Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Speer on primer availability

Speer on primer availability

Contacted Speer today and asked when will primers start becoming more available. This is a direct cut and paste of their answer. Can anyone see an answer to the question?

Victor: ATK has achieved its market leadership position in the ammunition
    industry by delivering innovation and quality. We continue to work seven days a
    week, making multiple daily shipments to meet the current demand and deliver
    quality products to our customers.

Shoot Straight!
    Coy Getman
    2299 Snake River Ave.
    Lewiston, ID 83501
    CCI/Speer Sr. Technical Coordinator
    (866) 286-7436

When do you expect to have primers availible to the public in sufficient
    quanities.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    Yep, they are running full speed and continuing to ship.

May not be the answer you wanted or like, but that IS the answer.

Clearly the obamanation is Causing a huge over load with the demand waaaay out pacing the supply/production.

I was in the Black Sheep sporting goods last Thursday, located in Lewiston, Idaho, home of Speer and CCI, and although they had a much better supply of components on the shelf then most places they were still limiting primer buys to 200 per customer per day.

The Black Sheep currently has the stock they have remaining simply because they were smart enough to make large buys of stock when it was still available. One of the counter people told me they saw this situation coming and bought accordingly.

Something which all of us should have done, learning our lesson from the Clinton years and the first obamanation.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Try calling Coy & see if he is the same over the phone. Rest assured they are in business to make money & I'd bet my 40 pound pot they are doing all they can. Perhaps the question you asked is impossible to answer? Are you needing primers? I have a few in Beckley.

Boolit Master

Don't worry Crusty, some of us did indeed learn our lesson from the primer scare of '93. I started stocking after we elected Bush the second time. I knew then our next president would be a democrat. Though I thought it would be Hitlary. Who the hell ever heard of Odammit?

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

They go right out to fill back orders. I've 5,000 primers on back order with Sinclair right now.

Quote Originally Posted by LAH View Post
    Try calling Coy & see if he is the same over the phone. Rest assured they are in business to make money & I'd bet my 40 pound pot they are doing all they can. Perhaps the question you asked is impossible to answer? Are you needing primers? I have a few in Beckley.
    Thanks for the offer. I have a few that will get me through for a while. I look at it this way, when I run out of primers I still have the smoke poles.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Buddy

A better answer would have been "We are working 24-7 and hope to have all orders filled in two weeks" Or "We are working 24-7 and hope to have all orders filled in two years", whichever was more truthful. But saying "We are doing the best we can" doesn't help give anyone a feel for how long this thing is going to go on.

Boolit Master

I'd say expand and add more workers, but then you'd have everything come to a slow down, and that new building & equipment would be idled and workers laid off

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by milrifle View Post
    A better answer would have been "We are working 24-7 and hope to have all orders filled in two weeks" Or "We are working 24-7 and hope to have all orders filled in two years", whichever was more truthful. But saying "We are doing the best we can" doesn't help give anyone a feel for how long this thing is going to go on.
    Probably because they have no clue. We keep having idiot shootings and politicians wanting more gun control, they shortage will keep going.

Boolit Master

Speer could answer that question if gave you them two pieces of data.

1. How many people finally realized that guns are worthless without ammo?

2. How long those people will remember No. 1?

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Master
    Not just us little guys in a pinch. One of the ammo remanufacture I have purchased from went from having inventory to now a 6 to 9 month back log, another one went from two weels backlog to 6 months back log in the past month. Both of these are not small in someone's garage operations and one I have know the owner for thirty years.

Bottom line is that we may have to cut way back on our shooting but remember some out there are now really having a difficult time to keep the doors open and thier workers employed. Some should point out to the DC gang that they perhaps are adding to the unemployment problem.
    NRA Patron Member
    Vet . 2nd of the 47th 9th.Inf. Viet Nam Mar. 67-68

Boolit Bub

I suspect they can’t answer candidly or more clearly because they don’t know for sure when supplies and production will get back to “normal.” In addition, I’m certain that they are inundated with the same question from all their customers, both large and small.

Their response reminds me of what I receive from Senators and Congressman on the subject of protecting the Second Amendment – all canned replies.

Why do I have a feeling that we are in for a long ride?
    Those who demand tolerance from others are usually the least tolerant of all.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by milrifle View Post
    But saying "We are doing the best we can" doesn't help give anyone a feel for how long this thing is going to go on.
    Manufacturers won't be able to give us a "feel for how long" because that depends on the market. How much will it take to satiate the market? / What is the rate of production? = If someone can answer question #1 then we will know how long.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Boolit Master

Big kink is UPS only allows so much powder and primers per truck. A buddy had a long wait on an order from Powder Valley and was told of the limit and that UPS will send a truck in the morning and one in the afternoon. The powder and primers were sitting there waiting to be shipped.

Boolit Bub

Quote Originally Posted by deltaenterprizes View Post
    Big kink is UPS only allows so much powder and primers per truck. A buddy had a long wait on an order from Powder Valley and was told of the limit and that UPS will send a truck in the morning and one in the afternoon. The powder and primers were sitting there waiting to be shipped.
    FedEx could help.
    Those who demand tolerance from others are usually the least tolerant of all.

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    Uhm... last I checked, speer didn't make primers for sale to the consumer; whether they make any for their own ammo I don't know. If it is allied with CCI then that makes more sense, but why not email CCI?

Banned

ATK [federal] owns speer/cci/blazer they are under one roof.
    the issue is we don't have any independant makers of reloading equipment/consumables really any more.
    even barnes is owned by a conglomerant now.
    hornady and sierra would be the closest we have, and hornady is using someone elses stuff for their components to make their ammo.

remember president billary closed down 4 of the 5 muntions plants used to make military ammunition and contracted the civilian makers to supply ammo on demand.
    one large order and civilians get put on the back burner,reloaders even below that.
    they were not even fully caught up from the last go-round when this one hit.
    i hope no-one needs any 348 win,7x57,35 rem type brass for a while, a long while.
    that seasonal run machine is busy punching out 223 cases.

They were more than capable of answering the question. They just choose not to. And NO that is not an answer. What you are doing is not an answer to the question. They should have said "based on current orders and production rates it will be at least 8 months for us to catch up to demand. Barring any changes in demand additional orders or cancellations will change this estimation, Please be assured we are working at capacity to get to that point as soon as possible"

I understand that talking to the average person at walmart. this would not be understood and would create more complaints later. But The bottom of the barrel usually doesn't reload. So when asked about primer availability The assumption should at least be made that the person asking is smarter than the average turnip.

The real bottom line is they don't feel like calculating it or responding in ernest. They just want you off their back so they can answer the next 10k emails.

Quote Originally Posted by deltaenterprizes View Post
    This should be irrelevant. the only reason this happens is to the end distributor that is actually sending small orders to customers. Orders from the factory to distributors is done via Frieght truck. They can haul 45,000 pounds at a time. The solution to this is to work out with ups to have multiple pickups per day so the shipments can be distributed. also adding additional carriers alleviates this even more. That is why the larger companies have multiple warehouses spread about to prevent this kind of thing. Where you live and package routing can be a serious issue. But most of it can be worked out. I used to drive truck contracted to UPS from the local station to the regional distro center. We hauled whole trucks full of hazmat that ups couldnt carry due to their limitations. Once it is at the distro center it gets put on a dozen different trucks which at least minimizes the effect.

If they are producing 24/7, demand will dictate availability, how could they have any real idea? I am sure they are making all they can to sell, the object is to make $$ after all. This is the 3rd time this has happened, all three under Dem pres. So at what point do reloaders/shooters pay attention? I did after Clinton, 5K min on hand, all sizes all the time. When you buy powder add, 1K primers, need them or not. In a year or two, you'll have a healthy primer supply & will have saved money. A couple months ago, I used the last 1K LP I bought back in 92, $9.95. Nice when replacement costs are now around $30.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast