RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Computer Question

Boolit Man
    My Mom has been running Linux Mint, and before that, Ubuntu, for about 10 years now at my suggestion. She's 93.
    Don't want no one to git hurt, but if you're gonna have a wreck, I wanna watch.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by calm seas View Post
    My Mom has been running Linux Mint, and before that, Ubuntu, for about 10 years now at my suggestion. She's 93.
    That’s actually very impressive. Good on her.

Mint graphic scenes are good now, like win. Install from a >2gig thumb drive. Only problem is if computer wifi module is unsupported. Once you get internet, drivers are downloaded and all is ok.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by slim1836 View Post
    Kungfustyle,

I was typing as you were, very good post. I'll look into this after the holidays.

Thanks.

Slim
    If you need help pm me. or Kungfustyle@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by kungfustyle View Post
    If you need help pm me. or Kungfustyle@hotmail.com
    Thanks, it’s appreciated.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by R. Dupraz View Post
    That was definitely a scam!! It sound like some where in the past they were allowed into the PC. or gotten access by way of a scam phone call. Get it cleaned.

I have received similar scams on this Windows 10 over the years. A screen will suddenly appear and it cannot be deleted unless you answer. and the Pc is locked up. Following the advice of my computer tech. I just turned the computer off for a few minutes and then back on. The scam screen was gone and every thing was back to normal. Has happened may be three times in the last 10 years or so.

R
    open task manager (control/alt/delete simultaneously) and you can end internet task. then reopen and the blocking window will be gone. no restart required.

Quote Originally Posted by Rcmaveric View Post
    That's a new one. I have never heard of that. I keep backups. If I were ever locked out i would just format, fdisk and reload. Then restore my back ups.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    QUESTION FOR RCMAVERIC

How do you do your backups? Assuming to an external hard drive, what software do you use? What is the fdisk you refer to?

Thank you,
    Dipperman
    "Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades." D. Paulson

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dipperman View Post
    QUESTION FOR RCMAVERIC

How do you do your backups? Assuming to an external hard drive, what software do you use? What is the fdisk you refer to?

Thank you,
    Dipperman
    Like my digital reloading library and lifes work. I have a file sync program. There are several out there and I use SyncToy. It's not real time though.

I set my databases and libraries to sync my local file to my Drop box cloud folder (which real time syncs to the cloud) and to a thumb drive. So I can access my folders and files on my phone or on the go. I can edit my reloading diary or update my reloading log on my phone at the range. When I get home then wait for the drop box folder to sync and run synctoy to update my local files. The same work for the thumb drive or local files. All would stay up to date and current.

I do the same with my computer restores and pictures. But that just syncs to two external drives. I just select the main folder and sync it to two separate external drives. Thay way if one drive crashes I have have another. I have externals crash before.

The first initial sync takes a long time. But syncs after that are relatively quick considering the size and number of files.

FDisk.... sometimes formatting a computer isnt enough. FDisk erase is a older command line that wiped the partitions and data and created a new partition to start storing data on. Makes sure no program or code would work. Phoensics could still recover data due to how formatting works, but it would ensure no residual code could work.

Last edited by Rcmaveric; 12-25-2019 at 01:59 AM.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mosinuser View Post
    the whole business concept behind Microsoft NOW is they want to create yearly user fees to use the windows system, and the windows programs they make.
    Linux is growing on me because of those business licences. Apple annoys me with all their proprietary hardware that is always a year behind and software thats only compatible with other apple software.

Linux and Android really stole my heart with open source. Free and community supported.

"Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Rcmaveric - Thank you for your response to my questions.

Slim1836 - I am sorry if it looks like I tried to hi-jack your thread by asking questions of Rcmaveric. It was not my intent to hi-jack your thread. Sorry.

Dipperman
    "Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades." D. Paulson

Dang dam.

To the OP

I work for one of the world's largest tech companies. Dell

And I c ac n tell you with 110% accuracy that it was a scam.

Anytime a pc is locked and you have to pay someone to unlock it. Its Is a scam.

Most Real mom and pop shops. Bestbuy will fix that sort of crap for free.

They will make up the difference on your next purchase.

+ every tech person I know in the industry Hates scammers. And will do anything to thwart them.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Just an update, however, no conclusion.

I spent Christmas with my mother and never got to look at her computer, we had other priorities to contend with. She has bought another unit but is still using her old one since she had gotten it unlocked. She will use this time to get her stuff downloaded and set up her new one. She is like me in that we are not very computer savvy.

She had in the past sent it in for issues with it and stated that once she was locked out she contacted the factory to have it resolved. She told me she used the toll free number on her paperwork and not from any correspondence from an email. Please keep in mind she is 91 and is starting to have some issues.

Since my mother bought a new one I will be getting the old one once this issue comes up again, so it will be in about a year. Once I get my hands on it I will resurrect this thread and go from there. I do appreciate everyone's help and hopefully we will get some answers. That is as far as I got on the subject so i am no closer to getting an answer.

Thanks again to all who responded.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by justashooter View Post
    open task manager (control/alt/delete simultaneously) and you can end internet task. then reopen and the blocking window will be gone. no restart required.
    I like this recommendation! It has merit and should be tried First.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake McCracken View Post
    Yep, until you wanna run a piece of software. Then you gotta hope its available for linux.

I use linux for lots of my Amateur radio stuff. But if the program isnt made for linux... back to windows i go.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    No clue what your radio stuff is, Jake, But I use Fldigi in XP, Win7 in a VM, and on 3 different flavors of Linux to get signals over SSB. My radio needs are weather reports and charts.
    Last edited by calm seas; 12-31-2019 at 11:56 AM.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by slim1836 View Post
    Just an update, however, no conclusion.

I spent Christmas with my mother and never got to look at her computer, we had other priorities to contend with. She has bought another unit but is still using her old one since she had gotten it unlocked. She will use this time to get her stuff downloaded and set up her new one. She is like me in that we are not very computer savvy.

She had in the past sent it in for issues with it and stated that once she was locked out she contacted the factory to have it resolved. She told me she used the toll free number on her paperwork and not from any correspondence from an email. Please keep in mind she is 91 and is starting to have some issues.

Since my mother bought a new one I will be getting the old one once this issue comes up again, so it will be in about a year. Once I get my hands on it I will resurrect this thread and go from there. I do appreciate everyone's help and hopefully we will get some answers. That is as far as I got on the subject so i am no closer to getting an answer.

Thanks again to all who responded.

Slim
    Slim, put Linux ( I recommend Mint or Cinnamon for a rookie) on a thumb drive, and test-drive it...let your Mom do it as well. Doesn't change anything on the system.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by calm seas View Post
    No clue what your radio stuff is, Jake, But I use Fldigi in XP, Win7 in a VM, and on 3 different flavors of Linux to get signals over SSB. My radio needs are weather reports and charts.
    I'm a HAM radio operator as a hobby now. During my time in the Navy on Submarines one of my jobs was "downloading" the Weather Fax broadcasts. Since it was during the beginning of the internet age we used archaic technology and software to do it compared to what's available today, but it got the job done. I still download the WeFax broadcasts occasionally to show friends and sometimes just to bring back those memories.

Most of my contact logging software and some of the digital mode software is windows only. Some of the other software is written for both but most developers usually pick a platformand stick with it. Believe it or not I still have Ham Radio software and hardware that will only interface with a DOS machine! I have and use all 3 OS, I'm still a firm believer that while Linux may be easy to use as windows, since there are many many programs that are windows only, it's not for the "basic" computer user.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Jake McCracken; 12-31-2019 at 12:50 PM.
    Dignified? I signed up for brave and courageous, not dignified!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by wv109323 View Post
    A lot of the software companies are moving toward a software "lease" where there is a yearly fee. Updates are free but there is a yearly fee. This is cash flow to the software companies.
    MicroSoft is moving to that model for Windows
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12