 180 gr. boolits in my .308. Hoping it drops them @ .310 so I won't have to size aside from seating the gas check.

Boolit Master

What alloy are you going to run, that will effect what they drop at. Harder you go,vtge less shrinkage you will get. I like running gas checked Lyman #2 .

Boolit Buddy
    I have 10# of wheel weights and a10# downrigger ball and 10# of mystery alloy at the moment. Used to have over 1000# of wheel weight ingots but they got stolen after a flood 5 years ago. The woman has a bunch of those little print blocks I think they're antinomy laying around the house. I may steal a few of those.

The idea that you can pick-up a Lee mold for twenty buck is amazing...

Boolit Master

Current Lee 2cav molds are trash. They've cut the bottom outside edge off the mold blocks and their ability to retain consistent heat is severely reduced. I gave up on 1 pair of 44's I recently bought and tossed them.

Buy a 6cav or one from N.O.E. or ACCURATE. Their aluminum molds are GREAT. Whether they are 1cav or 5cav.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

The newer Lee molds seem to be inconsistent quality and are for low number count casting, meaning, they seem to wear out pretty quick. If I was gonna cast more than 1000 projectiles I would consider getting a better mold. I don't have a need for more than a 2 hole mold. One of my favorite molds is an old Lee single mold .312, 125 grain projectile. The aluminum block are damaged easily and the base area where the cups are pressed on gets damaged easily and then the sprue cutter gets a little loose and you end up with flash and it becomes extra work.

Boolit Master
    Yep, Lyman #2 is what I use for Alliant 2400 loads.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeroy151 View Post
    The newer Lee molds seem to be inconsistent quality and are for low number count casting, meaning, they seem to wear out pretty quick. If I was gonna cast more than 1000 projectiles I would consider getting a better mold. I don't have a need for more than a 2 hole mold. One of my favorite molds is an old Lee single mold .312, 125 grain projectile. The aluminum block are damaged easily and the base area where the cups are pressed on gets damaged easily and then the sprue cutter gets a little loose and you end up with flash and it becomes extra work.
    I had a 6 cav that wore out after 2000 boolits. Made nice ones while it worked though and I learned on it. No regrets really. I'm moving to brass and cast iron once I figure out what my favorite guns like.

Boolit Master

I'm not sure I'd put 1000 as a lee mold use full lifespan. I have 3 lee molds ( (2) .358 & (1) .454 ) that I picked up about a year ago. I bet I ran a thousand out of each in the first month I had them. I usually run 300-400 at a time and the molds look great so far. Care and use and storage habits IMHO have as much to do with mold lifespan as anything.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    I had a 6 cav that wore out after 2000 boolits. Made nice ones while it worked though and I learned on it. No regrets really. I'm moving to brass and cast iron once I figure out what my favorite guns like.
    Wow.. You opened and closed it 334 times and its worn out?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    Yep, Lyman #2 is what I use for Alliant 2400 loads.
    Its very forgiving and versatile.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    Wow.. You opened and closed it 334 times and its worn out?
    Yeah, I learned on it. Ran it too hot, did'nt lube the sprue plate and pins enough. Nube mistakes........

Boolit Master

Yeah, the steel sprue plate on an aluminum mold, that can for sure get you. That's understandable.

At least you learned on a relatively inexpensive mole and not a noe.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast