Snyders JerkyRepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Photobucket just shot themself!

Moderator Emeritus

correction:
    I seemingly can't even enter the website right now (let alone login?)...maybe all the traffic of people downloading all their photos OUT OF photo bucket.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Yes, I believe she has crashed.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    I must have been sleeping. I just uploaded a picture and linked to a thread here this morning with no problems. What is the issue you are having?
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Master

It seems to be the people with a lot of photos (100s-1000s) that are affected. I'm guessing there is a threshold of so may Mb ot gigs of data in the folders that received the notices and are affected. Basically, people too invested with PB that changing is more of a hassle than forking over $399.

I suspect that Photobucket will make a good deal of money off of their ransoming every ones photos. Give it a few years and people will be talking like "There used to be a website called Photobucket".

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Moderator Emeritus

or...
    I wonder if PB hasn't been unprofitable (ever), like so many other tech companies, and maybe ownership/management changed? or just a decision by owner/board of directors to charge users as a hail mary ?

either way, I suspect Murphy is correct, "Give it a few years and people will be talking like "There used to be a website called Photobucket". "
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Basically, people too invested with PB that changing is more of a hassle than forking over $399.
    I started posting there because it was free. I opened another account there, when my first one grew too large and they wanted me to fork over some money, because it didn't cost anything to open another.

They would have to be smoking crack if they think I would pay $400 for something I used because it's free.

I imagine I will see "ok how about $200, $100, $50, etc" but they started all wrong with people. They should have done it like our Government and started out with something small and just keep creeping it up like taxes. Doesn't seem like there are as many people mad about being robbed that way or they would quit electing the same people.

I don't really own my home because if I don't pay the extortionists every year the police will remove me from it and the county will sell it to someone that will pay them. I guess it's kinda of like the Mob.

They trickle in other robbery everywhere on top of that too. If I work, when I get paid they take a cut of it. If I save it in an interest earning account, they take a cut of it. If I decide to spend some of the money I worked for, they take another cut.

I suppose it's not the same for everyone though I am sure through my efforts there are a number of people who don't have to work at all or pay any income taxes, rather just receive checks because the Government decided they needed my money more than I did.

So there is your solution, just vote democrat, quit your job and tell them you need a government controlled photo host. If your lucky it will work 66% of the time.

With a little thought. It sucks photobucket did this but I guess they were not making enough money on the kajillion pop ups they forced their users to go through. It was free and you always get what you pay for. At least I can wash my hands of them and find what I want elsewhere.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Yup, I had it happen 4-5 days ago. Ransom was $100.00 min per year, so I went to postimage.org, they have no problem with third party sharing. I was lucky to have a master file on my images which I pull from when I was downloading to PH, so I still have quick access to them. I created new galleries and just downloaded my specific gallery files to same gallery on postimage, unbelievably fast. 230+ images took less than 10 minutes. I dropped 500+ images in less than 30 minutes. I had noticed other members that had the clock image and PM'd them with my solution, I won't spend the time to download the PB files, at most I may email some of them to myself if I find I don't have the image but other than that my use of PB is done. Ya'll pass the word on all other forums you use. Best, MOA

well today photobucket restricted my account to 3rd party posting. the funny thing is i don't really use photobucket much but now that they are strong arming me to the tune of $399.00 for the 217 photos i have in my account there i will just download my savers and just find another way for photos.
    Rick

I've seen another thread on this subject, so I went to my PhotoBucket account to find out what was going on. Other than a pop up that offered ad-free hosting for $29.88 per year (which I declined), I had no issues. Just to be sure, I inserted one of my photos from PhotoBucket. It seems to work fine, no cost.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	T250_zps2marskgc.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	199362

This is one of my swaged bullets and a target fired with them.

Boolit Master

Tatume, how many pics do you have in PB and how many of the ones posted are 3rd party shared?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by BK7saum View Post
    Tatume, how many pics do you have in PB and how many of the ones posted are 3rd party shared?
    He needs to give it time. They are slowly going through the members. The charge has been posted on their site.

Boolit Grand Master

I never had the technology to post pictures, so I have no consternation over this problem. Guess being less than PC literate may be a good thing. My only problem is not seeing the photos you all posted to illustrate your subjects.
    Time marches on and I'm sure there will be another name to replace PB.
    I can remember having to make a trip, to the next town, to visit a very small library, with info on a very limited number of subjects, but at least it wasn't Politically Correct, and it was free.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010015.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	199413Just tried it minus Photobucket and it worked.

Banned
    This is going to blow up in their faces. You see, that ransom note in place of all those photos is going to show up all over the internet, daily, and each time it stands as a reminder of their bullseye.

Boolit Grand Master

I got my pictures downloaded from PB and moved to imgur, it took multiple tries though as I'd start to download it would fail"server error". My photos are still on PB and I'm getting email saying I used them for third party hosting, my account has been changed and they want 399.00 to continue. Bye bye PB
    Charter Member #148

Banned
    Every time I see that PB image on a forum I have to shake my head. They had a big corner of the market. If they had started with a sliding scale having $39 at the top end instead of $399 they would have had a much better chance or making money.... Talk about sticker shock. I wonder what they are going to do with those servers when all their patrons have left. No more advertising money, who's going to advertise on a dead/dispised site!

Transferred about half of my photos from Photobucket last night, but it started running so slow I gave up mid way through. Probably all of the heavy traffic of folks like me closing their accounts. So far Imgur is quick, easy, no drama, no advertising, and working fine for posting photos ...
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master

Looks like they got me too, not my pictures, but all the research pictures from this site, all except one I made a print of. Oh well that's life.
    Bill

Boolit Mold
    A ridiculous stratgegic mistake, that already has already started blowing up in their faces, just like the gouging scandal by that pharmaceutical company. They might make enough by this move to pay for their funeral though. I have a PB account but there are only a few photos on there, still it made me mad enough to boycott them forever. Even if they backtracked now I would. I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels this way. I set up an account at CubeUpload.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast