Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I need advice for a good kitchen knife and butcher block set for my wife.

Boolit Buddy

I need advice for a good kitchen knife and butcher block set for my wife.

I am looking for a good kitchen knife and butcher block set. It will be a Christmas gift for my wife. We do not have a good set now. I would like this to be the last ones we buy. Of course we can't break the bank. Something under 300 bucks. Is this possible or am I dreaming? Like everything else quality is important.

Thanks

Boolit Master

Smokey Mountain Knife Works has a set of Henkels (sp?) twins Pro S professional knives with a block on sale for $199.00 through Christmas. You won't find a knife set of better quality anywhere, and the price is RIGHT! They do mail order and they ship.

Boolit Buddy
    You sir, are a brave man. Giving a woman kitchen knives for Christmas.
    CF
    Vote Independent, vote Republican, vote Democratic, just don’t vote Incumbent!
    I believe in the Bible, Freedom, the Constitution, the Bill of Rights and personal responsibility. My government believes I am narrow minded, intolerant and dangerous.

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
    Ontario Knife Co.
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud

Henckels...the professional grade...absolutely nothing like them...have a full set that is over 30 years old...sharpen like a fine razor and last and last and last...no dishwasher for the handles however...be like putting a fine revolver with high quality grips in the dishwasher. If you buy Hendkels you will never buy another knife.

a link to one vendor...should be someone local to you or Amazon, etc.

http://www.knifecenter.com/brand/186...-J.A.-Henckels

Boolit Buddy

The knives are not the only gift. I have a strand of green/black pearls as well. She has put up with a set of knives that were not cared for by my ex. Never complained. She is simply fantastic. She will care for these knives. And they will make life a bit easier.

Boolit Buddy

Handles.... Wood or zytel? I am not sure what zytel is.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer1 View Post
    Handles.... Wood or zytel? I am not sure what zytel is.

Thanks.
    The set of Henckels 5 star I bought years ago have wood handles (black) with 3 rivets in them....I wash them by hand and dry them...blades and handles look like new....You may not be able to find any of the 5 star around these days...they were killer expensive and mostly for the professional market (and obsessive cooks like me)..the 4 star are wonderful knives and make a great addition to any kitchen..you can pick and choose something like 6 or 7 knives and fit them to a ready made block. Again, with the wood handles I'd not figure them for the dishwasher but any quality knife will suffer from the dishwashing and become dull...Lots of info and reviews on Google and Duckduckago for Henckels.

Boolit Buddy

I am looking at the twin pro s with zytelhandles for 199.99. It is 7 pieces. Good choice? Or would you recommend a different one?

Moderator Emeritus

Last edited by Artful; 11-23-2013 at 11:43 PM.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master

We purchased a small set of Wustof Classic (German I think) at Bed, Bath, & Beyond. The wife is VERY happy with them. Exceptional quality.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Buddy

Wow, ya,ll are great. I thought this was going to be easy. This is going to take a bit longer than I figured. Please, keep the ideas flowing.

Thanks very much.

Moderator Emeritus

My Forschner set is pushing 15 years old, 10 years it spent riding around all summer to BBQ catering events. Sharpen about once a year otherwise just steel it.

Boolit Grand Master

The best quality for the money that I have found is Cutco knives.
    Made in the USA, lifetime warranty, and very very well made. I used to make knives, and I'm a pretty demanding customer, but I can tell you that Cutco get's the MBT stamp of approval.
    I have the big chefs knife, a carving knife, some paring knives, and a spatula. All are absolutely superb.
    The chefs knife is my very favorite. If your wife doesn't feel like sharpening them, then she can send them back to be sharpened for free.
    Personally, I have a very nice 18" steel and the Cutco's take to that like a duck takes to water. They are easy to sharpen, but hold that edge like gambler holds a bad deal of cards!

I've used most of the top brands, but Cutco is the best for the money. If you want to save a little on cost, buy a used set on ebay and send them back to be sharpened. My mom has made many a christmas gift of resharpened Cutco knives over the years since I told her about them, and she has acquired a pretty impressive collection herself.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

I am looking at the twin pro s with zytelhandles for 199.99. It is 7 pieces. Good choice? Or would you recommend a different one?

Sounds like the set I bought for my wife a 7+ years ago. Still work great. I bought one of the motorized sharpeners for the fancy kitchen knifes and it returns them to the original sharpness in no time. You can get that for her later, but don't expect her to appreciatethe sharpener as much as the knives!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by goodsteel View Post
    The best quality for the money that I have found is Cutco knives.
    Made in the USA, lifetime warranty, and very very well made. I used to make knives, and I'm a pretty demanding customer, but I can tell you that Cutco get's the MBT stamp of approval.
    I have the big chefs knife, a carving knife, some paring knives, and a spatula. All are absolutely superb.
    The chefs knife is my very favorite. If your wife doesn't feel like sharpening them, then she can send them back to be sharpened for free.
    Personally, I have a very nice 18" steel and the Cutco's take to that like a duck takes to water. They are easy to sharpen, but hold that edge like gambler holds a bad deal of cards!

I've used most of the top brands, but Cutco is the best for the money. If you want to save a little on cost, buy a used set on ebay and send them back to be sharpened. My mom has made many a christmas gift of resharpened Cutco knives over the years since I told her about them, and she has acquired a pretty impressive collection herself.
    Can't believe it took so long for CutCo to pop up!

Must be the sleeper. They have my vote.

I have a set used daily for 40 years still going strong!
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Grand Master
    Mom has a set of Cutco knives and kitchen utensils that she bought about 1960 or 61. I haven't found anything I like better, so one of these years I will buy a set for myself (my brother has already spoken for these).

Robert

Boolit Buddy

Thanks folks. I have never heard of these brands. I think I will need to have my wife try the different brands to see what she likes best. I am doing the research that Artful provided. That was extremely helpful. I had no idea that this info could be found on line. Just never occurred to me to look for it. We are going to Bed,Bath and beyond today. We will look and handle some different brands. Cutco might be difficult to find locally. Getting a good set of knives, I am finding, is like finding a good set of molds. I will keep you posted. Thanks again.

I am looking for a good kitchen knife and butcher block set. It will be a Christmas gift for my wife. We do not have a good set now. I would like this to be the last ones we buy. Of course we can't break the bank. Something under 300 bucks. Is this possible or am I dreaming? Like everything else quality is important.
    Thanks
    I could not begin to advise you on knives...but a local to me custom woodshop makes beautiful cutting blocks with different woods - glued/laminated together than polished up for $20 each..
    No , I did not read that in a manual or stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.... it's just the facts Ma'am.

What's the difference between a pig and an Engineer ?
    You can argue with the Pig.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast