Thread: Tamales

Tamales

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tamales.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	243075

I can eat those until I get ill.

But gosh its a lot of work to set up and make them.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Love them, but hard work.
    Never tell anyone you're making them. Then they want some. And you have to make extra. And you still don't get enough.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Yeah...especially don't tell me. I'll be right over! I'll even bring some Dos Equis.

Boolit Master

Sorry, I drink O'Doul's.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

I make these about once a year or so. Time consuming, but not that hard. I make like 12 dozen at a time, have a big tamale pot I got at HEB. Tilt at a 45 degree angle or more and just lay them down on one side and start packing them in as you make them. 12 dozen lasts me about a year. This is my goto site for the recipe and such. I think the key is getting the Masa mixture at the right consistency. Too stiff, and it is a PITA. Tamales originated with the Mayans, or maybe before they came along. Like the original MRE. A dozen in a grass bag would last a hunter or warrior for a week. Kinda like the native Americans used pemmican.

http://www.sonofthesouth.net/tamales/
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
    I make these about once a year or so. Time consuming, but not that hard. I make like 12 dozen at a time, have a big tamale pot I got at HEB. Tilt at a 45 degree angle or more and just lay them down on one side and start packing them in as you make them. 12 dozen lasts me about a year. This is my goto site for the recipe and such. I think the key is getting the Masa mixture at the right consistency. Too stiff, and it is a PITA. Tamales originated with the Mayans, or maybe before they came along. Like the original MRE. A dozen in a grass bag would last a hunter or warrior for a week. Kinda like the native Americans used pemmican.

http://www.sonofthesouth.net/tamales/
    Looks like a great recipe and guide, and definitely a good story.

Thanks for sharing it.

BDGR

Boolit Grand Master

There is a guy in Clarksville Mississippi that makes some really good ones. Larry's BBQ. A friend will take orders and we'll make a run. Its 120 miles but well worth the trip. We'll usually bring home 125-130 dozen between all of us. They make a pretty quick meal on the nights that you just don't feel like cooking.

Boolit Master

I vacuum pack mine with a food saver, 6 to a pack. Get one out of the freezer, stab it with a knife 4 or 5 times on one side and put in the microwave for 3 minutes. Come out steaming hot. Quick meal. Love 'em with a big pot of chili in the winter.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master

Mmm
    Mmmmmm
    GREAT EATIN.
    We do make some, but have gotten lazy since we have found some decent ones at Costco.
    Trouble is they don't always have them!
    Steam those suckers up, add a little home made red sauce and we are are talking eatin!

Some REALLY LOUSY ones in the Mexican restaurants in the area.
    I even commented how bad one restaurant's tamales were.
    They countered that they were a famous recipe from Santa Fe.
    I wrote up a response, but just deleted it and let it die.
    NOTHING like a good tamale or three smothered in Red.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    There is a guy in Clarksville Mississippi that makes some really good ones. Larry's BBQ. A friend will take orders and we'll make a run. Its 120 miles but well worth the trip. We'll usually bring home 125-130 dozen between all of us. They make a pretty quick meal on the nights that you just don't feel like cooking.
    if you are familiar with mississippi
    corner of I-55 and Hwy 84 the gas station lil mexican girl makes some pork hot *** tamalas. very very good

Best tamales I've ever had were from my neighbor across the back wall from me. I'd probably paint her house for her if she offered that in exchange for a few dozen of her tamales!

I attempted to make them once. They were okay. Not hugely great, but okay. Made my own red sauce which was actually very good and the filling I made was also pretty dang good. I just don't have the knack for spreading the masa on the husks the right way. One of these days.... It's a huge project but worth it, even for my lousy tamales!

Best local restaurant here for tamales is Posa's in Santa Fe. If you're ever in the area, it's a great stop for lunch. Of, if you really want, they'll ship 'em to you! https://santafetamales.com/ They make the best menudo in town, too......

****. Now I'm hungry........

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.